netbooks

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I don't recall this one being mentioned.. anyone use it / know anything about it...
Gateway - Netbook with Intel® Atom™ Processor -Model: LT2104u

Best Buy has them for 309 and I like how it has a 250 g storage..

ArtC2

Explorer
Netbooks that work well outside

What recommendations does anyone have for a netbook that has a screen works in the cab of a truck on a sunny day? Obviously I do not want a glossy screen but a Tough book with a 1000 nit screen is just too expensive.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Art

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
What recommendations does anyone have for a netbook that has a screen works in the cab of a truck on a sunny day? Obviously I do not want a glossy screen but a Tough book with a 1000 nit screen is just too expensive.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Art

Honestly, I don't think you'll find an acceptable solution in the current netbook/tablet market that is on par with the Toughbook.

One possible option, to cut down on costs at the expense of size, would be to get a netbook (honestly, they are all basically the same), and use an external 7" sunlight readable screen...you are looking in the $700 range ($300 for the netbook, $400 for the screen), still much cheaper than a Toughbook, but also more bulky since you need to run the touchscreen from the netbook....

haven

Expedition Leader
An American company called Pixel Qi (pronounced "chi") is starting to produce direct-sunlight-readable displays for netbooks and other computing devices like smart phones and slates. Pixel Qi sells an kit to upgrade existing netbooks to use their display through this link

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKPQ01

Price is $275 plus shipping and tax if applicable.

This 10.1 inch display is guaranteed to work with the Samsung N130 & Lenovo S10-2 netbooks. These netbooks are quite a few months old, so they're on the edge of obsolescence. People have made the Pixel Qi display work with other notebooks, too, but by doing so you void the warranty.

Do a web search to find out if your favorite netbook can be upgraded with the Pixel Qi screen. Here's one forum that talks about compatibility.
http://forums.makezine.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6562

Here's the web site for Pixel Qi http://www.pixelqi.com/

UNI

Adventurer
CIMG3463.JPG

CIMG3526.JPG

We use the Toshiba T210 with Novatel MiFi unit & Wilson Electronic Dual Band Booster "Cell & Internet". Unit is mounted on a RAM floor mount.

Toshiba T210

MiFi 2200

Wilson Electronics

RAM Laptop Mounts

RusherRacing

Adventurer
screen is starting to fall off my hp mini 1151nr (verizon)

What should I replace it with? I would like something a little tougher than this HP.

I like the looks of ASUS units but wow so many more options now than 1.5yrs ago.

I would like a tough chassis, long battery life, and a HDMI output would be handy but toughness and battery life are more important.

ArtC2

Explorer
Toshiba 210

YouAndI:

The Toshiba 210 looks like an interesting option. How is the screen readabilty in the cab of your truck when wearing sun glasses?

Art

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94