Need suggestions on fiberglass top

silvrzuki77

explorer
So at the local pic a part I found a fiberglass topper. It would total work for my next step of doing a dinette sleeper setup. Any pros or cons you guys can think of? Or should I hold out for a super camper to have that sleeping area for my kids. FYI $110 buck for the top.
eb4ee3b79ff4cd343b17f4cd23b9c835.jpg
648d19f1c57603f906a258c5e467669a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eporter

Adventurer
Hard to beat the price. If you install it and don’t like it, you’ll already have your roof cut for the future extra-tall top. Armchair quarterback says DO IT!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
That top is cheap however just because it's cheap does not mean it's a good deal.

That top only adds maybe 12-15 inches of height. Still can't stand up or have a upstairs sleeping so what's the point.

WAIT until you find a van top that is exactly what you want and don't compromise by installing a top that's just "OK" because it's easily available and cheap.

Keep looking a high top work van with a nice 24 inch top will make to your local PAP!

Last edited:

ober27

Adventurer
If you're willing and able to do the work, I'd say go for it! I'm waking up in our van after the tenth night in a row this morning, a foot of extra headroom would make a HUGE difference in our ability to move around inside. If you do it, please document the process here for us to follow. I'm at the point now where I need to decide if it's worth installing a top on our current van, or possibly start looking for its replacement. Good luck with whatever you decide,and please let us know.

Len.Barron

Observer
Wait and find one that allows you to stand up without stooping...that's a huge job and you won't want to do it twice...some of those old tops are so well glued in place you may do damage removing it and have to do repairs...again, not the kind of thing you want to do twice

Reactions: WVI

silvrzuki77

explorer
Yeah..... It would help for my dinette setup for head room.... but that’s about it. Rather have a super camper top. I thought about pulling it and selling it for like .2 seconds so sick of doing that now. Lol.

brushogger

Explorer
If you're only going to be using it as a weekender, and are on a budget, I'd say do it as long as you mind the caveats above. Also, get an awning so you have some covered standing room if it's raining. If you're going to be regularly be staying in it for days at a time, wait for a 24". Being able to stand is a huge thing if you're kept inside by the weather, and when changing clothes.

Reactions: WVI

silvrzuki77

explorer
Thanks for all the responses.... I’m going to wait for a bigger top if I’m going to do it. Guess I need to increase my junkyard visits.

Corneilius

Adventurer
I have that exact top lol, it worked great for my wife and I as weekend warriors/2 weeks max. We have an awning to stand under if we need to stretch, and the top allows me to "stand up" to get dressed, brush my teeth etc. That said, currently planning my next van and it will have a Super Camper top.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles