Never Know Unless You Go!

mph

Expedition Leader
So...We are driving up this canyon that I had been to before. I was a little concerned about flash flooding but not overly! We rounded the bend to get a look at an arch, when I noticed water was coming at us! I told Barb not to panic but follow me...

Barb doing her best not to be nervous at the wheel!

june1.jpg

We rounded the bend and waited at a high point. The water never got more than 3 inches deep but for a usually dry bed of rocks...it was quite exciting:) As we waited for the water go down; we took a hike. The views were terrific and the desert was so green!

june2.jpg

june3.jpg

june4.jpg

The water slowly receded and we made out way back out of the canyon. Crazy eye candy all around us!

june6.jpg

june5.jpg

We got to the paved section of the Burr Trail just in time for a heavy rain. It was something to see...

june7.jpg

Highway 12 led us over to a gorgeous campsite! The lighting was beautiful. We enjoyed happy hour watching the clouds and light show.

june8.jpg

We knew things would be getting good when we saw this band of clouds roll toward us...

june9.jpg

Things did get good..."The Hole in the Rock Road is Closed!" More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
The lady at the front desk of the visitor center said that the Hole in the Rock Road is closed...What? Our plans were immediately on limbo. Why?, I asked...She informed us that all the heavy rains had caused flash flooding and some of the dips in the road are now ragging rivers. Hmmmm...

Well, we decided to drive down the road and just check it out. Mother Nature at work...It would be fun. NEVER KNOW UNLESS YOU GO!
Everyone was headed the other way. Out to blacktop; while we were going in...I stopped a few people and asked what the road ahead was like. Their reply was "not bad"...They did mention a monster truck stuck in the middle of road a ways up. Our plan was quickly hatched. Let's make it to Devil's Garden picnic area and go from there. Off we went...

june1.jpg

We watched as the clouds broke. Barb and I scanned the maps. Our next's days adventure could work still...Only if we could get 30 more miles down the road!

june2.jpg

The sun popped out for a while, so we decided to continue. The road had dried a little. Making traction better. But, there was still water out there...

june3.jpg

My good friend, Sam, was on his way in...he would meet us for the next 6 days or so...I told him to follow the rainbow to our camp!

june4.jpg

The next day dawned clear and blue! Our plan was to enter a canyon for a one-night backpack. Off we went...

june6.jpg

Sam seemed to be enjoying his new Tacoma!

june5.jpg

We explored the slickrock country that makes the Hole in the Rock Road a special place!

june7.jpg

We loaded our packs and started out on our jaunt. Backpacking in slickrock country is a special way to overland. All that you need is your pack! It's simple and fun!
We tried to find signs of the past. A few were spotted...Cysts and petroglyphs of the ancient ones.

june8.jpg

june9.jpg

june10.jpg

Why did Evert Ruess explore these desert lands? We might have found the answer...More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
Evert Ruess disappeared in Davis Gulch. Or at least his mules and supplies were found there...He was never seen again. The canyons that lead to Lake Foul off the Hole in the Rock Road are gorgeous. Simply...pure wild, untouched beauty! We hiked in...

This arch caught Sam's attention right away!

june1.jpg

The deeper we went into the canyon, the prettier it became. IMO...Water, flowers, green...a desert oasis!

june2.jpg

We called it a day and spent the night in this alcove. Sam loved watching the bats fly in and out of the alcove at sunset. Not...

june3.jpg

The next day involved hiking some 7 miles up another canyon back to our vehicles. The hike had so much "eye candy" it was ridiculous!

june4.jpg

june5.jpg

june6.jpg

The water got a little deeper and a few obstacles caught our attention!

june7.jpg

Sam enjoying the day! Enjoying the surroundings...

june8.jpg

Alcoves everywhere...Yours truly enjoying the simple strides in the desert sands.

june9.jpg

We got back to our vehicles, and found a place to camp for the night. This will due...

june11.jpg

Sam does not like tight places...more to come...

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
Mike,

Thanks so much for another great trip report and pics.

I have a question for you. How do you manage the flash flood threat when down in the canyons? Obviously it's been raining, and may continue to rain in the area. I've heard that rain some distance away may make it down to your canyon while you have clear skies overhead. You seem to be an adventurer, not a risk taker. How do you mitigate this threat? Or am I over thinking this?

Thanks,

Dan

mph

Expedition Leader
Dan,
Thanks for the positive feedback...Glad you enjoyed it! To answer your question...Here a few things that have worked for me. I know my route. Either I have hiked the canyon before, or I have researched the distance, hurdles along the way and what kind of time it should take me. I have also looked at my maps carefully. Yes, you a right in the fact that a rain storm can happen far away and flash flood in the canyon further down...But, how long is the drainage? If you are entering at the head of the drainage; then you know there is not much up canyon from you. If that makes sense...I haven't been in too many slots where I had a fear of it being flashed.

I have had the experience of driving through 2 flashes....I was comfortable knowing that I had some outs. I had been there before. The other thing that I do either driving or hiking is looking for those escape routes as I drive or hike down. Honestly, if the sky is black; I avoid it at all costs. Not sure if that makes any sense...

Mike,

Thanks so much for another great trip report and pics.

I have a question for you. How do you manage the flash flood threat when down in the canyons? Obviously it's been raining, and may continue to rain in the area. I've heard that rain some distance away may make it down to your canyon while you have clear skies overhead. You seem to be an adventurer, not a risk taker. How do you mitigate this threat? Or am I over thinking this?

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
We enjoyed the evening...A few beers...watching the lightning in the distance...and reviewing the past few days. Barb told us she was up for a rest day. Sam and I were going to explore some slots. The evening was magical...

june6.jpg

The following day...we jumped into some slots. Sam informed me that he doesn't like tight places. I said, "it's not that tight, maybe 10 inches or so:)" We had to do a little wading to get into the goods. It would be a muddy day!

june7.jpg

june3.jpg

Sam enjoying the light again...

june4.jpg

We decided to walk through some other slots...not so tight.

june5.jpg

After a late lunch, we rallied to the Egypt slot canyons. The road was partially washed out. We crossed numerous washouts with caution.

june1.jpg

I knew the canyons would be a little muddy. But had no idea...We went for it! This was Sam's very canyoneering experience. I think he will remember it!

Sam dropping in...

june8.jpg

june11.jpg

After numerous rappels, slickrock slides, mudholes, etc...we emerged from the canyon.

june9.jpg

Our travels would finally take us off the Hole in the Rock road. We were headed to do some mountain biking. First, the road crew had to help out.

june2.jpg

The final installment...more to come...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
As always a really great write up
your pics and stories are what pull me back to Utah.
Thanks for taking the time to put all this together so we can join your adventure :)

mph

Expedition Leader
Oh...Thanks for the nice words. Yeah, Utah is pretty crazy awesome. Next time you are up here; shoot me a PM!

As always a really great write up
your pics and stories are what pull me back to Utah.
Thanks for taking the time to put all this together so we can join your adventure :)

mph

Expedition Leader
The final installment...We headed back to civilization in the form of a town named Escalante. As we were leaving, the road crews were entering with massive earth moving equipment. The rains from the past week had done a number on the side roads and off-chutes that branch off the Hole in the Rock Road. We on the other hand, were heading towards pavement and some biking. But, we needed to gas up and get a little dirt off a few things...

Waiting in line at the carwash...The underbody was hammered!

june1.jpg

Driving west on Highway 12 is not a bad drive at all...It's a scenic highway and there is eye candy everywhere. We enjoyed the ride and found a place to camp and got the bikes ready. Thunder Mountain is the ride of fame down in Red Canyon State Park. We were amped to give it a whirl! I had ridden it a number of years ago but my memory is shot...

Riding this spine was a good reminder of the place! Red rock, views, and epic riding made it a marvelous afternoon!

june7.jpg

Pedaling towards the sun...

june6.jpg

Keep my eyes on the trail! One needs to for sure:)

june4.jpg

It was fun to see Sam's excitement of such an unusual landscape to ride.

june3.jpg

june5.jpg

Sometimes you just need a break. Where's my magazine?

june2.jpg

All good things do come to any end. Sam and I biked another day before we all called it a trip. A 12-day adventure in southern Utah...We were all tired but a good tired. It was a blast. Yes, the desert in June can be a blast. Don't let a chance of rain or heavy rain for that matter persuade you from not enjoying a ramble in the deserts of Utah. One NEVER KNOWS UNLESS YOU GO!

I rallied north stopping at a favorite pie place I know about...

june9.jpg

The wide-open country of the Utah deserts will call again. We will be there...Maybe not for a few months with the desert heat in full force. But soon...

june8.jpg

Until next time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94