New 2018 Colorado ZR2 - Icedragonmx's Trip Reports

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Subscribed!

Thanks, hope to have more stories soon :)

Great pix! I really like the new Colorado...nice truck!

Thanks, I was trying to get a few good pics as it's still fairly new to me. The truck is great other than the low shock mounts on the rear (lowest part of the truck) and the goofy/useless door pockets (too small). The Lockers and suspension rock and this handles great in the corners too for a fun baja moment or two :p

I need to get back up to Ontario...awesome country up there!

It's has a huge potential for 4x4ing and canoeing etc. and the area north of Redditt is worth a look too (And Jones Rd ;))

icedragonmx

Adventurer
So just a short update. Had a fun weekend adventure with the ZR2 out for some off road adventures. Started in Rennie, MB with great weather trying out the truck on some rocks to see how it would do. Pal was spotting to make sure nothing touched on the new truck! That rear bumper came close on a few bumpy spots (needed a few rocks on one spot) and the rear drive shaft almost touched once. Only the transfer case skid plate (lots of rubs on this) and frame rail and slider were touched. Was fun trying the lockers out! Stopped for a road side scrabble on a local rock cliff then we then explored the Minaki, ON area logging roads for the rest of the first day and north of that on the second day. Had a crazy lightning storm and rain that night and drizzle in the morning. The sun tried to get out from behind the clouds in the afternoon making for a nice afternoon.

Found some great sandy campsites and more lakes to paddle on. Lots of the trails are really grown in and need some work. Was using the 20V Dewalt saw on a few huge trees and it worked great. Glad I picked up a new 12" carbide blade for the big stuff! Even went back to the spot where my old truck died and the water was way down and there was a whole new shoreline now! Was a great weekend of exploring even with the night of no sleep due to the storms. Going to be great when I get the camper on and the whole system working and a full size bed for back-country comfort. Just waiting on the Drifter to be made!!!

Rennie MB rock climbing fun…

kXpOPdX.jpg

yY32yJ9.jpg

OnpLIWk.jpg

Spotter for a possible drive shaft rub… even on a small step it almost touched

zdq2Wwb.jpg

rDLajFE.jpg

Up9Ze52.jpg

9FEuPkb.jpg

M2CELPn.jpg

Road side scramble on the way to Ontario...

upUTorX.jpg

Getting late…so many trails to check out

jO2GNz3.jpg

Tailgate cook out, I could get use to that!

hX8mgP8.jpg

Northern fun looking for more spots on day 2, lots of great lakes to go canoeing in…

0Q7TIn2.jpg

NYxMC5G.jpg

And a few trees that needed grooming

VvdNkjv.jpg

ZIRQyaC.jpg

ytAqFPA.jpg

dHfafef.jpg

Vqu2ih7.jpg

And plans for next years canoe trips are already starting

mGALC3l.jpg

Good times!

Last edited:

MCX

TalesFromTheDesert.com
Beautiful pictures. The more I read & hear about the Colorado ZR2, the more it sounds like GM hit a home run with this truck...super nice and capable right out of the showroom. How's the aftermarket look for Colorado?

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Beautiful pictures. The more I read & hear about the Colorado ZR2, the more it sounds like GM hit a home run with this truck...super nice and capable right out of the showroom. How's the aftermarket look for Colorado?

They are great without any aftermarket and the lockers (front and rear) engage and disengage way better than my Xterra Pro4x did. The suspension rocks both for crawling and high speed fun too! It also has the whole aftermarket support that Colorado's have seen for years and even the hide away winch bumpers etc for the ZR2's cutaway front end are also available. I even have a Vagabond Drifter wedge camper being made for this too. It's going to be a fun truck!

Reactions: MCX

David Trest

Thanks! The rear seat area will be a storage spot for select gear and allow for weight to be moved forward in the truck vs the back axle. I have a few too many hobbies and gear space was always an issue. Will be trying to turn the rear box into a living area with a fridge, microwave, inverter, house batteries, water storage, Nature's Head Dry Composting Toilet , exterior shower, fuel storage (rear bumper swing out), and more gear etc. so more space is better. 200W+ Solar will be going on top beside the canoe as well.

The Drifter was my #1 choice as it allows the canoe to be mounted on top while the camper is in use or when the truck is mobile without changing the tie down points. This is huge for me as I do a lot of trips with the canoes. Do a google image search for "icedragonmx canoe". Lol. That it is set up to survive less ideal weather and/or snow loads is also a bonus. I do winter camping a fair bit too.

Value was another huge interest as I am working within a fixed budget from the loss of my Xterra Pro4x and the insurance buyout etc. Tough to find a new truck and build it out to surpass the old one :) I need to do this in steps as the budget allows.

The Drifter's use of aluminium also was a huge benefit as it will be more resistant to damage and would be easier to repair locally. Would also survive more abuse. It also has a nice narrow profile for when going down heavily treed trails with lots of branches pushing in on the sides. Same reason was applied with going with a midsize vs full size truck. I can fit in tighter trails with this! No exterior extras to catch on stuff. I will however be mounting 4 MaxTrax's to the driver side of the camper but they should take a hit or two ;) Also easy to add to the original construction if I want to later as funds allow.

Do you have a sketch or reference pic of how this is going to be laid out? A ZR2 is likely going to be in my near future and I'm always eager to see other builds to get some inspiration on.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Do you have a sketch or reference pic of how this is going to be laid out? A ZR2 is likely going to be in my near future and I'm always eager to see other builds to get some inspiration on.

No sketch yet as I am waiting on the Drifter prior to any final plans. Some concerns too with where food storage will be and how to divide up the electrical needs from the truck and camper areas (microwave and inverter locations etc.). Looking at a ENGEL MT45F Combi fridge freezer as a possible solution for refrigeration too. Might be better to keep that where the rear seats were so it can benefit from the AC during the days driving. Lots of ideas but need to have my camper before I try too many mods. Right now everything is modular and/or portable and can be moved as needed. Will be great to have the camper mounted so I can see how much weight is on each axle too. I have been looking at the Toyota buildouts for ideas too. - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/vagabond-drifter-camper-buildout-and-mods.540940/

justbecause

perpetually lost
No sketch yet as I am waiting on the Drifter prior to any final plans. Some concerns too with where food storage will be and how to divide up the electrical needs from the truck and camper areas (microwave and inverter locations etc.). Looking at a ENGEL MT45F Combi fridge freezer as a possible solution for refrigeration too. Might be better to keep that where the rear seats were so it can benefit from the AC during the days driving. Lots of ideas but need to have my camper before I try too many mods. Right now everything is modular and/or portable and can be moved as needed. Will be great to have the camper mounted so I can see how much weight is on each axle too. I have been looking at the Toyota buildouts for ideas too. - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/vagabond-drifter-camper-buildout-and-mods.540940/

I have a really old ARB freezer and it has never seemed to mind even hot days in Alabama. I have had it in the back of an 80, trooper, and frontier. It was annoying heaving stuff rattle and the compressor run when it was directly behind the front seats so it lives under the camper shell now. Bumpy roads, covered in dust, its still going strong. I did always upgrade to large AGM batteries though, they can run a weekend + where as my regular batteries usually needed more frequent charging.

mekcanix

Camper
You actually drove that through Rennie??? I am very impressed! I have not been there in years as I was told that some folks have pretty much turned it into a hiway, but your pics sure brought back memories

icedragonmx

Adventurer
I have a really old ARB freezer and it has never seemed to mind even hot days in Alabama. I have had it in the back of an 80, trooper, and frontier. It was annoying heaving stuff rattle and the compressor run when it was directly behind the front seats so it lives under the camper shell now. Bumpy roads, covered in dust, its still going strong. I did always upgrade to large AGM batteries though, they can run a weekend + where as my regular batteries usually needed more frequent charging.

Thanks for the feedback, I had not even considered the noise issue. I guess in the back of the camper would work too as I would be sleeping through most of it! Would be running a proper battery reserve for that and the extras.

You actually drove that through Rennie??? I am very impressed! I have not been there in years as I was told that some folks have pretty much turned it into a hiway, but your pics sure brought back memories

I did turn around at a few crazy spots as it is still a new truck! Not really the right truck for crawling over huge ledges but seems to work great for the regular stuff. Will try find a pic of one of the "nope spots"...

Nope...

E4Tj3Kn.jpg

I was trying to get out without any rub marks on the plastic corners! lol Was very careful picking lines for now.

jw2gJJk.jpg

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
That terrain looks like northern Ontario, am I correct?

That’s awesome country you are in, love the old abandoned wood boat.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
That terrain looks like northern Ontario, am I correct?

That’s awesome country you are in, love the old abandoned wood boat.

Yep, this was north of Minaki ON, a great area to explore with lakes everywhere! The old wood boat can be found at 49.88777, -94.68710 but the trails are fairly tight!

Explorerinil

Observer
Yep, this was north of Minaki ON, a great area to explore with lakes everywhere! The old wood boat can be found at 49.88777, -94.68710 but the trails are fairly tight!
I love Ontario Canada, it’s such a beautiful place and the people are great! Those pics bring back good memories if spending my summers there and exploring trails and lakes.

Keep posting pics! I’m heading up to Kenora area next June and I can’t wait.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great thread and I really wonder if I should not have gotten the ZR2 instead of my Tacoma? Oh well always nice to have an excuse to change rides down the road.
Keep the great pics and exploration coming.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
I love Ontario Canada, it’s such a beautiful place and the people are great! Those pics bring back good memories if spending my summers there and exploring trails and lakes.

Keep posting pics! I’m heading up to Kenora area next June and I can’t wait.

There are some great areas just north of Kenora that you would love. I will have to send some GPS numbers your way before the trip if you are not afraid of a few tight trails! I am sure I will have a few more pics posted by then...:)

Great thread and I really wonder if I should not have gotten the ZR2 instead of my Tacoma? Oh well always nice to have an excuse to change rides down the road.
Keep the great pics and exploration coming.

Both the Tacoma and the ZR2 can play on the fun stuff. I just like having the ZR2's dual lockers under the factory warranty package deal! :cool: Just waiting on my camper and will then have a working system! Buddy just got a old Toyota that he will turn into a fun off road explorer. Going to be a fun summer next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles