New 2012 4Runner

Frdmskr

Adventurer
So I just bought a new (to me) 2012 4Runner SR5. Its a big change in many ways from my 2001 4Runner SR5. The plan is to mount two NMOs which can be used for V/UHF (always) and hot swapping through GMRS, V/UHF DMR, and CB antennas as needed. I've run into a quandary in this plan though.....

I am posting here to see if anyone has experience with drilling holes and mounting an antenna bracket in the front quarter panel (either side). It doesn't appear there is much to work with there for attaching the bracket. In fact, it looks bleak for mounting a decent NMO anywhere but the roof without using a clamp on mount (not what I had in mind.) watching Expedition Overland their 4Runner has an antenna mounted to the back of the hood near the firewall. Not a great place from my experience but it will somewhat work.

Does anyone have any pictures or input on whether there is enough metal to work with for an antenna bracket like this one: Larsen Trunk Gutter Mount

Before anyone says it, yes the roof is ideal. I, however, live in the land of parking garages and low hanging branches. This vehicle is a bit too tall to do the roof right now. In the future, when the roof rack is installed I am all for it when I am out of the urban world. Further I have drilled holes in vehicles before. I have no compunction about doing it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I have seen a few people use the CBI Ditch Light Brackets by drilling out the holes to 3/4 inch. https://cbioffroadfab.com/product/toyota-5th-gen-4runner-ditch-light-brackets/

I don't know how big the holes are now, but if they are 3/8 inch I do know that there are NMOs made for 3/8 inch holes. https://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-Connector-Product-Category/dp/B00R3HR2Y0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544642837&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=3/8+nmo+mount&psc=1

Thanks. I had not thought of using the light mounts that way; pretty creative solution. The NMO itself is not so much an issue as just connecting it to the truck. I had more real estate on the 3rd gen.

Thanks!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
CBI ditch light brackets is what I'm using at the moment. The holes are not 3/4". I don't remember what they were, I think 3/8" or 7/16", perhaps 10mm. You'd also have to use thick material mount NMOs, regular NMO bases won't have enough depth to work correctly. I have since found narrow diameter NMOs that would be a better choice and wouldn't require drilling the brackets.

They work fine but you are somewhat limited to the diameter of the antenna base. Larsen fit fine with the o-ring but not the gaskets. Laird fit well.

IMG_1160_mid.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The one thing I definitely don't care for is they're in the way if you ever need to replace the windshield.

pagero

I use Gamviti's antenna brackets on my 4th gen 4Runner, they work well. They line up with existing bolts, so no drilling necessary and they fit nicely. Only drawback is they're not strong enough to support heavier antennas, my 3' Firestik wobbles a lot and looks like it will rip the bracket off the vehicle when I'm off roading. The bracket does however work great with whip style antennas such as the Larsen's NMO 2/70 1/2 wave and similar.

I have two brackets and NMO mounts on my truck, with coax routed from the engine compartment through the firewall and coming up under the carpet underneath the front seats. One of them is connected to a mobile ham radio full time, I use the other for either a hand held or a CB depending on what I need at that moment. I put a cap on the NMO if I'm not using it.

Attachments

• antenna.JPG
    antenna.JPG
    576.4 KB · Views: 16
  • antennamount.JPG
    antennamount.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 17

Mtn Mike

Observer
I use a Comet brand NMO fender mount on my Taco. It claims to be for GM trucks but I was able to bend it slightly to fit my fender.
And it fit using existing holes. It's not super strong but works fine for my Larsen 2/70.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-013677&oi=0

I agree about the roof mount...if I didn't park in a garage I'd have a roof mount NMO.

Attachments

• 0514180653d_HDR~2.jpg
    0514180653d_HDR~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 1019180853.jpg
    1019180853.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Mike, do you have a shot under the hood? On the 4Runner that area looks like plastic if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frdmskr

Adventurer
The other place I thought of was just in the hood itself. The thickness of the hood is not an issue but the degree to which the antenna would annoy me is debateable. (I hate dirty windshields never mind an antenna in my line of site.)

Mtn Mike

Observer
The other place I thought of was just in the hood itself. The thickness of the hood is not an issue but the degree to which the antenna would annoy me is debateable. (I hate dirty windshields never mind an antenna in my line of site.)

I'll try to post a better pic of my fender mount tonight. My 2000 4R had a similar mount, but I'm sure the 2012 4R is totally different.

I'm not sure I would like an NMO mount on the hood either. The metal hood would make an excellent ground plane surface, but you'd probably have to bend the whip at it's base to make it strait relative to the earth so it looked right. In my opinion the fender/hood crease mount is the best compromise. What's also nice is that Toyota's have a nice big grommet adjacent to the brake booster that works well for running coax from the fender location through the firewall. Another option for you is putting a fold-able NMO antenna on the roof. Diamond makes one. However, the quality of the fold-able antenna's does not compare to the quality of the Larson/Laird/Maxrad NMO whips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles