Need to get active-er.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Get a boogie board and have at it! Nice ones are cheap at about $40 bucks and paddling out a few times will kick your but on a good day. It's great fun, but then again I'm just a big kid. And, by big I mean 6'1"/270. I also do free dive spearfishing, great workout and you come home with a healthy dinner depending on how you cook em.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Do you live close to work? I ride my bicycle. When I don't, I come home and do a quick 1 hour ride (at whatever pace) combined with pushups and situps (cross-training) and call it good.

But like most people say. It's heavily weighted on diet. The exercise makes me feel good, but eating right really puts your body in high gear.

dzzz

this thread is getting de-railed. haha. thanks for the input, though.

I've already made lifestyle changes, to re-iterate.

-I don't smoke
-I drink very little
-I walk vigorously twice a day
-I don't eat dairy
-I don't drink soda
-I don't eat chips or cereal anymore, (though I do
eat a small amount of oatmeal every day for cholesterol
control.)
-I've lost 20 solid lbs in the last year...

I'm not looking for an exercise routine per se....I'm more asking about activities that you do keep you active just cuz they're fun.

Some of you guys have hit the nail on the head...thanks for the post telling me what you do...

:)

Your actually doing really well. Sometimes the scale weight stops going down for awhile and that can be demotivating.

LilKJ

Adventurer
While it's not the end-all be-all solution that it claims to be... check out http://www.crossfit.com

They'll tell you the workout to do every day... it takes less than an hour... always things you can do with no equipment... and there's scaled down workouts every day for people at various fitness levels.

Cheap, free, and you're told what to do... I generally resort to it for a couple months whenever my motivation leaves me ;)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
While it's not the end-all be-all solution that it claims to be... check out http://www.crossfit.com

They'll tell you the workout to do every day... it takes less than an hour... always things you can do with no equipment... and there's scaled down workouts every day for people at various fitness levels.

Cheap, free, and you're told what to do... I generally resort to it for a couple months whenever my motivation leaves me ;)

thats pretty cool. I've seen those gyms around here. might be fun.

Just recently stepped up to 3 walks a day. forgot to mention.

1-15min walk in the morning

30min walk at lunch

1-15min walk in the afternoon.

I wish I could lengthen the duration, but our breaks are standard osha rules, so while I can vary WHEN I take them, how long isn't negotiable.

I've stopped worrying about it, and focus on intensity, posture, stride length, etc...

better'n nothing. :)

Last few days, I've taken to throwing my kids around a bit. They're like little medicine balls. I kneel on the floor, pick'em up and throw em at the couch.

They bounce off, and come back running. With two of them cycling its great fun for them and it blows me out in about 20mins..haha!:coffeedrink:

bucketosudz

Explorer
Have you seen or considered one of these?
http://www.thexvest.com/

May help you get away from the plateau you have hit. I will be getting one for myself soon. They had similar versions of the vest when I was on the Fire Department in the early 90's, they work well.

Fish

Adventurer
Those vests are god-awful expensive. I just bought a cheap(-ish) backpack and some lead weights. Could probably get the weights on Craigslist for real cheap. Bonus is that the backpack is Camelback friendly.

Speaking of Craigslist, you could get on there and buy a manual lawnmower for dirt cheap. That would increase exertion to mow the lawn... exercise and environmentally friendly.

baca327

Adventurer
Id recommend you do your hardest cardio in the morning as this is the time when you will lose the most fat. Make sure you eat a healthy light breakfast before you work out. Fruits and a granola bar are great. You need to drink lots of water as stated earlier. For instance on an easy day I usually drink a gallon, on work out days sometimes two. The only other thing I let myself drink is V8's (vegetable content), sometimes I let myself have a powerade or gatorade but only the zero calorie ones. The regular ones are loaded with sugar. Crossfit would be great for that thirty minute lunch because most routines are less than 15 minutes long. Trust me that is all the time you need. Also giving you plenty of time to eat. Like also stated earlier diet is key. I might sound harder but a loaf of wheat bread a couple cans of tuna and some fruits and vegetables that will probably make you two or more lunches is cheaper than a supersized big mac meal. Also a gallon of cheap water is like a dollar or two. If you start eating and drinking healthy the day you give in and have fast food you'll feel heavy and tired. It depends on how committed you are to this. If you do you'll notice you have more energy during the day and just feel better. I decided I didnt wanna be out of shape when the little ones get older I don't wanna have a heart attack at 40.

winkosmosis

Explorer
Build an exercise bike that spins a dynamo that powers your TV. Every time you want to watch TV you'll have to power it yourself the whole time

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Your hitting the downwards slope of age and testosterone !

I'm 44 now and trying to fight the flab from the happy family guy syndrome

Last time I saw under 200 was using prescription diet pills

and the heaviest to date was in the US.

Going from humping dive tanks and drilling rig floor work to a mouse and keyboard...........also took its toll

Food- do not eat out !..............you don't and cannot control what they use and how they cook it.

You can grill anything but it does not make it healthy !

Kite surfing - i did that for two years and it kept my weight down easily but takes time and money, its a wicked powerfull sport, the power of a sport bike with the unpredictability of a horse and a the surfy feel of a BIG wave awsome........but its not cheap I probably have as much kitesurfing gear as dirt biking gear

But as a weight loss thing, if you don't live at a windy beach forget it.

I've been doing desert enduro here in the middle east a four day ache is normal, and curling up to sleep in the afternoon lovely

but getting to ride every weekend and the family makes this a non starter too as a fitness regime.

We have an eliptical machine at home I just set up with a PC screen to watch movies while i workout, as I hate boring machines.

Then play action movies with actors having awsome bodies, preferable female for me but whatever floats your boat.........some dance music and 1/2hr a day flies by.

Then at the weekend the enduro rides are the happy addition rather than the hard slog

just waiting for my stuff to arrive here in qatar to get started again.

Excercise for non fitness freaks needs a few rules to get it to work.

Do it first thing in the morning- no excuses about that bad day at work

Do it close to home- convenience and total time required

Try to make it part of the daily routine

if your walking already and have a time limit, get out the bergan and some water bottles and start loading yourself up

same time - more workout

Give yourself an obtainable target..........buy dirt bike apon reaching X pounds........then the new toy helps both before and after to help with the weight loss

7wt

Expedition Leader
Well I just spent yesterday afternoon with my new 3 meter kite in winds in the mid teens. This morning I am so incredibly sore. Muscles that I forgot I had are reminding me they are there in the most unpleasant way. I had a blast wrestling the wind, getting dragged around a field is more fun than I can explain. The best $250 I have ever spent.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My 74 year old neighbor still windsurfs. He'll probably live to be 100

thats cool. I miss hawaii. Lived in kehei for a little while on the s. shore of maui. AMAZING windsurfing right there off the beach. Kite surfing had yet to take off (pun intended...lol)

We haven't been back since we've had kids. Love to take my family on a trip over there to show them where my family spent so much time. I could spend a whole afternoon upcountry in Maui. Or up on pali lookout, watching the birds use the updrafts.

fowldarr

Explorer
Okay, my turn to throw in some input, I like to keep my stuff varied, and sounds like we are a lot alike, I'm 5'11" 205ish, I don't worry so much about the weight, it's my figure that I worry about (joking), What killed my overall condition was becoming a family man, regular meals, kids, etc, have me sporting a party ball instead of a six pack.

But we stay active, we take the kids walking with us, biking with us, but all of that has been covered, one of our favorites, that gets you outside, walking, throwing, still low impact, is Disc Golf. you can do it with just one mid-range disc (each) at less than $10/disc. The courses are free (usually). You throw, you walk, no golf carts, the kids love it, they run around, a lot of the courses are at parks so they can play on the toys when they are done.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Okay, my turn to throw in some input, I like to keep my stuff varied, and sounds like we are a lot alike, I'm 5'11" 205ish, I don't worry so much about the weight, it's my figure that I worry about (joking), What killed my overall condition was becoming a family man, regular meals, kids, etc, have me sporting a party ball instead of a six pack.

But we stay active, we take the kids walking with us, biking with us, but all of that has been covered, one of our favorites, that gets you outside, walking, throwing, still low impact, is Disc Golf. you can do it with just one mid-range disc (each) at less than $10/disc. The courses are free (usually). You throw, you walk, no golf carts, the kids love it, they run around, a lot of the courses are at parks so they can play on the toys when they are done.

thats a great suggestion!

I was way into ultimate frisbee in college. I've always wanted to start back into "hucking" again. Golf would be a good way to get my arms back into shape for throwing...

-B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior