New 2009 G550, 2009 G55 or 07 G55 for trips?

Jwestpro

Explorer
I welcome any related/similar topic questions - it only helps me learn more as well. I had VERY good luck all my miles in the Disco I and like the idea of returning to slid axles and locking center diff plus the added bonus of fr/rr diffs too! I have also been so bummed with the limitations of the lr3 even just in tire size - that alone excites me about the G's, old or new, to be able to use my 32.5" bfg's WITH snow chains and not rip the wells and other parts to pieces.

As for wading depth, it was more wanting to know, just in case, rather than planning to go be a goofball looking for pits ;) I did figure the G has electronics under the seat like any modern vehicle and have not located the battery but knowing it's not up high under the hood it must be lower behind the seats.

The single seal on the doors made me wonder about all this, the lr3 to it's credit has 3x seals on each door, 2 primary and one more for wind noise, but inside the rear signal housings is a "one way" rubber flap for interior air venting out the back but it's also an ingress point if you were to stall in water over 40" or so. However, at that point it may be the least of ones worries.

One of my "backup" items on summer excursions is my mtn bike, being an avid rider/ex racer, I could cover 100 miles in one day if an emergency required it but in winter we have xc and AT skiis similarly. On top of that I always have food and shelter/warmth if in an extreme emergency. I carry a tire repair kit, air of some sort at least, and high lift, etc.

Mainly, we want something that will easily "last" 10+ yrs / 200k miles.

Aside from cost, can anyone come up with a really strong argument against a G55 for such travels? Assuming obvious things are changed like tire/wheels, springs and removal of all chrome things. It's the 5 spd transmission and extra power that pull me there. I would cut off the silly exhaust tips but not mind the sound. I hope that question doesn't make people think I'm just a dork - a little more power and simpler transmission can't hurt.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Mainly, we want something that will easily "last" 10+ yrs / 200k miles.

Aside from cost, can anyone come up with a really strong argument against a G55 for such travels? Assuming obvious things are changed like tire/wheels, springs and removal of all chrome things. It's the 5 spd transmission and extra power that pull me there. I would cut off the silly exhaust tips but not mind the sound. I hope that question doesn't make people think I'm just a dork - a little more power and simpler transmission can't hurt.

I think I see where you are going with this idea. It would be neat to have a "lifted" AMG. Are the rock sliders that are available from G-wagen Accessories not able to mount to the AMG merely because of the exhaust location? How easy would it be to re-route the exhaust to make the sliders fit? Excuse my ignorance, I have not been lucky enough to crawl under one of these beasts.

Here's some motivation AMG video

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
James, seems we might be on a similar page here. Just found your posts on the other forum.

Here is the answer to my question above.

"The 55 exhaust is different than a regular old 500 that I know of ,I do not know about the 550 does it have the same set up as the 55?

What I did with mine was cut the exhaust by an experienced header builder right where it is starting to curve to go to the cats both sides.
Then we cut the rest into individual pieces and refit everything with stainless piping to the new connections with a final result of having the exhaust both sides a little more tucked in than the 500 so if I end up with rock sliders to be able to build them high and not worry about the exhaust.
Final result was, same if not a little better sound(tips facing down) and enough clearance where the running boards is the only ones to watch out for when off road and amazingly enough I have not needed to take them off yet!
If you look under there and follow the shape of the aluminum between the exhaust and the floor you will see that the shape of the aluminum was almost made for the way we placed the parts .....a little more forward and up!
They are a tight fit ...it only cost a couple of hundred even with chrome tips (that are invisible) and I have been very happy with the results."

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
James, seems we might be on a similar page here. Just found your posts on the other forum.

Here is the answer to my question above.

"The 55 exhaust is different than a regular old 500 that I know of ,I do not know about the 550 does it have the same set up as the 55?

What I did with mine was cut the exhaust by an experienced header builder right where it is starting to curve to go to the cats both sides.
Then we cut the rest into individual pieces and refit everything with stainless piping to the new connections with a final result of having the exhaust both sides a little more tucked in than the 500 so if I end up with rock sliders to be able to build them high and not worry about the exhaust.
Final result was, same if not a little better sound(tips facing down) and enough clearance where the running boards is the only ones to watch out for when off road and amazingly enough I have not needed to take them off yet!
If you look under there and follow the shape of the aluminum between the exhaust and the floor you will see that the shape of the aluminum was almost made for the way we placed the parts .....a little more forward and up!
They are a tight fit ...it only cost a couple of hundred even with chrome tips (that are invisible) and I have been very happy with the results."

ChuckB,

the exhaust parts for a G500, catalysts and so on are real expensive - don't even want to check on the G55 exhaust system. I would be a bit weary to do a mod here.

The rock slider (Rockmeister) I designed is a heavy duty & solid touch down protection. They are installed level with the G-wagen's main frame and protecting the expensive exhaust piping/catalyst very well. Also when installed they "hide" the unseeingly exhaust piping which were hidden by the Mercedes-Benz original bling-type running board in the first place.
Their modular design allows you also to install our new side step/offroad running boards if so desired.
This system is now also available for the experienced older W460 G-wagen
when updated with our W460 Rocker Panel upgrade Kit.

2125234.jpg

2125235.jpg

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Karl,

The "Rockmeister" is a very nice piece! Maybe I missed it, but if the AMG exhaust is modified (hypothetically speaking of course) will the Rockmeister fit on the G55?

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Karl,

The "Rockmeister" is a very nice piece! Maybe I missed it, but if the AMG exhaust is modified (hypothetically speaking of course) will the Rockmeister fit on the G55?

Thanks for your kind words.....

I believe it would fit the G55 in that case - but I have not installed one yet - the use of our BR-bracket would allow you even to reinstall the original Bling-Boards:Wow1:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Thanks for your kind words.....

I believe it would fit the G55 in that case - but I have not installed one yet - the use of our BR-bracket would allow you even to reinstall the original Bling-Boards:Wow1:

Karl,

Sounds good. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm sure I have more but, I'll spare you for now :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier