New 2014 Xterra Owner- Icedragonmx's trip reports

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Toyota guy here - just wanted to check out what else is being driven out there. I recently saw a really nicely kitted-out Xterra on our way back from a family vacation in Mexico so had the bug to look over here and see "what's what" - yours is the first thread I read.

Great trip, great pics, great ride, great canoe.......and CONGRATS on getting done with that mortgage - AWESOME!

Thanks so much! A Toyota would be welcome on any of my trips. We have had Jeep and Dodge on the last one! Yours would definitely be up for the adventures if you ever get nearby. Might need to bring a much bigger canoe if you bring the whole family, Lol ;)

icedragonmx

Adventurer
That looks like a fun little area to explore. By the way, I dig that hood decal you have on there.

Thanks, I got a lot of good comments on the decal. I think most of Canada is a fun area to explore. I need to start planing for a East Coast Trip after the recovery upgrades!

Wow, didn't know my exterra could do those things:) beautiful country.

They can do that and a lot more! I am still just getting comfy driving this! Will play harder soon!

Nice pics. Where's that power line trail?

Think north of Roche Lake, BC - 50.504310, -120.202100

icedragonmx

Adventurer
A picture of the Nav system installed.

iPad Air 2 128GB with 31.8 GB of maps loaded West Coast to Ontario and extras (more to be loaded soon)
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/oem/sensors-and-boards/glo-/prod109827.html
http://www.arkon.com/product/TAB806-ipad-wall-mount.html
http://topomapsapp.com/

Going to be a fun off road extra!!!!

IMG_7392_1_zpsxt3zh7dp.jpg

And a camera mount to capture some of the fun

IMG_7395_1_zps7dcl0ona.jpg

icedragonmx

Adventurer
A winter trip to explore/scope out areas north near Black River etc. and other various spots “close” by. Was very pumped thinking there would be a great area to explore but found the terrain was going to be too swampy in the summer for too much wandering.

Starting north of Pine Falls, Manitoba taking the main trail going northeast after turning onto the logging roads… Icy wet conditions with somewhat solid trails underneath.

1%207_zpso5zcjtwp.jpg

Dead end at Black River 50.785378, -95.716466
A nice spot midpoint between the two highways with a known canoe route down the length of the river from one end of the highway to the other.

1%202_zpspskxv6fi.jpg

1%201_zps4gzb31oe.jpg

Trail going east from west…

1%203_zpslijno5ba.jpg

1%204_zps8ulehizl.jpg

Was worried about posting the truck between two layers of ice but this was still early in the season. Was able to scrabble back onto the top layer whenever it broke through the ice. In some areas it would have been impossible to access solid anchor spots as the tree lines were on the opposite side of flooded ditches with a thin layer of ice on top. 4'+ deep. Too cold for a swim! Lol

Trying to head south towards Maskwa Lake on main trail 50.61991 -95.63301 I might have tried to cross this is if I had some better recover gear and HD chains for the tires. Might go back in the late summer to explore the possibility of going to the right of the beaver dam keeping the one set of tires up on the berm. I did not want to slide into the swamp on the right in these conditions while driving alone.

1%208_zpstkx40fqc.jpg

A side trail towards Donner Lake

1%206_zps8pj1fyjx.jpg

1%205_zpsj5inwuax.jpg

I had a dash camera running for this and will try edit the videos into a short little window into the driving conditions. I might be adding a pull pal into the wish list as a portable ground anchor may have been wise in some of these areas.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I'm subscribed! Awesome journeys.

Thanks for the comment!

My attempt to upload a HD video to photobucket was a nightmare, so that's on hold for now. I need to learn how to shoot some better angles etc. I did grab a neat shot within the city limits today... This was on Saskatchewan Ave in Winnipeg, MB.

IMG_1099_1_zps4x6serax.jpg

I wonder how many MaxTrax's I would need to stay on top of these drifts, Lol

Last edited:

AOTF

Wow! Awesome!awesome!awesome!!!I've been interested in the Garmin Glo and iPad as I'm running an almost outdated and un supported Garmin 376. I like your style man keep them coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icedragonmx

Adventurer
I believe you would need ALL the MaxTrax...all of them.

Too Funny! I am trying to get in on the group buy for two sets of MaxTrax. This would be a huge benefit in the snow and sand and as a bridging tool/ramp.

I would 'like' this comment if I could. Awesome trip photos and narratives. Keep them coming.

Thanks! Will hopefully have more photos soon!

Wow! Awesome!awesome!awesome!!!I've been interested in the Garmin Glo and iPad as I'm running an almost outdated and un supported Garmin 376. I like your style man keep them coming! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! The iPad and Glo GPS system will open a lot of new areas for me that the on board system can't show. I can also travel remotely with this as both have a 10hr battery and can both be charged off a USB cord. Could even take it canoeing!

In Other News...

I did get to order a Wyeth-Scott Power Puller Amsteel Blue® Synthetic Rope 3 Ton Model from Tree Stuff - http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1856 Looked like a great price and a proven recovery tool. Will update when I get my first stuck of the season.

1856.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles