NestBox - LR3/4 Storage/Sleeping platform

Ian_Barry

Observer
Well this is an interesting development:
Super Tramp

img.ashx

Shigeta

W6EXP
Interesting. I bought an Exped mattress that fits (baaaarely) in the back of the LR3/4. It's about 4" thick and after a few trips with the lady friend, I couldn't imagine it being just 6" higher. I figure it comes down to personal preference; I personally prefer being able to sit up and drink water at night, roll on my side easily, or put on another layer on the chilly nights. The Nest Box setup looks pretty claustrophobic. ?

IMG_8815-XL.jpg

Ian_Barry

Observer
Interesting. I bought an Exped mattress that fits (baaaarely) in the back of the LR3/4. It's about 4" thick and after a few trips with the lady friend, I couldn't imagine it being just 6" higher. I figure it comes down to personal preference; I personally prefer being able to sit up and drink water at night, roll on my side easily, or put on another layer on the chilly nights. The Nest Box setup looks pretty claustrophobic. ?

IMG_8815-XL.jpg
Do you remember or can you look up which exped mattress you went with? I've built my own sleeping platform but have been fretting over the right size mattress.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have created a sleeping platform in my LR3 that is from back of driver/passanger seats to rear door. It is the height of my Front runner shelf system and I use self inflating pads from REI that are about 3 inches thick. The pads do not stay in the back fun time as a mattress would. I find that I have a bit more vertical room than I had in my rack on the aircraft carrier I was stationed on for several years. Not enough to sit up but it works in a short term camping situation.

Ian_Barry

Observer
gVtvS9uEcH9CEUCwJbTgCELg6E8hHxlqLnjJuX_QA1ndYFt2oQJaYCdIk4cnlmC9LeRHF9vRx3r99e4-Sc_LeoLpCS5KxdzeLzE1G_v2FfjxH2aJGI9EaAdv4p2hHg4i3xSc4Xpk1G1SiWjd2ONP_moH_ZsKlKrMMXIHjlGwQeqG38z_rebBMk1PpFwYFNcej7dZm0MpOt4rOon-G-5jB-1P1HvD4BZ3AYzzwB0TGXgFKhxcO5ow4v790LjRcgPJsz2k7iCFohpiAwkbAg6jOytHp5FkP_BEVPdVsQjCyMq5KV2FNAAnPyKVahZJZfJsKub3s_-3PKrZReHCc8Ouz7vlM6yG0ZavzbRR0F3njsHWwkLWHPBFKb_qRLCmidQyYCE7jMH6ms9OxjdQRYa6ShmKYP0kaq1MRM_1kJbwuTu3YJGXppXgEQF5zVKo2ugGd2y30XSO7NjMVLlZwjfdMBUbi81_x-1AEYdY_Nq15_RKQrebj_MrKDgZENLON6-TL31Pvx8M7g4h3wl5Yu44JdMn5nvXyWTlvtKTAqmY_Ln6D17zm-HTRvDahglvjC9xMwVEOAYppwfwe38hT0YZ8T3_D2dCyI6avuHwSf-IFgdI_LDWCT-fAt79QbodMS8rFkItqDQJAv9jeYqGXFIyBj3lT7O8nF02FPhx8JKrkfn3tP1EuL8rGI8=s250-k-rw-no

I hear you about the height to ceiling. Not to push this thread towards a larger discussion of sleeping platforms but the roofline in the LR3/4 is not high enough to really ever get me (6'2") to a comfortable in bed situation. That said, my travel/camp style aligns closely with mountaineering. So being in the back of the truck is fine an "upgrade" from bivy/cowboy/tarp camping.

I've had the pleasure of camping out with some of the forum members here and I will say that my preference for austerity may not be widely shared.

The Supertramp folding function on the bed/box combo is of particular interest to me. Most of the time the back of my 3 is dedicated to equipment. Being able to rollout/fold out the bed over that storage would be very appealing to me. My buddy and I built a folding platform in the back of his Xterra a few years back, but it was largely a proof of concept build and quickly succumbed to our abuse. I liked the idea then, and still am keen on it.

Shigeta

W6EXP
Do you remember or can you look up which exped mattress you went with? I've built my own sleeping platform but have been fretting over the right size mattress.

I bought an Exped MegaMat Duo 10 LW+ Sleeping Pad. (Previous gen that I got at REI on sale before the new models came out.) It looks like this current model has the same dimensions: Exped MegaMat Duo 10 (@ REI)

It's dimensions are 77.6 x 52 x 3.9 inches. It doesn't "fit" on the floor of the LR3/4 as it "tacos" a bit near the hatch as it gets narrower there, but it squishes down brilliantly and is comfortable enough for me to side-sleep on.

Note: I'm 6'3", 190lbs, athletic build. If I move the front seats forward a few inches, I have plenty of room to vertically stretch out with no problem. With this mattress, I sleep with my head at the hatch and feet towards the front of the car. Plenty of room for me and the lady (5'6", 120lbs) to sleep. It's tight, but not uncomfortable. Let's call it... cozy!

I roll my seats forward a tad as well and I have all kinds of room. I have not decided completely on my pad set up yet but I am leaning toward Exped Duo as well. I currently have the Costco mat and it fits under my rack when not in use; not ideal but gets the job done for now.

Ian_Barry

Observer
Re Seat Movement: In my infinite selfishness, I have all three settings on my front seat adjusted for the three "driving" conditions.
  1. Driving
  2. Sleeping in the back (seat forward. If accidentally engaged it's easy to catch and less dangerous than #3)
  3. Fully reclined (I just need to nap here at this rest stop because I've bit off more than I can chew - aka ran an ultra and trying to drive 6 hours through the night isn't clever)

Lemagus

I like the Egoe Supertramp concept a lot and it's got me looking at other kitchen/storage options for my LR4 as well.

I have a rtt so the need for another sleeping platform is still worthwhile but not as crucial. The Egoe system let's you configure to your needs.

It seems as if the Ququq is a very similar system to the Supertramp.

Ququc

Apparently the owner of Egoe drives a D4 so that's a bit reassuring.

Would be nice to hear some real world experiences because these are all pretty serious investments.

Last edited:
I have 2 x Exped Mediums that I purchased from MooseJaw during a sale a few weeks ago. Now, I will admit, sizing is not 100% ideal because my sleeping platform is up higher and this location does reduce some width for the two Expeds to sit perfectly. This is how I roll when I have two people inside the Landy. I do not inflate them with the pump until I have them positioned side by side and then get the right fit and air pressure that way (takes about 2 minutes to set up and then it stays. If my platform was lower I think the Exped twin size would be perfect fit. But, I use my Expeds as singles for my TentCot, Solo Landy Use, and SideXSide as a mattress in my ARB Simpson RTT. I like the versatility of single or dual use and being able to split them up as needed and not be committed to a large mattress. The Solo Trip Single Exped is obviously an easy fit.

***I did not put the sheet/blankets I have over for reference purposes in these photos. FYI, the fit of the SideXSide Expeds with the slight overlap and/or seam in the middle is not noticeable or felt when the sheet/blanket is over the pads.

CONS of both set-ups: They both cover the easy access to my center seat NL Weekender 50 fridge/freezer; I can still access with no problem but it does have its downside for sure.

Someday in the future I may have a custom mattress built for the platform that has a flip open area for the fridge access! The Super Tramp find looks very similar to my ideal design; only I would go a tad thicker I think and never look back.

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_6128.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles