New 2015 G550 (suspension question)

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Hey guys, happy owner of a new 550, and have some questions about taking some of the wallow out of turning at speed. My LC 200 had the same problem until I put Radflo shocks and Eibach springs on it. I've already spoken to Radflo about some nice 2.5's with reservoirs, BUT I can't seem to find many shock selections.

I'm looking for a 30-40 mm lift, that provides a firmer feel in turns. The only two options I see other than the Mercedes color coded shocks are the ARB Gwagon shocks and the ORC (Eibach rebadge for $1800). The ORC's are criminally priced, and I heard the free height of the ARB fronts is actually lower than the OEM shocks after they have been on for a few weeks (which can cause shock displacement at full extension). Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

http://fourbyfourclub.com/W463SuspensionParts/W463SpringsORC2014.htm

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...uspension-now-Available-for-the-G-Wagon/page2

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I would like to call BS on the ARB springs having a problem with the "shorter" free length. I installed a set of the heavy front springs and medium rear springs on our G500 several months ago and there is NO WAY those springs would ever dislodge, move around, come loose, fall out, spin around, do kart wheels, etc..., etc..., etc... There is not enough articulation in the G's suspension for the shorter length to be a problem. You'd destroy your shocks and rip out your brake lines and ABS wires before you had a "problem" with the shorter free length of these springs.

The springs were good for 40mm of lift. They haven't sagged a bit in the ~8k miles we've put on it since install.

I like the lift and the ride the OME/ARB suspension provides. It does affect the steering a bit but that can be remedied. The price is great compared to "criminally priced" (I totally agree btw) ORC springs too.

I see you're in Portland... I'm happy to meet up and let you experience the ride/handling of the ARB suspension.

DiscoDino

Observer
I installed the ARB springs on my 2012 G500 and with the 2.5" RR Kings they DID pop out...so I had to go with the Iron Man springs instead. This is real-world trial. I am assuming with the OME/ARB shocks maybe that is not the case.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I installed the ARB springs on my 2012 G500 and with the 2.5" RR Kings they DID pop out...so I had to go with the Iron Man springs instead. This is real-world trial. I am assuming with the OME/ARB shocks maybe that is not the case.

Yeah, with the OME shocks at least, there is no way these springs would come out. Do you have extended brake lines and ABS wires? The point at which these springs would come out is right about the same point that the stock brake lines are stretched super tight.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
I'll definitely take you up on that offer! Many thanks. I'm really curious about the ARB setup because I had one on my landcruiser 200, before I went to Radflo.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I'm looking for a 30-40 mm lift, that provides a firmer feel in turns. The only two options I see other than the Mercedes color coded shocks are the ARB Gwagon shocks and the ORC (Eibach rebadge for $1800). The ORC's are criminally priced, and I heard the free height of the ARB fronts is actually lower than the OEM shocks after they have been on for a few weeks (which can cause shock displacement at full extension). Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

I think you should just jump up to the suspension kit from LeTech along with their portals, brakes and wheels. It's only about $70,000 ;) but it would be so beast!

Angelo1

Hi Eric, I have 14' LC and curious if you ditched the LC for the Gwagon for any paticular reason or kept it and added the G to the stable. I ask because I am thinking of purchasing a new G550 as it has been on my list for sometime but have heard it's not that comfortable on long trips with a family of 4 and I would take it off-road in places such as Moab "nothing insane" and many Colorado trails. Any experience you can provide from your ownership and the differences between the 200 would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Honestly, I would keep the LC200 and drop it off at Slee for the new OME bypass shocks, dual battery trays, sliders and a rear bumper with swing-outs (Slee is coming out with one soon vs. the ARB one). The 200 is a much better family hauler, has less drivers fatigue and is hell of a lot less expensive to modify.

With that said, I love my G550 for what it is. There are lots of narrow trails up here in the PNW, which lends itself much better to the narrow G. Wish I had the money for both of them simultaneously...

Hi Eric, I have 14' LC and curious if you ditched the LC for the Gwagon for any paticular reason or kept it and added the G to the stable. I ask because I am thinking of purchasing a new G550 as it has been on my list for sometime but have heard it's not that comfortable on long trips with a family of 4 and I would take it off-road in places such as Moab "nothing insane" and many Colorado trails. Any experience you can provide from your ownership and the differences between the 200 would be greatly appreciated.

Angelo1

Honestly, I would keep the LC200 and drop it off at Slee for the new OME bypass shocks, dual battery trays, sliders and a rear bumper with swing-outs (Slee is coming out with one soon vs. the ARB one). The 200 is a much better family hauler, has less drivers fatigue and is hell of a lot less expensive to modify.

With that said, I love my G550 for what it is. There are lots of narrow trails up here in the PNW, which lends itself much better to the narrow G. Wish I had the money for both of them simultaneously...

Thanks for the quick reply Eric. Did you get the active suspension button for comfort mode? If so, does it help? My rig is on IH8MUD. Noticed your sticker on the 200. I know Christo at Slee as he outfitted my previous 08' 200. I had him install my Slee sliders, lift and ARB onboard air compressor awhile ago on MY14. Of course the lift was put on just before the new OME bypass suspension came out and looks pretty great. Will install those soon. Yes, he is working on a rear bumper which will hopefully be better than the ARB as far as departure angle and being one solid piece. I love my LC but would love to have a G in my arsenal. Maybe I'll wait one more year to see what 2017 brings for the G, I doubt much change, while I see what SLEE has in mind for the LC. Please post some pics of your G when you get it modified or simply add bigger tires. Congrats on your new toy :)

Last edited:

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
I have the 2015. It's the last year of the non turbo 2015... super glad I got one of the last ones. Huge changes in 2017. First time in 35 years they are changing the body, with a host of other changes: http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercedes-to-overhaul-g-wagen-for-first-time-in-more-than-35-years/

Thanks for the quick reply Eric. Did you get the active suspension button for comfort mode? If so, does it help? My rig is on IH8MUD. Noticed your sticker on the 200. I know Christo at Slee as he outfitted my previous 08' 200. I had him install my Slee sliders, lift and ARB onboard air compressor awhile ago on MY14. Of course the lift was put on just before the new OME bypass suspension came out and looks pretty great. Will install those soon. Yes, he is working on a rear bumper which will hopefully be better than the ARB as far as departure angle and being one solid piece. I love my LC but would love to have a G in my arsenal. Maybe I'll wait one more year to see what 2017 brings for the G, I doubt much change, while I see what SLEE has in mind for the LC. Please post some pics of your G when you get it modified or simply add bigger tires. Congrats on your new toy :)

Angelo1

I love the turbos. It keeps that actual hp here in the high country where I live. At sea level it's not that important. I've had a couple naturally aspirated AMG Mercs and since I got my first Bi-turbo V-8, I could not believe how much better it performed. I test drove a 14' G550 and recently the 16'. Big power difference with no noticeable lag. If you plan on spending time above 5,000ft, the difference will be very noticeable.

I keep hearing that the body will be a bit wider and the interior more modern for 2017. I'm not a fan of overloading a legend with so many electronic gadgets that makes it more of a lease instead of a long term vehicle. They need to keep it simple and highest quality availabile.

If they get crazy with it, I'll order a '15 before it's cancelled

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior