Need Some Quick Input

Stryder106

Explorer
*FacePalm* sounds to me you should delete the thread and start over with all the correct information. Otherwise any and all answers here are pointless and misleading if the facts aren't correct from the beginning.

Or - use that little "Edit" UI............ :)

Stryder106

Explorer
D44 rear was an option in 07, but was matched with a tow package. Can't say for sure if it also reqd the 3.73s. easy to do the math. 07 had some weird stuff and combinations. Get a FCA build sheet. Tires were an option from the factory...but were all seasons. Sounds like someone might be mixing build sheet vs KBB options that the dealer checked.

Rust. Yes...there will be surface rust for sure. My exhaust has looked like **** for years. Corrosion showed up on the alum engine parts early too..all it takes is one or two short periods in salt /snow to make it look like crap. A single drive through salt water as Pismo can do it too. I drove across the country in middle of winter through snow country. When I got back to Cali, the amount to surface rust on the underside made me think the jeep spent most of its life in a rust belt (as compared to my wife's Toyota, my Audi, or even old GM suburban) The driveshafts also have lots of surface rust. Jeep does not have the corrosion protection quality like most others, but I haven't seen many JKs that are rust buckets like previous Jeep years.

Front rcvrs aren't an option I am aware not..wonder if you might be seeing a tow bar setup for a toad -> dragging it behind a motorhome.

Service records on carfax are notoriously incorrect. Could be lots of reasons...incl that the PO took it to get changed at a local shop /DUY instead of dealer ... And then the dealer became competitive (like what happened with my local Toyota dealer).

sent via the cone of silence

Ah - hadn't thought about those front receivers being for flat towing - that makes sense. I did some checking on that quarter panel rust and in order to completely stop that rust, it would require grinding it to find where it ends, and then repainting the entire quarter panel. This is my daughter's money that she earned and she is only 15. So, I just wouldn't feel right about her spending pretty much every single penny to get this Jeep, and THEN still have to deal with that body panel rust. I'm not trying to find a perfect car for cheap, I'm realistic, but I also know what rust can do if left untreated.

rubicon91

Explorer
Ah - hadn't thought about those front receivers being for flat towing - that makes sense. I did some checking on that quarter panel rust and in order to completely stop that rust, it would require grinding it to find where it ends, and then repainting the entire quarter panel. This is my daughter's money that she earned and she is only 15. So, I just wouldn't feel right about her spending pretty much every single penny to get this Jeep, and THEN still have to deal with that body panel rust. I'm not trying to find a perfect car for cheap, I'm realistic, but I also know what rust can do if left untreated.
With all you said I think a nice mileage TJ would be perfect for her. The 4.0 is an awesome engine in it and it doesn't sound like she needs a 4 door so find her a nice TJ and let her enjoy it. 1-2 years difference in what you are looking at would not be a big deal. In fact would probably do you and her a world better by finding a 05 or 06. If you could get a LJ in those years for a nice price that would be awesome as well as not many around compared to TJs. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

radiantsilver

I own a 2011 JKU Sahara. It doesn't sound like this is a terrible deal for you...

With that mileage, if it is indeed bone stock, I'd expect that you'll be replacing front end joints pretty quickly. As stated above, stock ball joints are junk and will cause "death wobble". Also expect tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, and front axle u-joints in the future at some point.

My 3.8l does burn off about a half quart between oil changes. I read somewhere that Chrysler finds a loss of one quart per 3000 miles to be acceptable. Not that that will make me feel warm and fuzzy at night but at least they acknowledge that this motor loses oil. Not a big deal, just stay on top of general maintenance. The 3.8l is 202 hp (or around there, I'm going by memory) and the 3.6l is 285 hp (again, I may be a bit off, from memory) so naturally the 3.6l is a nice upgrade but my 3.8l does okay... I have a leveling kit, JKURHR springs and shocks, and meaty 33's. It doesn't love turning these tires but it does so under protest. I wheel my Jeep, not super hard, but hard enough. I also have a LOT of added weight (steel bumpers front and rear, skids and sliders, winch...). It's not made for high speed highway driving. It's a box on wheels. As long as you know that going in you'll be fine. It sounds like she probably won't get too crazy with it anyway, if for no other reason than aftermarket parts are $$$$$.

All in all, I LOVE my 2011 and the only reason I'd consider trading it would be to get into a 3.6l but it's not enough of a bother to me to actually make a move. If she loves the Jeep and the money is right I'd say grab it. It won't be anything like the YJ. They've come a long way since then.

Edit: Also, a hitch doesn't necessarily mean it has a tow package. Hitches can be had from Quadratec for about $70 and it takes 10 mins to bolt it on. The 3.21's, if correct, will be the worst part of that Jeep. I've got 3.73's on mine and it's not bad. Wish I had 4.10's but not enough to re-gear (+/- $1000). Also, just to clarify the transfer case, Rubicon's have a 4:1 where all others are 2.72:1. If you're not going to wheel it HARD then there's no difference to you. At Rausch Creek Off Road Park I wished I had the 4:1 for some of the areas in the playground.

KD702

I have had an '08 and an '11 with the same 3.8 motor. Both burned oil after or about 100,000 miles. Both had 3:21 gears and neither liked the over sized tires with those gears. Both had the tow package with those gears and motor also.

My '17 has the 3:73 gears and the new 3.6 motor. While the power is a lot better with the same tires and rims from my '11, I do get worse gas mileage in my '17. (but who buys a JKU for Mileage Right?)

MOguy

Explorer
I have a TJ and have no direct experience with the new wranglers other than a couple forums and a couple friends. That being said, I have only heard bad things about the 3.8. People seem to trust and love the 4.0 and I never hear bad things about the 3.6.

Stryder106

Explorer
Our older daughter's 95 YJ 4.0 seems to run fine but does not like to pass smog in SoCal (could be 33" tires and stock gears) with the NOX requirement. The 2012 plus Jeep's are well out of younger daughter's price range (people are asking stupid money for these things). So - we are targeting 2007-2009 range - 4 door, auto.

rubicon91

Explorer
Unfortunately jeeps hold their values especially where I am at. I decided to trade my 12 in for a 17 and got premium value. In fact they didn't even keep my old jeep on the lot for 2 weeks before they sold it and made some money. Jeeps have always been great resale value. My 06 rubi I sold for my 12 and got almost 20k for it in 12. Again good luck sounds like you didn't pull the trigger on the first one you were looking at. Again I would look at a TJ late model as well if this are the years you are looking at. Imo the 4.0 in the TJ is heads and heels above the 3.8.

Also on a side not congrats getting added to trailbadgers ignore list lol. I see your name with a few of us in his signature now. Cracks me up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Stryder106

Explorer
Also on a side not congrats getting added to trailbadgers ignore list lol. I see your name with a few of us in his signature now. Cracks me up! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's seriously funny. Not sure what I did or said beyond pointing out there is an edit button rather than deleting a post, but ok.

gfe jeep

I guess I'll be different. I dont want a 3.6 Penstar. I love my 3.8 and the oil usage issue was not common. Those who had that problem changed the weight of the oil they used.

I have a 2008 Sahara 2 door that is made better than a Rubicon. 37" tires abd regeared fro 3.73 to 5.13. I get 17 miles to the gallon around town and can crawl anywhere!

For my daughter, I'd look for a 2004 to 2006 TJ and if you can fond a good condition LJ, that would be best for offroad.

Mall crawlers could do fine with the 3.6 - theres no room in the engine compartment for anything though, like upgrades.

homeguy

Observer
I've got a 2014 with 4.56 gears and a 3.6l. I'm happy with the MPG's I get. My son has a 2010 with the 3.8 and 4.56 gears. He has 180,000 kms on his and it burns no oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94