NET ZERO

billiebob

I have a teardrop. I need power. How to do that is the question? NET ZERO is the goal.

I am leaning to something like the SUOAKI G500. But it looks like it might not have enough power or connections to work. I'm going to work on my "needs" and add to this thread.

I know for cooking, coffee I'll use propane so no microwave, toaster or.... ?? No razor, no blow dryer, no iron lol.

These are my needs. I'll add specs to the list as I continue to research.

Refrigeration is number 1, a Dometic CRX 80
Lighting, a total of 10 LED hardwired lights. 2 bedside, 2 storage, 2 outside, 4 kitchen
Charging, my cell, an ipad, a MacBookAir, 2 camera batteries, 1 by USB, 1 off 120v, a rechargeable LED headlamp??

Not all lights would be on together. Charging can be rotating. But I love the convenience of everything always plugged in, hooked up, ready for use. Just like at home. So I can focus on the outdoor overlanding experience, not the geeky tasks of playing with gadgets.... which I hate.

I have easy space to add 2) 160watt solar panels to the roof of the OSB BOX. And weight is not an issue. Steady, reliable power supply is the over riding goal. I'd like to keep the vehicle electrics completely separate from the trailer/camping needs.

I think job 1 is to add up all those power draws. Hopefully 320watts of solar permanently on the roof will keep things running forever, Net Zero the goal. The easy part is finding batteries, maybe golf cart batteries?? or Lithium Ion?? The hard part for me is finding the correct power distribution/control components. I love SUOAKI G500 packaging. But would prefer components which can be changed out, upgraded as time moves on.

I'm thinking a few others want similar systems.

borison

Adventurer
I’m recently in the same boat and was actually going to start a thread. I just bought a costway 54 and want to keep it in my cargo trailer with a self contained power. I don’t have the same power demands, but I think I’ll go with a 100Ah or so battery. Wire the battery to the fridge and run a Renogy starter kit to the battery. It’s not as cool as the yeti or g500.

billiebob, I responded on the earlier thread about your specific question:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...-other-comparable-systems.207352/post-2659362

In short, I suspect you would be in pretty good shape if you install the solar panels. Moreover, I think the math works out about the same whether you go with the G500 or you build your own around an FLA or AGM battery. Those will typically give you about 40 to 50 Amp-hours of usable energy at nominally 12V, which is about 480 to 600 Watt-hours, in the same ballpark as the G500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94