New 2014 Xterra Owner- Icedragonmx's trip reports

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Edit - photobucket fix for chrome users here - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=en
Download allows users to see all the photobucket pictures, new imgur pictures starting on page 10...

Just a short intro from a new 2014 Nissan Xterra Pro4x owner. I have a few plans for my X but just needed a first trip to see how it would handle.

My new 2014 Xterra, picked it up Thursday and went 4x4 Saturday. Thule rack installed from a previous vehicle. Recovery gear included a snatch block, 5/16 cable, two 2” recovery straps, come-a-longs x2, grade 70 chain, axe saw, etc.

IMG_0614_zpsf0dd01a6.jpg

First issue is those mud flaps

IMG_0584-1_zpsf5e86ae8.jpg

Some pics of the trail in to the beach

IMG_0594_zps9d319c3c.jpg

IMG_0596_zpsc0d6ea84.jpg

IMG_0632_zps392f06b7.jpg

Going to need a more aggressive tire!

IMG_0645_zpsae059445.jpg

A couple from the canoe, a Swift Keewaydin 15 Carbon fiber Pack boat

IMG_0674_zps01958334.jpg

IMG_0678_zps4d1cb825.jpg

IMG_0717_zps2c6819ac.jpg

Need a better way to have a bug screen in the rear windows, any hints or links? I want a bug screen permanently installed in the rear windows.

IMG_0748_zps7becdabc.jpg

More trail pics

IMG_0827_zps9043bdec.jpg

IMG_0856_zps423be3af.jpg

Reason for better tires is the mud… any worse than this and it starts to loose traction
IMG_0883_zpsd23514b0.jpg

Room with a view from the top of the falls
IMG_0894_zps5df1d592.jpg

Know your limits, lol
IMG_0897_zps6ec77650.jpg

A pic from a previous trip of the falls from below
May17to18-14086_zps25b9035a.jpg

Now my list of “to buy items” is as follows…

Large Ceiling Net for the rear roof line from Raingler- http://www.raingler.com/#!nissanmerch/c1art for the camp stuff and something to hang the paddles up high Got it!

Sliders and rear bumper with the tire mount, do the sliders stick out enough to use as a step to walk around the truck and reach the roof rack?

Edit--- Found a slider that may be best for the step up to the roof rack- White Knuckle Off Road - http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/nissanxterra.htm

Edit--- Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC's in 285/75/16 x5 and will do the melt mod. Edit- Got them mounted Oct 31st with the spare underneath

A power converter and spare battery will be in the future too, as well as some mods for stealth camping. I can fit in the back to sleep with the seats down and a thermarest propped up with a 8 gal action packer in the rear seat footwell.

Not sure what to do for a solid light weight front bumper and winch mount. Looking to use a Warn M8274-50 ? Anyone have one on a Xterra?

Cheers!

Last edited:

skibum315

Explorer
8274 is a big winch for the X (also one of the heavier options, no?) ... most "mass produced" (ie, you didn't make it) bumpers for our trucks are designed around the winch package that puts the motor off of the end of the spool, and has a removable solenoid/contactor pack. Your best bet, if you're dead set on that winch, is going to be one that has an open top plate ... like the Calmini plate bumper: https://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=37&t=6&p=460&n= That particular one (shown in the picture) has a newer style of bar setup, but I believe they can do others as well (I've seen a few with an older bar style that's more like what ARB uses, and I believe they can do a flat-top with no bars as well). Personally I'm not a huge fan of that bumper's lines, and am more partial to a Shrockworks front profile, with no hoops ... but I will say that the engineering and retention of crash performance that comes with the ARB offering is certainly very appealing.

Sliders are definitely handy to access the rack, and I've used mine often for that (just watch it if you're in ski boots - ask me how I know!!) ... but usually more-so with a door open, either I'm too big or they're too small to effectively use them as a platform to circumnavigate the vehicle above ground. Though, with some care, I suppose you *could* ... I usually just use it as a step for specific reaching, and then usually from the back door area. The rear tire, and rear bumper steps also come in handy in this regard; the rack is a bit further back than I often realize ... especially the part aft of the enclosed box.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
8274 is a big winch for the X (also one of the heavier options, no?) ... most "mass produced" (ie, you didn't make it) bumpers for our trucks are designed around the winch package that puts the motor off of the end of the spool, and has a removable solenoid/contactor pack. Your best bet, if you're dead set on that winch, is going to be one that has an open top plate ... like the Calmini plate bumper: https://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=37&t=6&p=460&n= That particular one (shown in the picture) has a newer style of bar setup, but I believe they can do others as well (I've seen a few with an older bar style that's more like what ARB uses, and I believe they can do a flat-top with no bars as well). Personally I'm not a huge fan of that bumper's lines, and am more partial to a Shrockworks front profile, with no hoops ... but I will say that the engineering and retention of crash performance that comes with the ARB offering is certainly very appealing.

Sliders are definitely handy to access the rack, and I've used mine often for that (just watch it if you're in ski boots - ask me how I know!!) ... but usually more-so with a door open, either I'm too big or they're too small to effectively use them as a platform to circumnavigate the vehicle above ground. Though, with some care, I suppose you *could* ... I usually just use it as a step for specific reaching, and then usually from the back door area. The rear tire, and rear bumper steps also come in handy in this regard; the rack is a bit further back than I often realize ... especially the part aft of the enclosed box.

Thanks for the reply. I just like the line speed on the Warn. The Shrockworks Bumper is a nice one and if something like the WARN XD9000i fits that would work too. Was hoping the Warn M8274-50 had been done on a Xterra but will hunt through the site to see if anyone has tried and posted pics. Sounds like I could maybe get the slider to work as a step, using the rear door, tire, and rear step right now.

Will be using this on 7000km round trips to the West Coast every year so need it to be comfy as well as trail worthy.

Really really nice pics :) Glad to see the X getting used.

Thanks!

Dmski

Adventurer
Sweet pics and Xterra! What a cool place to just off road right up to the lake. Did you have to use the locker any time?

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Sweet pics and Xterra! What a cool place to just off road right up to the lake. Did you have to use the locker any time?

Used it once when the suspension was maxed out in the sand/gravel ravine washouts and again in the mud when the skidplates were touching bottom. That and a bit of wheel spin to clear the treads in the mud. The rock stuff was too straight forward for any big tire lifting action on this trail. I used to go hardcore with an old Zuk with all the extras including dual lockers, 4:56 and 4-1 transfer case and 32" Swamper TSL-SX's. I still remember a few cool spots from those days! Might have to go look at a few again after the sliders are installed.

Also ordered the rear overhead cargo net and picked up two 8 gal action packer containers for the rear camping setup. Going to be a fun ride!

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Ok, a little update from the last weekend. Got out and had a chance to drive around a bit. Did get to try the locker out and its nice! Went scouting for new canoe routes etc. so a good excuse to try get somewhere. Going to need those sliders real soon if I try anything harder.

IMG_1047_zpsb396c8f7.jpg

IMG_1586_zpsf32c55bb.jpg

IMG_1435_zps399ee464.jpg

IMG_1152_zpscb09e089.jpg

IMG_1405_zps2a1ea31b.jpg

IMG_1667_zps65c5a679.jpg

IMG_1704_zpsa2080be4.jpg

And my net showed up after the trip, will be ready for the next one!
Large Ceiling Net for the rear roof line from Raingler- http://www.raingler.com/#!nissanmerch/c1art

IMG_1723_1_zpsca4c2a2a.jpg

I am liking the Pro4x more and more!

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Thanks xterraoffroad. Will have more pics soon!

Ok, now for the bad news. Was all happy as the melt mod is done, the mud flaps are gone and I was in the local tire dealer ready to go...

Then my local dealer tells me that the Interco Super Swamper TSL SX 33x9.5x16's have been sold out for approx. 5-6 months and no word on when they will be made again. Frick! Was all ready to throw some crazy strong mud tires on the X and then word is the only set that would fit without a lift/mods is too special an order and not something they have in stock at Interco! How do you sell something you don't make? Grrrr

Next choice would be the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC's in 285/75/16 or the tried and true BFG MT KM2's in the same 285/75/16's. I just really wanted the TSL-SX's but can't see myself waiting till who knows when to get them! Is there any way to do a nation wide dealer search for on the shelf stock for the Swampers x5? Any one know some tricks to finding the impossible?

Edit: Went with the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC's in 285/75/16. Have them mounted and will have pics from the trail soon!

Last edited:

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Have you checked online retailers like Tire Rack? I have run the BFG All Terrain TA KO for years and been happy with it, but I'm also in a more desert climate than you are. The new TA KO2 might be an option, but they are not really in stores yet - at least in my area.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
So I got some mud tires mounted and pictures are up….

IMG_0829_zps4d5e958e.jpg

IMG_0840_zps6b910607.jpg

IMG_0841_zpsc5b30608.jpg

Decided to try them out and got stuck right away by dragging my frame rails and skid plates on the frozen mud….

IMG_1771_zpsa97ca945.jpg

Self-recovery with the come-a-longs and straps and chains etc…

IMG_1780_zps06fdf1b7.jpg

One wolf sighting prior to the fun but no chance for a good picture

IMG_1758-1_zps3c952fee.jpg

Did clean up at the first set of falls after my windows and lights were frozen over with ice and mud, brrrrrr

IMG_1791_zpsfa11f626.jpg

Then it was time to explore some new trails

IMG_1842_zpsa88990c5.jpg

IMG_1878_zpsb4bcd850.jpg

IMG_1943_zpsee41b9b1.jpg

One cool picture from the lower falls at Bauabien Falls

IMG_1957_zps637d0d0a.jpg

And the full size spare hidden underneath for now…

IMG_1967_zps39daec97.jpg

One of many remote beach front camp spots found on the weekends travel…

IMG_2023_zpsa249bcde.jpg

Sleeping in the back using the 8 Gal Action Packer tub to level off the foot well to the rear folded seats, the large action packer holds the recovery gear and extras. The extra two 20lt fuel cans were between the front passenger and rear passenger seats and strapped down for the fun.

IMG_2044_zps3f6a09b4.jpg

IMG_2045_zpsd188632e.jpg

Home sweet home at -6c for the night

IMG_2047_zps811ba215.jpg

New area accessed using the logging roads to gain the fun trails etc

IMG_2058_zpsfe441cee.jpg

And more fun camping spots after some long wheeling over mostly frozen swamp trails…

IMG_2100_zps7d6bfc6d.jpg

IMG_2105_zpsa4cee684.jpg

IMG_2124_zpsce958fa6.jpg

And one final road side beach camp spot.

IMG_2207_zps29859136.jpg

Had a fun time and it did snow quite well during the weekend turning everything into a winter playground. The mud should freeze up solid shortly so that will make it easier to get down some of the dirty areas. Was fun to try the mud tires and they performed well when they could actually reach the mud. It walked through areas that would have stopped me with the stock tires. Did not try to air down or go too hardcore on the rocks but everything worked better than before. Just need to prep for the crazy cold stuff coming in the next few months! Will need some new recovery gear soon as the old stuff was showing its age.

Real bumpers are on the list as I dragged both the front and rear factory bumpers through some rough stuff this weekend and some marks were left to show for the effort. My spare got dragged on the rocks too so it would be nice to move that up on the rear bumper. Truck is trail worth as is now but plenty of room for improvement still.

Good times!

theBostonianX

Adventurer
Awesome pictures, you didn't waste any time hitting the trails!

If youre that far out by yourself, a bumper and winch should be next on the list.

Also if you're sleping inside, double check if your X came with a fold flat passenger seat...

richard310

pew pew
I second at least the winch if you're out solo in terrain like that, plus a land anchor.

Awesome little trip and report! Looks wonderfully cold and chilly out there and you got the truck all nice a dirty :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles