New 2016 Titan Released

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Why is it that the current design trend for fullsize trucks must include a chrome grille the size of a barn door? That's my least favorite thing about all of the current options.

That being said, I don't think the new Titan looks bad. And I think the new Pro-4x looks pretty damn good. I like the styling at the back end a lot. Looking at it from the front 3/4 view, the grille does look kind of like a Ford, and I think the windshield and hood lines look like a Dodge. But take another look. The window lines and the way the windshield is raked and curved is 100% Titan. It's pretty difficult to find anything I seriously dislike about it to be honest. The interior looks pretty nice too. And with a diesel option, it's a pretty attractive truck.

It is a little bigger than I'd like though. Not sure why they didn't just keep it a half ton instead of making it a 5/8 ton. But whatever, Nissan has to do it's thing, right?

They are offeringboth a half ton and the heavier XD model, not sure if there is a physical size difference though

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The more I read about the new Titan the more confusing things get. This truck is flat out confusing! Everything about it is confusing…the body design is confusing (looks like a Ford from the rear, a RAM and Ford from the side…****** is this thing?), most of the media coverage is confusing, the creation of some odd new XD group that isn’t quite an HD truck but bigger/heavier than a LD truck meanwhile, their GVWR's are splitting hairs with HD trucks is confusing. Even the rear axle is confusing where some outlets are talking of a 13” rear ring gear while others are saying 10.5”. What is XD stand for anyway? Like a spin-off of “XM” was to “FM”? Now we have an “XD” opposed to an “HD”? And they will launch the light duty after the "XD"??

Their powertrain and truck model launch mix strategy also seems very odd with pumping out all “XD” diesels first. Well, they might as well grab as many initial so called ½ ton truck diesel sales as they can so all of the guys that have been foolishly screaming for a ½ ton diesel get theirs. It will definitely be interesting to see how many of those ½ ton truck diesel wishers put their money where their mouth is given the fact the cost spread between gas and diesel is growing further apart each day (currently almost $2 difference gallon here). Obviously, fuel cost is always a moving target and it is very unlikely gasoline will remain this cheap and the gas vs. diesel fuel cost gap will be THIS BIG for very long, but one thing that won’t change…… Diesels will always cost more to purchase, maintain, and repair. And by repair, be prepared to repair often as that is the way the modern diesels roll, even by the beloved Cummins.

I foresee this truck being greeted by a tough market later this year at a very bad time to be launching a ½ ton diesel truck, just like how hybrids have been taking a beating in sales. The Nissan execs must to be nervous as hell right now to be placing all of their eggs in a diesel basket (there must be some very strict engine buy quantity dictated by Cummins going on there for a product launch mix like that). I also predict the sales of this all-new unique truck will be propelled by heavy incentives right out of the shoot….If not out of the shoot, I predict heavy incentives will definitely arrive within the first year it’s on the market. The Titan and Tundra just seem like they are carrying on the legacy of the two old bastard trucks of yesteryear that never quite caught on either….Jeep J-Series and International pickups and even Studebaker before that. Both Nissan and Toyota should do what they do best and focus on great smaller trucks and leave the big stuff to the 3 that know what they are doing.

This will be an interesting truck to watch. Who knows, maybe it is the next greatest thing...Fred Diaz, who Nissan cherry picked from Chrysler is a pretty brilliant guy. Maybe he is onto something here. I think they are crazy

Anybody else find this entire new Titan launch confusing?

tyv12

Adventurer
Love the xd size, this is not new! Ford already has its max tow package which is pretty much a heavy half ton. This is gonna be killer with a cummins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allof75

Pathfinder
The Titan and Tundra just seem like they are carrying on the legacy of the two old bastard trucks of yesteryear that never quite caught on either….Jeep J-Series and International pickups and even Studebaker before that. Both Nissan and Toyota should do what they do best and focus on great smaller trucks and leave the big stuff to the 3 that know what they are doing.

I know this is the Nissan section, but that is a great way to put it. :sombrero:

arveetek

Adventurer
I, for one, am really excited about this new Titan! I mean, this is the perfect in-between truck that no one has built for years! If you wanted a diesel option, it's either been a small grocery-getter, or a heavy duty tow rig. Nothing in between. A 5.0L Cummins V8? That's totally awesome! I saw this engine at a trade show last fall (2013). Nissan has been working on this truck for a couple of years now.

I personally think it's a great thing to have a truck like this come to market. It's the first truck I've seen in years that actually has me excited.

Casey

sdemarcus

I believe that the new Titan will do great it's first year on the market, and maybe in its second year. On the other hand I think we will see a great deal of pre owned Titan XD's on the lots of dealerships in the years to follow. I for one refuse to jump on the diesel band wagon, and after people buy the new V8 Cummins turbo diesel (with a need style turbo) they will most likely want to jump off. I would have preferred to see them use a smaller less complicated inline 6. That much engine in a "recreational truck" simply requires to much up keep, and allows for to much to go wrong. I would however love to buy a gas version in about 10 years after the dust settles around this truck.

Now watch I'll be that guy with a new diesel Titan next year talking about how great it is (I hope not). Until then I will love and enjoy the Titan most people already hate.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Doesn't look bad perse just bland and nothing exciting. When I first saw it I thought it was a F150 with a GMC Sierra grill.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Would not surprise me if the xd with a cummins cost the same as a Ram 2500 with a cummins. Which would you buy? I know this is the Nissan section, but that Xd I think will have a tough time competing for what they are going to charge for it.

DesertFront

CONFUSED!
I like it but I just don't need a full sized pick up. They just don't have the maneuverability I like out on the desert. HOWEVER!, I do like the smaller Nissan truck and would love to see a Cummings TD 4 cyl in it when it's introduced in the US. And if it looks like the new Navarra than I just may end up owning a diesel Frontier one of these days.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I like it but I just don't need a full sized pick up. They just don't have the maneuverability I like out on the desert. HOWEVER!, I do like the smaller Nissan truck and would love to see a Cummings TD 4 cyl in it when it's introduced in the US. And if it looks like the new Navarra than I just may end up owning a diesel Frontier one of these days.

I heartily agree!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94