Need some help. Does anyone know this 4runner (trd pro, rack, lights, winch)

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Need some help, wanting to see if someone has some background on this 4runner. It's a 16 trd pro, fuel wheels, nitto tires. As I am not a Toyota person I am unsure of the mfg of the rack and the bumper. Can anyone identify who makes these?

It has rock rails too but the pics of them sucked so I requested better ones. Having seen a few t4r's they look like they might be cbi, rci or another mfg that has rails with the "bump out"

The skid under the front looks like it says TRD so I assume it's stock and would normally be silver but on this 4runner it's painted red.

Regardless if no one knows the owner is there anything to look out for on a used 4runner? I've never had anything that wasn't solid axle so I know nothing about cv's, kdss and so on. Anything I should specifically look at? It's got under 20k miles, one owner and doesn't look like it's ever been off road.

Thanks toyota people

used-2016-toyota-4runner-4wd4drv6trdpro-8593-17096840-8-640.jpg

Outside somewhere

Found that exact truck listed at a BMW dealer...

- Seems to have an identical bumper/fender alignment issue on the driver's side. Strange.
- All that PlastiDip on seemingly every panel has got to go! Ugh.

That's it. Was going to post on t4r but I'm not creating an acct just for a couple of posts.

I've requested pics of under the hood to see how the wires for the cube lights, winch are ran. Also the underside to see if there are additional skids, and signs of use etc. Since I'm almost 5 hrs away I'm trying to get a feel for if this was used or just built for looks. Assuming those parts are gobi, warn, cbi, rigid etc and install correctly would that make this pro worth 42k? Clean retail in the US says 45k, trade in says 42k. Just trying gauge where or if I should negotiate on this.

Any 4runner issues that I should specifically look at? Areas for leaks, breaks etc? I don't know jack about cv's but i hear that's a prob area with leaks ftom torn boots.

Thanks.

big44g

The front bumper and sliders appear to be Southern Style Off-road SSO. I have the sliders and may get that bumper one day. Very Good stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Outside somewhere

I really can't speak to price/value as I'm in a very different market. There's always room to negotiate, but the Pros are in high demand and I hear they are flying off the dealerships' floors. That said, a modified Pro will push away some buyers, so you may have a bit of leverage there. I wouldn't count on that winch being a Warn (I'm fairly sure I recognized Smittybilt logos/colors through the grille/bumper in some photos - which is not a bad thing, I run a Smitty X20 myself), nor Rigid for lighting. I say assume that everything is the cheapest and worst quality, and negotiate with that mindset. If you strike a deal you're happy with and find out the parts are better than you expected, then you're ahead of where you expected to be.

A 4runner w/ 20k miles on it won't have any issues. I'm far from a mechanic, but have had IFS vehicles all my life, and think I had a single torn CV boot on an '04 Accord years ago. Ran me some $100-200 to get it fixed at a local mechanic. Basically, it's a non event and not worth worrying about. Coming from Jeeps, I think you'll really like the improved handling, daily driving characteristics, creature comforts, etc. of the T4R. And it's still plenty capable on the trail (although not in the same league as a Rubicon by any stretch of the imagination).

It may be worthwhile to look around and see if you can find someone local to have a peek at the truck and give you some feedback. Ask on forums/facebook, or even pay a local mechanic to do a pre purchase inspection?

Thx for the input, really appreciate it.

Verified the rack is a gobi, has two sets of gobi and fourtrex awning mounts, the sliders and the bumper are sso. Not sure if that is a good brand or not, seems middle of the road price wise. Has a bag full of recovery gear (mixed warn, arb, etc) prob $300 worth that's brand new. Had the sales rep shoot me pics of the under carriage. I'd bet a grand this thing has never been off asphalt. The tires are 285/65/18 (look to be almost brand new) again not being a toyota guy i am unsure if these will have rubbing issues. Can always swap them if needed. Looks like they are a full size up over the oem size. Not crazy about the fake beadlock fuel wheels but im sure I can unload those quickly. The sliders, crossmember etc don't have so much as a scratch on them.

I've got some personal days to burn so put a hold on it and I'm going down tues to check it out. Personally feel for mild off-road work, road trips and pulling the trailer once in awhile it would do just fine.

Outside somewhere

The front bumper and sliders appear to be Southern Style Off-road SSO. I have the sliders and may get that bumper one day. Very Good stuff.

Thx for the input. They are indeed sso. I'm not a toyota guy so by all means school me. Any known issues with that brand or those sliders/bumper?

big44g

No issues that I know of. Those sliders were the first mod I made to my 4Runner. I liked the bump out on the sliders. they stick out a little more than other brands (for rocks) and I can stand on them and can get to my roof rack. If you go over to the 4Runner forum you will see that the bumper is popular for that style of bumper. I like it because it blends into stock bumper and weighs less than full armored bumper. They just came out with an aluminum version also.

Outside somewhere

I kinda like those red things...

Shackle overload. If I buy it those go in the "one day I'll put this in the for sale section" box then end up giving them to someone. The previous owner also painted the front trd skid plate bright red as well as the brake calipers :rolleyes:

Trikebubble

Adventurer

The bumper is for sure a SSO Slimline. I have purchased one for my Tundra (sitting in my garage waiting to install it) and is is most definitely a good quality well manufactured piece of kit.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Rack looks to me like a prinsu design or gobi rack. Hard to tell from upward angle shot. I would verify but both of those are great rack companies.

GL!

Outside somewhere

So far everything is sounding pretty good. Some decent products on it that you'd likely want to install yourself anyways.

Thanks. The only thing jumping out at me at this point is the wiring. It looks thrown together. I'm seeing a large positive lead from the winch and two smaller gauges of wire (lights?) all ran to the batt terminals. I would need to get that cleaned up right away and my dumb *** would probably justify a second batt tray since I'm under the hood anyway lol. Going down sat morn to give it a look.

Outside somewhere

Rack looks to me like a prinsu design or gobi rack. Hard to tell from upward angle shot. I would verify but both of those are great rack companies.

GL!

Thanks for the info. I confirmed it's a gobi, had the sales guy shoot me some other pics. Has the gobi logo on one of the foot mounts. From looking at their site I think it's the stealth multi light no sunroof.

Mako1114

Adventurer
Did you have to put a deposit down for the dealer to hold it for you? If not, i'd be amazed if they were actually withholding from selling it until you got there. I just spent two days driving 1,500 miles (highway) in the same year, color and trim 4Runner and it was a great vehicle. Very comfortable interior, plenty of power and 20mpg seemed reasonable for the size of the vehicle.

Cheers

Outside somewhere

Did you have to put a deposit down for the dealer to hold it for you? If not, i'd be amazed if they were actually withholding from selling it until you got there. I just spent two days driving 1,500 miles (highway) in the same year, color and trim 4Runner and it was a great vehicle. Very comfortable interior, plenty of power and 20mpg seemed reasonable for the size of the vehicle.

Cheers

Nice, that's good to hear. Hope its going to be a long term reliable vehicle. Will have a chance to put about 7-9k miles on it between May and October of this year. I've got a deposit down, trade numbers and vehicle price worked out. Going down sat morn. Want to verify the modifications (concerned the 285/65/18's were put on just for looks and don't have any room to cycle with the suspension) want to check for any weird leaks etc, take a quick spin and drop off the trade. Need to order a wiring kit for the brake controller, a new battery and cable/anderson connectors for the trailer connection next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles