Need some Taco advice...please!

Andy G

Adventurer
I don't have a Taco - yet - but am considering pulling the trigger on one of these 2...wondering if you all could give me some suggestions on what I specifically need to look for, Tacoma-wise, and which one you would choose?

The first one is a 2010 Tacoma AccessCab, TRDSport... https://www.boondoxmi.com/inventory/details/37410567

The second one is a 2009 Tacoma DoubleCab, TRD Sport... https://www.boondoxmi.com/inventory/details/37444124

I really like both trucks. I know neither needs to worry about timing BELTS, but what other issues (other than normal car stuff) should I be looking for?

Thanks so much!
Andy

rruff

Explorer
I'd suggest doing a search for new Tacomas, maybe leftover 2017s. I paid $31k for my Tundra last fall (about $5k below sticker). Toyotas hold their value for a reason, but it didn't make sense (to me) to spend 70% of new price for something that has 100k miles.

Subie_roo

rruff is right. I've been eyeballing tacomas here in Montana and there's almost no point buying used. You take a whole bunch of miles for not a lot of discount. I almost went for a 2017 Tacoma SR double cab with tow package and roof rack, they had it at $31,400 here locally before any haggling. Only reason I didn't was some unexpected (but welcome) expenses, I'll stick to my ram 2500 for a bit longer now.

phsycle

Adventurer
The first concern would be that these vehicles spent their time in rust belt. It would be a nightmare trying to work on the truck without breaking bolts.

I would also say to look at new Tacoma's. SR model, 4WD, Accesscab can be had for $9-10k more than those vehicles. Maybe cheaper now that the '18's are rolling out.

WillBeck

Adventurer
well, the cab sizes are quite different, that is something you have to decide for yourself.

Personally i'd look for an offroad trim, vs the sport. What are you looking to do with the truck?

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
i went though a simular situation when i was looking at buying a new car.. these are the reasons i almost talked myself into new:

1. you really only save a couple thousand bucks by buying a couple years old. and you have to be lucky enough to find the one you want.
2. you save money buying new because you can usually get a better interest rate on the loan. at least those of us that finance it.
3. you get to pick the color and package you actually want, not settling for best fit or i guess its good enough.
4. I drive a three pedal so owning that clutch and knowing its all mine and not someone else's old used up garbage is valuable to me also.

but i ended up finding the most perfect vehicle in the world used and bought a used FJC! tacos are nice but FJC ******!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier