Need to buy a Scepter Water Can

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
cruiseroutfit said:
I don't beleive they have discontinued the water can... but now that many retailers are cut off on the fuel cans, they are dropping the Scepter line all together.

That's not news I want to hear. What's the reasoning that Specter is cutting off the supply of fuel cans for retailers?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Generator Joe said that he was the national supplier and prices got out of hand.

I'm not sure how to take any of that, but that is what he said in his email.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Oh darn. If Scepter cans are going to become harder to find and even more expensive, I'll need to find an alternative.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Why are these water cans so popular?
Don't get me wrong - I own two of them but have yet to use them or test them yet. I got them because I was looking for some large heavy duty leak proof water cans (all of my various cans leak a little). I got them from Quadratec when I got a few of the Scepter Fuel cans, but from what I have heard they do or can leak a little from the small cap. Does anyone have this leak experience?

-mg

4RunAmok

Explorer
The Scepter is far from leak proof.

I think I bought the last one from Equipt in OD-Green, and it leaks like a siv from the air vent. They include an O-ring on it that doesn't seat right and certainly does nothing to seal the vent.

They use a compression seal on the main opening and on the spout opening, it's hard to tell if those are leaking as well from the short look I gave it.

I filled mine with 20L of water, went to put it in the truck for my last trip, and it leaked just from the water sloshing around.

It's brand new, not even taken on a trip yet. I did the efferdent cleaning, put water in it, and there it sits across the room unable to go on trips because it leaks so much.

I'm tempted to just stick silicone up the vent hole and install my own vent that I know will seal properly.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
4RunAmok said:
I think I bought the last one from Equipt in OD-Green, and it leaks like a siv from the air vent. They include an O-ring on it that doesn't seat right and certainly does nothing to seal the vent.
Bummer.. I wonder if there is a top available without the pour spout and breather vent. I have looked around but not seen anything. I suppose an email to Paul at Equipt is in order.

Bulldawg

I recommend www.buylci.com for your water cans. They're govt contractors, so their cans are pretty much going to be to the same specs at the Sceptors, just without the Sceptor name.

$15.84/ea, free FedEx shipping over $50. I've got eight of 'em.

Just "Shop/Preview" as a guest, and run a search on "water can".

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've had excellent results with my Scepter cans, I've got ~15 of them that I use on a regular basis, no leak issues to speak of. I use a strap wrench to tighten the cans, they stay leak free even on their side getting bounced around in my trailer. As far as the spout, again, use a strap wrench (or a ratchet strap) and tighten it down tight, AND line up the vent holes, works like a charm IMO, I get very little spilling while fueling.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
4RunAmok said:

They use a compression seal on the main opening and on the spout opening, it's hard to tell if those are leaking as well from the short look I gave it.

I filled mine with 20L of water, went to put it in the truck for my last trip, and it leaked just from the water sloshing around.

It's brand new, not even taken on a trip yet. I did the efferdent cleaning, put water in it, and there it sits across the room unable to go on trips because it leaks so much.

I'm tempted to just stick silicone up the vent hole and install my own vent that I know will seal properly.

May be a bad batch?

I've got mil-surplus and brand new, all without leaks. Both large and half sizes.

pwc

Explorer
4RunAmok said:

Call them and they'll send you new ones. I had 5 and they sent all new lids, no questions asked. It came from Canada ground post so it took a bit to get here, but all is better.

4RunAmok

Explorer
pwc said:
Call them and they'll send you new ones. I had 5 and they sent all new lids, no questions asked. It came from Canada ground post so it took a bit to get here, but all is better.
Who should I call? Got a number?

Also, it appears I got the "desert sand" color, not the OD green.

EDIT: Found an email address for them, I'll send something off to them.

Last edited:

4RunAmok

Explorer
I spoke with an Engineer named Frank, he's in their military division, in charge of the manufacturing.

He's sending me new lids. One for mine and some for my friend.

He asked that I send in my old lid for inspection to see what's wrong with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles