Nevada Overland - Rhyolite to Tonopah/Lunar Crater and Area51

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Thank you for the kind words everyone. Much appreciated and thank you for all your loyal visits to our website.

Just finished the report. AWESOME. Definitely on my "list"!
I was also going to ask about fuel but you answered it at the very end. Did you take reserve fuel too?

We carried 5 gallons on the trailer and we have a 24 gallon aux fuel tank we filled. Our range with the 2) 24 gallon tanks under the 80 is such that only in a extreme situation like a huge back track or large diversion on this trip would mean we'd need to rely on the 5 gallons on the trailer. We have the capability to carry another 7) 5 gallon cans up top, but hardly do. I find our range can get us to most fuel stations before needing anything up on the rack so why carry the extra weight.

Very nice report! I'm interested in the route you took from Rhyolite, do you have a map showing the route you can post?

I'm also interested in the abandoned trailer park you found North of Dumont Dunes. I drove that route on my way home and don't remember seeing it - it it close to the town of Shoshone?

Anyway, again, great report, thanks for the photos.

Thank you for the kind words. There's a .gpx file on the link at the bottom of the report. I have to give credit to NVPROSPECTOR on this board. Tim France as he is the one that scouted the route before i drove it. He knows much more of the area, then i will ever know.

The abandoned trailer park is located about 7 miles west of the Death Valley Junction.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
With all that fuel I'm guessing you had to do a change to your suspension to carry the extra weight.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah, most 80 series guys run OME "Heavies" 863's... but with the aux tank and pulling a trailer we run OME"Super Heavies" 864's in the rear. That and a 1" Slee coil spacer.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Nice shots and love the story telling. My wife and I did the south rim,hooked up with some hammies in SanDiego via IRLP, that is what I needed just before my knee surgery which I am in recovery mode at this time.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Have you considered running OME 868s? I hesitated but I found the 864s to still be a little light for the GVWR-laden 80.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Have you considered running OME 868s? I hesitated but I found the 864s to still be a little light for the GVWR-laden 80.

So far the 864's have been spot on. The truck is stink bug unloaded, but with it loaded and the trailer attached it sits perfectly level. The ride is great and we're currently testing some Fox prototype shocks that will make it even better.

Great trip Dave. Your write up is always first rate. Thanks Guy

Thank you Guy! Much appreciated!

s4ad0w10

does anyone have any GPS files for this trip. the link posted in the write up no longer work. this is an expedition we are looking at doing in the near future. thank you!

bwebb702

does anyone have any GPS files for this trip. the link posted in the write up no longer work. this is an expedition we are looking at doing in the near future. thank you!

Sup man!

From the looks of it, they took dirt roads instead of the us95. Might be easy enough to piece together on Google maps if you want to get together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles