Nevada Overland - Rhyolite to Tonopah/Lunar Crater and Area51

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
img0746go.jpg

First off, I want to thank NVPROSPECTOR (Tim France) for all his help with this route (Overland Routes page) and taking the time to put the work in to making it easier for others to share the experience. I also want to thank UPCRUISER (Kristian Saile) for recommending the Lunar Crater. We are fortunate that there's people like you out there that don't mind sharing info when you can. Hopefully this trip report will make you proud.

Big thanks to Gabe Pari from SCT and Travis from Safari Pacific for joining us. You guys made the trip memorable.

This was one of our top 5 overland trips we've ever completed. I would do it again - tomorrow if i could.

Enjoy everyone...
http://www.adventureduo.com/2011/06/nevada-overland-rhyolite-to-tonopah.html

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I just read your full report and once again you have set the mark....great to see families out having fun and the weather changes were wicked.
Looks like another area to add to my list places to visit.
Thanks for posting this

jcbrandon

Explorer
Great trip report, Dave. Thank you. A lot of us who live in Nevada are torn between promoting it for awesome adventures such as yours and keeping quiet so that it stays uncrowded. Either way, your photos and story are great. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Looked like a fun route. Glad the intel on Lunar Crater worked out. When I got there it was dark and woke up at first light on the edge of it and it was alot bigger than I was expecting. Pretty awesome spot. I agree about Nevada being so cool in general. I love all the undeveloped valleys divided by mountains. Your perception of space is permanently changed after you spend alot of time in that area I swear! Thanks for sharing.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Nevada is full of radioactive matter. Its a dry desolate desert devoid of anything but all things boring (except this year...its full of snow and mud). Take it off your explore radar. Go to Arizona...that's the place you want to explore!

Seriously: Nice photos and write up Dave!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Thank you for all the kind words. Without you all reading we wouldn't be out exploring nearly as much. Oh and yes, i hear you about keeping places on the down low and protecting them. I understand it can be a touchy subject.

targa88

Explorer
Dave,
Thanks for posting this up... so I now know what I missed.
Vaguely familiar with the area - been nearby.
Now I really want to do it.
I envy your "business" approach... wish I had more time to do those type of excursions

xtatik

Explorer
Nevada is full of radioactive matter. Its a dry desolate desert devoid of anything but all things boring (except this year...its full of snow and mud). Take it off your explore radar. Go to Arizona...that's the place you want to explore!

Seriously: Nice photos and write up Dave!

I agree. Nothing but a wasteland.
I'm surprised they made it through the area without the requisite tin foil headwear.
Dave, thanks for that write up. I'm shocked that you guys saw a speed goat in that area. Most of my sightings were from north of there in the three ranges/valleys above Tonopah. That dude was lost.

ExpoMike

Great story and pics!!! Sounds like a great time and definitely on our todo list.

Waking to snow reminds me of our Mojave Road trip. Went to sleep with a cold front coming in and woke up with snow. Cold but cool at the same time. :D

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Just got to the part about the strange castle...very interesting.

edit:
Just finished the report. AWESOME. Definitely on my "list"!
As you noted about not having enough time there I would like to spend more than a few days. Seems like way too much in such short order. Being able to sit on that crater and relax and ponder would be cool.
I was also going to ask about fuel but you answered it at the very end. Did you take reserve fuel too?

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very nice report! I'm interested in the route you took from Rhyolite, do you have a map showing the route you can post?

I see you went through Gold Point, a very cool little ghost town!

I was in that region two months prior, in late March, on my way to Death Valley. I was actually intending to camp overnight at Lunar Crater and to visit Gold Point as well.

What kept me from that? The COLD! :Wow1:

I'd forgotten how relatively high most of Nevada is - Winter lasts well into April there or even May. After making my way from Cedar City, UT, I got to Tonopah in the middle of a blizzard, 40 mph winds and sub-freezing temps. Rather than try to find a campsite nearby (where all I would have been able to do would be hunker down in my vehicle) I headed directly to DVNP, certain that once I dropped below sea level, it would warm up (a guess that turned out to be correct.)

I'm also interested in the abandoned trailer park you found North of Dumont Dunes. I drove that route on my way home and don't remember seeing it - it it close to the town of Shoshone?

Anyway, again, great report, thanks for the photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles