NEVER QUIT Overland's Extreme Isuzu NPR Build & 4x4 Conversion

CaptainBuilt

Very nice. I plan on stopping by Friday if I can and see it in person. I want a 4WD npr. Lol. Not extreme as that, but close.

DzlToy

Explorer
Send Matt a PM here or call the number in the for sale ad linked on the first page. We will be in the shop, getting the truck ready for the show and will not be open for visits or tours prior to leaving for Flagstaff. Erik's NPR will be back at Matt's the first week in June.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Erik's NPR was driven to the show, where it garnered quite a bit of interest in the VisionX light bar booth. There were zero problems with the truck, despite the lack of scrutineering before leaving on a 5,000 mile road trip.

Chris Cordes came by and shot some photos, so you may see the truck in an Expo feature and will surely see it in online coverage, if you weren't able to make OvEx West in Flagstaff.

After returning to Matt's shop next week, the truck will be gone through completely, and preparations will be made for cutting the back of the cab, and fabricating the mounting system for the camper.

The truck can be seen here, beginning about the one hour mark:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Without a doubt, this truck looks very nice, but I was just wondering... is there a technical reason they did not rotate the rear axle to reduce the angle on the rear diff universal joint?
I have had issues on my own truck with tailshaft/yoke angles, hence my question.

DzlToy

Explorer
No issues that I am aware of and I was on the 2,000 mile (4,200 km) trip, driving it to Arizona. Matt did look at several options for rotating the pinion up and we discussed using shims if the need arose. All good for now and the truck will be back in his shop in a few weeks, so we will check over everything at that time.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, the output yoke and the pinion are supposed to be in the same plane, with the drive shaft (prop shaft) connecting the two. We are running bog standard U-joints, not CVs, hence the flat pinion:

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
No issues that I am aware of and I was on the 2,000 mile (4,200 km) trip, driving it to Arizona. Matt did look at several options for rotating the pinion up and we discussed using shims if the need arose. All good for now and the truck will be back in his shop in a few weeks, so we will check over everything at that time.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, the output yoke and the pinion are supposed to be in the same plane, with the drive shaft (prop shaft) connecting the two. We are running bog standard U-joints, not CVs, hence the flat pinion:

Similar to mine then. A 1410 joint has an operating angle of up to 37*. Mine is around 30* with no load on the rear yet and it does fine as is. Once the camper box is on it, it will sit lower and have a better angle. Currently my driveline is down 5* and the pinion is up 5. Once the truck is weighed down I will probably adjust the pinion down a couple degrees so it comes up to 5* under load.

20190518_135003.jpg
Overland Expo West.
All Vision-X lights.

On the bumper is a WARN 16.5s winch.
It will also be on the rear of the truck bumper: https://www.warn.com/165tis-heavyweight-winch-97740

This Warn Industries 16.5ti-S 12 volt electric Winch is vehicle mounted and has a pull capacity of 16,500 pound. It has a 80 feet wire rope. Note: This Winch will require winch mount for proper installation.

With a massive 16,500 lbs. of pulling capacity, the 16.5ti-s is not only the most powerful truck winch we make, it's also now available with 80' of 3/8" lightweight, easy-to-handle Spydura® Pro synthetic rope. The rope's heat-treated construction provides maximum tensile strength, and the temperature-resistant sleeve on the first layer provides maximum heat protection. This winch also features a thermometric indicator which provides operator feedback during the winching process and is great for the biggest, heaviest vehicles on or off the pavement.

• 16,500 lb. capacity
  • Includes 80' of 3/8" Spydura Pro synthetic rope
  • Includes 18,000 lb capacity EPIC hook
  • Thermometric indicator LED provides operator feedback
  • Large-frame winch architecture mounts feet forward
  • Contactor control for the ultimate in reliable electronics
  • Powerful, efficient series-wound motor
  • Durable, smooth three-stage planetary gear train
  • Best-in-class cone brake
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty for Mechanical Components. Limited Seven (7) year warranty for Electrical Components.
Warn winch 16.5s.png

DzlToy

Explorer
30 minute detailed walk-around shot by MixFlip at the Overland Expo. The camper box is getting close to completion and the chassis cab is getting some work done next week in preparation for mounting the box permanently.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles