Need some tech help in buying an LR3

SexyExy

Observer
I'm on the hunt for an LR3 or LR4 and spent about an hour with an LR3 yesterday that I'm interested in buying. It's a 2008 with about 87k on it. Here are a couple of things I ran into that I'm not familiar with:

1. I was able to put the truck on my 4 post lift to look under it. Everything looks very good with no obvious leaks, no torn CV's, etc. But, I did notice that the lower rear control arm bushings (the larger of the two) were able to be moved about a 1/4" when I used a larger 18" prybar to see how much movement they had. The service records show the lower control arm bushings were replaced (the not complete A-arm) by a local Indy shop. The smaller lower control arm bushing had nearly no movement. Is the larger lower control arm bushing suppose to move that much? They "looked" prefect with no signs of cracking, squishing or whatever else rubber bushings do when they fail. They almost seems too compliant but I'm not sure.....I'd think that too much compliance would change suspension settings under heavy load. The truck drove great with no obvious suspension or handling issues.

2. I did not take the truck off road, but to test the low range and different terrain response settings, I drove the truck in "off road" suspension height while in low range back and forth in my warehouse that has a very slick polished floor to allow for tire slippage (at least that was my theory). I only drove it forward and backwards about 75' in a straight line. In the "rock crawling" setting, I kept hearing a sound from the left front of the truck that sounded like a very bad CV joint when I'd first start off. It did not do this in any other of the terrain response settings. Could this be due to having the center diff locked during this test? Any thoughts?

3. The front passenger floor was very wet under the floor mat. The owner had recently had the windshield replaced. From how many areas can water enter into the passenger side foot well on an LR3? Owner called a local LR dealer and they felt that the windshield cowl might be warped or might have been damaged during the windshield install. Can any water from the sun roof drains make it down to the passenger side foot well?

Any input would be appreciated :)

ColoDisco

Explorer
Subroof drains can leak into the cabin. As for rear arm bushings I have only replaced whole arms due to failure, having said that I have only done it once for bushing wear. Other time was due to 4 wheeling damage. It is a rare failure.

keeper1616

Observer
I would run from a truck with a very wet passenger floor. Don't settle.

This. There are a ton of LR3/LR4 out there, don't bother with this. The sunroofs leak horribly on some LR3s if they get clogged. Just find another one.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I disagree about the sunroof water. This was entirely too common. If you tried to find one without a history of this, you'll never end up buying one. If you can pull the carpet to check for mold, that would be about all I'd worry about.

Yes, that amount of bushing play is pretty normal, and will lead to clunking when off road. Land Rover spec'd a bushing material with the consistency of peanut butter. It's part of the joys of LR3 ownership. It's all worth it though.

SexyExy

Observer
Thanks for all the input.

Any opinions about the noise I'm hearing from the left front when I shift into gear when in off road suspension height and rock crawl terrain response setting? I seemed to happen when I shifted into Drive from reverse and lasted for about 5 to 10 feet of driving then the noise went away. I did not hear this sound when trying this in the other terrain response options.

Thanks in advance.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Without hearing it in person I can only speculate that it might have been traction control given the slick floor surface. 75 yards is a long way to have that happen though. In regards to a wet footwell I should add that you should check under the passenger footwell carpet, lift up the wiring harness loom cover and see how much water is in there. A common corrosion point for a couple footwell pinch welds in the wiring. I have done several repairs to the harness in that location. Sunroof drains are tricky but can be replaced as a diy. If you go this route let me know, I have some tricks for the passenger side.

SexyExy

Observer
Without hearing it in person I can only speculate that it might have been traction control given the slick floor surface. 75 yards is a long way to have that happen though. In regards to a wet footwell I should add that you should check under the passenger footwell carpet, lift up the wiring harness loom cover and see how much water is in there. A common corrosion point for a couple footwell pinch welds in the wiring. I have done several repairs to the harness in that location. Sunroof drains are tricky but can be replaced as a diy. If you go this route let me know, I have some tricks for the passenger side.

Ok, thanks......I just hate water leaks....they can cause so many issues down the road (literally, lol)

Ray_G

Explorer
Ok, thanks......I just hate water leaks....they can cause so many issues down the road (literally, lol)
Despite the fact that Land Rovers come from a country that is a wet island they tend to not have good watertight integrity. The LR3 is no different in that regard. The wet floorboard on the pass side is fairly common-almost ubiquitious with ownership-between the sunroof drains, the lower windshield cowling or the A pillar trim being loose.

SexyExy

Observer
Pretty funny they can cross a river but can't keep rain from getting into through the sunroof, lol......my daughters 2004 Disco is the same way. Since she was a starving college student, we just had a local shop that does clear bras put clear bra material over both sunroofs about 1" past all the borders. Downside is you can't use your sunroofs.....upside is no leaks for over 5 years!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz