Need spare tire advice

taliv

Observer
I'm debating bumper mount vs roof rack. 37" tire, 2017 ram 2500 mega cab, towing tent trailer half the time. Typical trip is 1000+ interstate miles followed by 50+ miles on dirt and worse BLM or similar roads/trails

My wish list:
A spare tire
Not unnecessarily extending length of vehicle
Not disabling the rear camera
Not disabling rear park assist (though the trailer is going to break that anyway)
Avoid any awkward or unnecessarily dangerous lifting or lowering of large tire to and from a roof rack which would be 8ish ft up
Minimal impairment to visibility through rear view mirror
Minimize road noise
Minimize reduction in mpg due to jacking up aerodynamics (though the truck is basically brick-shaped anyway)
And I'd like the tire not to rip the roof off and turn into a projectile if I come to a sudden stop
Prefer some security so stealing the tire isn't trivial
I am not overly concerned about height as I will have ham antennae extending well above the cab.

I get that it's unlikely to find a solution that meets all of these but I'd like advice on what's realistic as I have no hands on experience with any of the products.
I am looking at the alluminess bumper or the hitch gate. Haven't found a roof rack yet. Some options look suitable but then say they wont handle 37" tire

Thanks

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hitchgate runs about $800. The nice thing about it. You can stow it in the shed with the spare about 90% of the time. Use a hand truck rigged up to drag it out to the truck hitch. I like mine.

taliv

Observer
never. doesn't sound like much fun, especially in the snow on side of a mountain in middle of nowhere, which is why i initially rejected it and was just looking at bumper options.

CCPAJeeper

Observer
I agree with Pappa, that is damn heavy to put up and take off your roof rack. Also, you have to be really careful taking it down. I saw a guy one time just let it fall off the rack. It bounced back toward the truck and completely caved in his bed side. So, there are vehicle damages to consider, and even more important, you back.
Good luck with your decision.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Hitchgate runs about $800. The nice thing about it. You can stow it in the shed with the spare about 90% of the time. Use a hand truck rigged up to drag it out to the truck hitch. I like mine.

I like mine as well. I like the ability to remove the whole setup and leave it in the garage and then installing it for the long trips. I still have my spare underneath as well. The jerry can holder is obnoxiously expensive at almost half the cost of the whole setup and all it does is hold 2 jerry cans.

Betarocker

Adventurer
On my old truck I added some bolt-on anchor points in the bed. I have a long box so there is room ahead of the wheel hump (giggity) for the spare to fit. Added one anchor point behind the spare and used the factory tie-down anchor to hook the tire strap to and the added one to anchor the ratchet part to. Added another anchor point to the bed wall behind the spare and used a tie down ratchet strap though the spare's spokes to keep the spare tight against the wall. I found that I need the wall strap after having the spare bounce out on the bottom when the terrain got rough.

http://www.ericksonmfg.com/product/1200-lb-wire-flip-anchor/
http://www.ericksonmfg.com/product/10000-lb-adjustable-tire-strap-wratchet/
http://www.ericksonmfg.com/product/1”-x-15’-3000-lb-ratchet/

Will be doing something similar on the new truck, but trying to figure out something slicker and with less of a point loading mount.
The link below is a design I'm considering

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...t-51-quot-tire-Efficient-Design-Uses-Less-Bed

attachment.php

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
^I like that idea. In the bed. Standing up. Strapped down.

If you do it on the left side there will be minimal impact to vision while driving. Run a bike cable lock through it for security.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Why can't you just strap it in the bed?
Yeah, my question as well. If you had a slide in camper I could understand but you said you tow a trailer. What's in the bed of your truck?
EDITED TO ADD: Actually my first question would be: Are you certain it won't fit in the factory location under the bed? I thought some of these big full size pickups come from the factory with 34 or 35" tires. A 37" woudn't be that much bigger so that would be my first thought. Second would be the bed of the truck.
I don't know how much a 37" tire/wheel combo weighs but I'll bet it's over 100lbs. No way would I want that on the roof, just thinking about putting it up there or getting it down makes my back hurt.

js9234

Observer
Some 35's will fit in the factory location but not all. I have 34X12's on a 2014 3500 and it fits in the factory location with very little to spare.

taliv

Observer
hamachi thanks for the pic and feedback!

strap it to trailer.... it may be possible, when i'm on trips with the trailer (half of my trips). the trailer has space for 2 spare tires, but doubt they will accommodate 37" tires. if they do, it will be close
these are not my pics, just examples i pulled from google images to illustrate.
1004801025_4_644x461_imagine-trailvan-3-bed-2007-model-for-sale-vehicles.jpg
1003148141_3_1000x700_2011-imagine-trailvan-3-sleeper-4-4-trailer-other.jpg

strap it in bed.... bed is full. have a diamondback cover on top, and potentially carrying a 4wheeler or side by side up there, and a truckvault and slide out in bed full of gear.

again, not my pics. if i put the tire on the bumper, then that will limit me to hauling a 4wheeler (which can be loaded sideways) and prohibit the side by side. although i will drive fairly conservatively when hauling all that stuff, i am a little leery anyway about having that much weight (sxs on bed, tire over cab) that high up, as it will no doubt affect the center of gravity and handling. if i had to swerve suddenly, it could make a real mess. so although it's expensive, the aluminess and side-loading only a 4wheeler is "plan A" at the moment.
4743213826_aa16ae880b.jpg
hd-7-med.jpg
quadsf250wunjunga006_zps95e073b5.jpg

factory location.... i've been told no, it won't fit under bed. i forgot what the max size was. i even asked if it could be aired down and compressed somewhat to fit. nope

thanks for the input...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94