New 2018 Colorado ZR2 - Icedragonmx's Trip Reports

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Also put my name on one of these campers...

vagabond_heading1.jpg

Now the waiting game starts! Can't wait to get the truck set up with the new Drifter!!!!

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Love the build! Picking your brain a little here...
1. What are you going to do with the rear seat space?
2. What made you choose the Drifter vs. GoFast, AT Summit, etc?

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Love the build! Picking your brain a little here...
1. What are you going to do with the rear seat space?
2. What made you choose the Drifter vs. GoFast, AT Summit, etc?

Thanks! The rear seat area will be a storage spot for select gear and allow for weight to be moved forward in the truck vs the back axle. I have a few too many hobbies and gear space was always an issue. Will be trying to turn the rear box into a living area with a fridge, microwave, inverter, house batteries, water storage, Nature's Head Dry Composting Toilet , exterior shower, fuel storage (rear bumper swing out), and more gear etc. so more space is better. 200W+ Solar will be going on top beside the canoe as well.

The Drifter was my #1 choice as it allows the canoe to be mounted on top while the camper is in use or when the truck is mobile without changing the tie down points. This is huge for me as I do a lot of trips with the canoes. Do a google image search for "icedragonmx canoe". Lol. That it is set up to survive less ideal weather and/or snow loads is also a bonus. I do winter camping a fair bit too.

Value was another huge interest as I am working within a fixed budget from the loss of my Xterra Pro4x and the insurance buyout etc. Tough to find a new truck and build it out to surpass the old one :) I need to do this in steps as the budget allows.

The Drifter's use of aluminium also was a huge benefit as it will be more resistant to damage and would be easier to repair locally. Would also survive more abuse. It also has a nice narrow profile for when going down heavily treed trails with lots of branches pushing in on the sides. Same reason was applied with going with a midsize vs full size truck. I can fit in tighter trails with this! No exterior extras to catch on stuff. I will however be mounting 4 MaxTrax's to the driver side of the camper but they should take a hit or two ;) Also easy to add to the original construction if I want to later as funds allow.

Last edited:

robertgcofield

I'm interested in removing the plastic bit underneath the rear seats, but leaving them in.. just to get a tiny bit of storage. Based on your tear down it looks like that is possible without any fab work?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I'm interested in removing the plastic bit underneath the rear seats, but leaving them in.. just to get a tiny bit of storage. Based on your tear down it looks like that is possible without any fab work?
I was hoping to do that, too (similar to the F150) but this picture makes me think full access to the floor is not possible to keep the rear seat functional.
Thanks, going to be a fun ride!
I don't think it would be possible to split the seating as the plastic molding and sub-frame for the seat are as one for the whole width...

sWa2Qns.jpg

icedragonmx

Adventurer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you re-attach the rubber buttons/pads to the metal sub-frame it should work without scuffing the bottom of the seats. Easy to try and you can always re-install the plastic if its not a success. The metal sub frame is key to supporting the seats not the plastic shroud.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Thanks! The rear seat area will be a storage spot for select gear and allow for weight to be moved forward in the truck vs the back axle. I have a few too many hobbies and gear space was always an issue. Will be trying to turn the rear box into a living area with a fridge, microwave, inverter, house batteries, water storage, Nature's Head Dry Composting Toilet , exterior shower, fuel storage (rear bumper swing out), and more gear etc. so more space is better. 200W+ Solar will be going on top beside the canoe as well.

The Drifter was my #1 choice as it allows the canoe to be mounted on top while the camper is in use or when the truck is mobile without changing the tie down points. This is huge for me as I do a lot of trips with the canoes. Do a google image search for "icedragonmx canoe". Lol. That it is set up to survive less ideal weather and/or snow loads is also a bonus. I do winter camping a fair bit too.

Value was another huge interest as I am working within a fixed budget from the loss of my Xterra Pro4x and the insurance buyout etc. Tough to find a new truck and build it out to surpass the old one :) I need to do this in steps as the budget allows.

The Drifter's use of aluminium also was a huge benefit as it will be more resistant to damage and would be easier to repair locally. Would also survive more abuse. It also has a nice narrow profile for when going down heavily treed trails with lots of branches pushing in on the sides. Same reason was applied with going with a midsize vs full size truck. I can fit in tighter trails with this! No exterior extras to catch on stuff. I will however be mounting 4 MaxTrax's to the driver side of the camper but they should take a hit or two ;) Also easy to add to the original construction if I want to later as funds allow.

That is going to be a hell of a truck. Are you thinking about living out of this thing for an extended period of time?

icedragonmx

Adventurer
That is going to be a hell of a truck. Are you thinking about living out of this thing for an extended period of time?

I do a lot of smaller 9 day trip at 6-7000km each year and want to expand on that, both in distance and mileage. It would be great with all the creature comforts too for the weekend exploring. :) This truck will allow for a lot more options when the camper is installed. If I was going to live off grid for a year or more I may want a trailer the size of a Airstream Sport 16' as a base camp.:eek:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I do a lot of smaller 9 day trip at 6-7000km each year and want to expand on that, both in distance and mileage. It would be great with all the creature comforts too for the weekend exploring. :) This truck will allow for a lot more options when the camper is installed. If I was going to live off grid for a year or more I may want a trailer the size of a Airstream Sport 16' as a base camp.:eek:

Agreed, the idea of living in a RTT for more than a few months doesn't sound that appealing.

I love where your build is going, can't wait to see it all come together.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
I had a nice 4 day weekend this August long weekend to try out the new truck on some bush trails in NW Ontario and took full advantage of the chance! I could not fit the canoe over the light bar that was finally installed by the dealer. This was a factory option package included in the price but missing from the truck when I picked it up. I had two of the bolts fall out on the newly installed bar on the 20km drive home and two more totally loosen off. 4 out of 6 is bad. Glad I noticed that prior to loading all the gear. I re-installed the bolts and brought some tools in case any more quality dealer install problems occurred. Even sent an email to the dealer service manager but didn’t even get a response. Thanks Murray Chevrolet!

Enough of the bad news, I now have my truck complete as it should be and the light are crazy bright. I will be trying to relocate them to the front of the drifter using as much of the factory wiring as I can. The light bar and light mounts will be up for sale ASAP. I did try load the whole back seat area with my recovery gear, MaxTrax x4, as well as various cases and bags for camping gear and extras. Lots of room as is. I may re-think installing a box there. An early start on Friday am and it’s time for some adventures. Enjoy the pics, I will let them do the talking! Lol

Start of the fun with dragging my shock through the dried mud. Glad I invested in the skid plates!

uiL5Af8.jpg

And a bit of the view…

OplHWmZ.jpg

Then to an old area for some pics of the new ZR2

HsFBDZq.jpg

7WwE6Iu.jpg

HfKX0TL.jpg

vfVDPBF.jpg

L8MNQ7i.jpg

PGA85Wj.jpg

Next day was more exploring in another area…

T3xNeCY.jpg

uP6aXpZ.jpg

LkcXcpr.jpg

Something about midsize vs full size…

5QmTW2G.jpg

tOYZEX0.jpg

And a reminder to mind my limits, lol

gksOFEs.jpg

Last edited:

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Then more trails and exploring

v4W6XqK.jpg

3kEgXh6.jpg

14DiCKh.jpg

8PhY7SD.jpg

ceDyq8B.jpg

FBReeT5.jpg

5Qba8x5.jpg

7lXGpm2.jpg

I got speared by a tree on the way back to my original campsite as some of the cut deadfall extended out a bit and hit directly on the front drivers side. No damage due to me crawling along

wEUN8tU.jpg

Back at camp for night #2

C6nir20.jpg

A run for gas and a hello from the locals and I was into a new area to look around in on day #3…

55WxBqU.jpg

Lots of deadfall from a big blowdown earlier, my Dewalt 20V Rec saw and 9ah battery to the rescue all weekend! A compact tool for quick fixes

cwiRZc0.jpg

At the end of a crazy long tree cutting trail I finally hit the shoreline I was aiming for! Success!!!

6eEAldk.jpg

On the way back I stepped down from trying this crossing. Did not want to risk getting stuck in the swamp as it continued for a fair bit.

8mXp7Yp.jpg

G07e5js.jpg

Some of the dead end trails required a tight turn around and some were outright blocked

95f7TSB.jpg

LePEm3K.jpg

Camp for the third night was less ideal but for a second the light looked like a new forest fire starting. Lots of areas were heavily affected by fires so my imagination took over for a second, lol.

UyQ3Mff.jpg

Last edited:

icedragonmx

Adventurer
The fourth day was another new area with a few things of interest along the way and approx. 45km of pure Baja bliss on the main trails. Loving the new truck on this stuff!

SyiGvYY.jpg

mc4MX0N.jpg

2vW2ZZ9.jpg

TnPnet5.jpg

And access to a new lake system I want to paddle soon,

h1IMsRQ.jpg

All good with my 4 day adventure and stretching the max range out of the new truck without touching the fuel reserves (60lt in jerry cans). Even with the 4 low crawling and Baja racing and highway and trail driving my average was “ok”. I am going to enjoy this new ride!

llugGyU.jpg

I did make a detour on the way back too just to get away from some of the long weekend traffic. Just a familiar area but nice for a break.

mDADOjx.jpg

UdFA8Zy.jpg

Till the next adventure, Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke