need to insulate between aluminum box and framerails?

chasespeed

Explorer
I would go with a hard rubber gasket making material.. Should be PLENTY durable, and definitely do the job.

2 things....

What are you going to do with the area under the overhang?

And, probably not needed, but, if this is going to see off road conditions...

I would make some plates to bolt through, to act as washers.. just, larger, spread the load some....

Overkill... yeah, but, its an aluminum floor like you said....

Looks like a sweet build...

Chase

jesusgatos

Explorer
Gasket-making material? I'd need kind of a lot of it. I was thinking about a thin sheet of rubber or something like that.

To be honest, I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do with the area under the cabover. It's a drop-frame trailer, so the framerails are pretty low (compared to the deuce) and I'm going to push the box all the way forward to where the tongue is mounted to the bulkhead. There will be a deck on top of the trailer tongue, and some type of storage under the cabover though. Probably a large propane tank. Maybe a spare tire. Firewood? I don't know. But I'm going to have to pinch the corners of the cabover in so that the trailer won't hit the box on the back of my truck when I make tight maneuvers. I'm just going to cut it down to match the trailer tongue/deck.

Oh, and you might be right about the plates. I'm just going to use some large fender washers for right now, but I'll keep an eye on them and will add plates if the bolts start to pull through the floor. This is kind of a down-and-dirty buildup. I'm anxious to get on the road and I'm not too concerned about finishing everything before I call it 'done'. Hah.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion. I might just order some of that stuff. It would be really easy to apply before I bolt the box down permanently. I got it mounted on the trailer chassis yesterday. Went pretty well, all things considered, and the final fit is great.

chasespeed

Explorer
Gasket-making material? I'd need kind of a lot of it. I was thinking about a thin sheet of rubber or something like that.

Yeah, thats what I was talking about... but, its about 1/16 or 1/4 inch thick uncompressed... I wasnt talking about the squeeze tube stuff.

That PE stuff woudl work 100 times better though...

Chase

jesusgatos

Explorer
Well, I just finished bolting the uhaul box down onto the trailer chassis so that I can move it around safely. There was some galvanic corrosion where the box was mounted directly to the steel rear bumper, but it wasn't very bad and this thing was made in 1977! I might order some of that material that Thom suggested using, but I'm not too concerned about it anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior