Need some schooling on 2010ish Land Rover Range Rover HSE

zimm

Expedition Leader
You're gonna know repair costs, soon enough.

on a side note, out of curiosity, i just looked at LC vs LR. the LC was 5 digits cheaper new, and is 5 digits more now. like, 2-2.5x resale value. heck of a swing.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Excellent vehicles. I'm going to make the assumption that you are interested primarily in longevity and reliability.

I'd look back for an 07-09 non-supercharged version. Those seem to be the best years. That said I'm sure a 2010 is pretty good on reliability as well. Main thing is maintenance. These machines LOVE oil changes, suspension components, and brake pads/rotors. I guess you specify 2010 because you know of one.

If you can do the work yourself, you can save A TON of money. Lots of documentation. Parts catalogs are available and I'm buying stuff for my LR3 overseas. So much cheaper. That with the GAP tool, you have the ability to pretty much do anything yourself on the vehicle.

Keep oil changes around the 5k mark for dyno oil. 7k for synthetic. 30k, you are looking at brakes, diff fluid change, and transfer case. At 60k, transmission. The transmissions are supposed to be "sealed for life" but we've all learned that is a lie. Fortunately, Ford used the ZF6, so they have a ford fluid which is acceptable, but for a reasonable price.

The air suspension is surprisingly reliable and durable. Of course there is that one guy who has blown out air bags, but the struts are reliable. Of course at 120k or so, struts are struts and are probably worn out. Same with lower control arm. They've gotten better but still sucks.

I'm spending about $1500/yr on my LR3. Quadruple that if I wasn't doing most of the work myself. That said I have a high standard for my vehicles, I don't like crappy crap crapping up my driving experience.

So Rangie vs. 100 series...a classic debate. Obviously the 100 series has the "reputation" and well deserved. I've driven a 100 series and used it off road across the southeast. A well squared away 100 series is a joy to drive. I think the Range Rover rides better, has better performance, and is more capable off road (stock vs. stock, you slap a front locker and 33s on a 100 series, of course its going to be better). Also it is easier to modify the 100 series. At 70 mph, the RR does get better fuel economy. Of course, good luck driving at only 70 mph. The air suspension rides better and the whole vehicle feels better.

The 100 series is good for at least 300k, assuming it isn't destroyed, somewhat maintained, and not rusted out. Really, same with the range rover but will go through more parts. The RR will tow better, if that is a requirement and the back seat area is nicer.

However you want to split it. Cruising in a Rangie is a fantastic feeling.

1range

Adventurer
Honestly unless you’re getting a smoking deal I’d stay away from a 10. Unless.... you like visiting your local service shop and willing to spend $$$$$ annually. I speak from experience, on the shop side!

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
What ever year you get try to find it under 100K and get an aftermarket Warranty. My LR3 would be rotting in a field if I didn't have that Warranty, it saved me 6k the first year I owned the Truck. I had full dealer documentation of all the service when I bought it.

merr1ca

Excellent vehicle. Expensive to maintain, but not unreliable as such. Id say comparable to other European cars of similar stature.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have not heard any good things about synthetic (from friend that is a Rover tech) in Rovers. Use the oil that the Rover book recommends it isn't that much. A few more $ on good oil will be worth it in the long run. Get the oil change kit from Atlantic British, filters and drain plugs. Don't cheap out on this vehicle.

Nathansharkey80

The L322 is a very good quality vehicle that is every bit as capable as it is comfortable. I feel it is the best Range Rover since the Classic was discontinued. I have one and will be keeping it indefinitely. The only downside to this vehicle is that the aftermarket community for land rovers has forgotten about this legendary car in their endeavors to grow the enthusiast following for Land Rovers. I have installed a roof rack from Front Runner and also installed aftermarket wheels from Compotomotive allowing me to run a smaller wheel for larger tire side wall. There is currently at the time of writing this no aftermarket steel sliders that I have been able to find and also no front winch bumpers or rear bumpers with tire carriers although I have heard some folks have made their own custom ones. There is a coil spring conversion kit that may be of interest to someone however I have not swapped out my air suspension because it has not given me any problems yet and is a great feature on the car. I have installed a dog barrier inside.

The Rover keeps up with pretty well all other 4x4’s produced today with the exception being the gwagens and the wrangler rubicons.

You won’t find a more comfortable car and it is a shame that the aftermarket hasn’t included this exceptional model in their enhancements. I would guess that this speaks to one of two things. Not many people are using these cars off-road yet or they don’t require any modifications to be a great car. I will let you decide.

I would like to find rear and front bumpers for off-road as well as rock sliders. But I have been living without them for this long now that maybe I don’t really need them.

My car is 2012 naturally aspirated 5.0 gasoline full size hse version. I have 190,000 km on it and it still drives just as good today and the day I bought it. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys luxury and comfort and decent performance and handling with some off-road and snowy icy trails in their future. Not recommended for serious mud bogging or rock crawling but definitely capable enough to be able to keep up with the pack of hard core wheelers if there are bypass routes around the extreme stuff.

My experience comes from having 3 Jeep rubicons in different model years, 2 gwagens, currently still enjoying my g-class professional. And also owning an H1 and a Discovery 2 and a defender 110 and a Ford Raptor and a 70’s bronco and a newer dodge power wagon pickup.

Driving around local trails and long trips, you can’t beat the L322. Going through a remote wooded off-road area for 2,000km without tow truck service or fuel stations, you can’t be the G-class. I have both so I have what I believe to be the best of both worlds.

I outgrew the jeeps and the H1 due to Losing interest in extreme stuff. It got to be too costly for me and actually in some cases possibly dangerous. My wife and kids were not having fun watching me dig out my winch accessories and shovel and cheque book every time I took them mudding in the jeeps. The smells of mildew were no longer charming for my wife. The windows always scratched up from mud that I could never completely clean from the window tracks got old and so did I.

They also didn’t like the feeling of tipping over when we played in the rocks. I did manage to roll the D2 and no one was injured and surprisingly very little damage except for a dent in the front corner panel and the hood and the head light was cracked. But it wasn’t a fun experience to say the least.

I had the vehicles and wanted to test their limit or test my limit and I managed to do both. Now I just prefer the muddy trails and the wooded wheeling with some small rock obstacles to try to go over. The kind of wheeling that doesn’t require a professional spotter to guide me through my lines. My wife was never a fan of trying to give me directions. Even backing up to a trailer was not fun for her to direct me to.

Anyways, it’s a long rant and a life story and maybe not something you were looking for but it is an option of the Range Rover l322. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REDROVER

Explorer
If you get one for free take it, otherwise $1 is to much for those junks.
When 80.000 dollar vehicle is being sold under 3 grand in 8 years, there is a reason for that,
Do yourself a favor buy 100 series land cruiser,
Protect your investment and your nerves.

And your are asking wrong group of ppl, those dudes here are die hard Land Rover lovers, they will never admit its a junk.

Nathansharkey80

If you get one for free take it, otherwise $1 is to much for those junks.
When 80.000 dollar vehicle is being sold under 3 grand in 8 years, there is a reason for that,
Do yourself a favor buy 100 series land cruiser,
Protect your investment and your nerves.

And your are asking wrong group of ppl, those dudes here are die hard Land Rover lovers, they will never admit its a junk.

Have you ever owned one? Or you just heard of a guy who owned one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
Here is the thing with Land Rover ownership, if you are comfortable working on them yourself they are fantastic. If you're not, they are expensive. Mine have had a number of little failures over time, but never anything huge. I never lost a trans, or anything silly. Lots of fluid leaks (same with my 80) and lots of little electronic failures. I still love them, and I am looking for another as we speak.

REDROVER

Explorer
Guys is there a reason why your are not telling the original poster the truth about those Range rovers ?
just because some of your like the vehicle it doesn’t mean it’s not a terrible vehicle,

Kind sir look at YouTube reviews and Kelly blue book reviews from real consumers not fanatics and you determine if it’s good or bad.

A Philosopher Once said, if you know how short life is, you will never buy shoes with laces.
Why do you wanna spend time at mechanic shops and waiting for tow trucks,
Get a Toyota enjoy the adventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles