Need some guidance...

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Need some feed back on this rig.
Thinking about trading my 1995 Cherokee for this... Am I crazy? What should I ask when I meet the guy, what should I look for? I think this rig will be better for family camping trips, safer, and just more civil. But what about reliably vs my 4.0?

1995 Land Rover Discovery 5-Speed Manual - $3800

You can see start to finish my jeep. 130K
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1046645

Too many miles?
Very rare 5-speed manual transmission 1995 Land Rover Discovery. Desirable Coniston Green paint, 3.9 litre V8, cold AC, power windows and locks. Old Man Emu (OME) suspension with ARB shocks and steering damper, 265/75R-16 BFG All-Terrains on steel Disco wheels, new clutch master cylinder, head gaskets, lower-end bearings, water pump, radiator, brakes. Good condition, although the rear bumper is dented and there are a couple of small dents on the body. The interior is nice, although the dashboard is warped from the heat. 186,000 miles. Asking $3800. Please call Keith at (480) 282-1768 or reply to the craigslist email address. Thanks.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2423103824.html
Last edited by DoMiNiC1; Yesterday at 11:46 PM.

Snagger

Explorer
R380s with that sort of mileage tend to crunch on changing up to second gear unless you pause very briefly (1/2 a second is enough) in neutral - mine has done this since I bought the vehicle with 100k on it. There are colour coordinated dash trim repair kits on the market which consist of two shaped strips of plastic which fit over the curling front edge of the dash top just behind the wind screen and screw down with self tapping screws. They metch the dash colour and look like a factory fit, so you won't have to worry about a tatty appearance.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
I think it's too expensive. The way the rear panels were trimmed is a major bummer. It looks like a kid did it with a reciprocating saw. You can obviously correct the saggy lift and rear bumper, but that hackjob would be a deal killer for me.

It is really too bad. The Coniston green / cloth seats / no sunroof combo is one of the nicest Discos to roll off the assembly line.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Thanks for the feed back, I may ask for some money on top...

Are the repairs listed most of the major things I would need to worry about?

Other then visual what problems could the rear hackjob cause?

What should I be looking at when I check it out/ listening for when driving...?

Last edited:

jhawk

Adventurer
$3,800 is steep. I bought a 95 auto in Dec. A one owner 104,000 mile truck with winch roof rack, etc. for $3000. Post this over on azlro.org. I bet there's someone willing to go over with you and look at the truck in person. Heck I may be.

Thanks,
Jim

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
3800 may be steep but I would be trading my Jeep for it and I may ask for cash in top... Jim if you could help me check it out that would be great, or even available be phone to answer question while I am there. I'm in Tempe (rural/southern).

So this the trade, was thinking around 1k on top of the trade... Due to the new parts...

Front lift is put up by 6.5" rustys coil, rustys high flex brake lines, and rustys radius arms and rancho stabilizer.
rear lift is 4.5 inch rustys leafs on 2 inch rustys shackles, the dana 35 has been ditched for a chrysler 8.25
Also running the JKS cross-over shock mount with 9" bilstien buggy shocks
the 242 was ripped out and replaced with a 231 with SYE, JKS adjustable track bar.

Body has some rust issues, holes behind front wheels.

052.jpg

051-1.jpg

065-1.jpg

057-1.jpg

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
You should at least go test drive it. Conniston green is my second favorite color on a DI (Not many were made - and even fewer with Conniston Green and 5 speed). (of course, I'm partial to white).
You'll find the 5 speed peppy to drive and great gas mileage compared to the automatic DI.
D

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Thanks jhawk! As I research these trucks I keep seeing the same thing. Great trucks with bad build quality with regards to details, i.e. electronics and accessories. If I do this my approach will be to keep it as simple as possible by removing all that is not necessary. Please forgive me but I am a nub to these trucks, this is a solid front and rear axle truck with coils on all four corners right? How strong are these axles? Do they lock? are they selectable F/R? Sorry for all the questions, just want a crash course on what these things are all about.:coffee:

edit: One other thing, what would it take to level the lift?

Last edited:

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Bumb... going to meet guy tomorrow? Any last bits of advise before I go investagate this thing or some ansewrs to my questions in my last post?

LtFuzz

Explorer
Thanks jhawk! As I research these trucks I keep seeing the same thing. Great trucks with bad build quality with regards to details, i.e. electronics and accessories. If I do this my approach will be to keep it as simple as possible by removing all that is not necessary. Please forgive me but I am a nub to these trucks, this is a solid front and rear axle truck with coils on all four corners right? How strong are these axles? Do they lock? are they selectable F/R? Sorry for all the questions, just want a crash course on what these things are all about.:coffee:

edit: One other thing, what would it take to level the lift?

I'm no expert, but I know the basics:

Coils at all four, solid axles F/R (Dana 44 equivalent-ish), they don't lock, but there is a CDL and lockers are easily available. Huge aftermarket for Discos.

The R380 handles my 6.2L diesel motor just fine.

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
You should at least go test drive it. Conniston green is my second favorite color on a DI (Not many were made - and even fewer with Conniston Green and 5 speed). (of course, I'm partial to white).
You'll find the 5 speed peppy to drive and great gas mileage compared to the automatic DI.
D

I have noticed no gas mileage difference between and automatic discovery and a 5spd discovery.

My personal opinion about this truck is wait for a cleaner one with that chopped up rear quarter panel and the 5spd trucks offer no real advantage offroad except pissing you off as the day goes by.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Wow thanks for all the info! I talked with the guy, he is older and had 5 other LR's he said he has 6500 worth of recipts for all the things he has fixed over the past 15k miles. Says he would jump in it and drive to CA with no worries. He built it for his son and now his son wants something different. Sounds good but a drive will let me know more. Thansk again for all the feed back!

Harmgrissom

Observer
man - you're thinking of trading Black Betty? woof.

IDK brother - thats a sweet ride. I just wish I had the cash to take it off your hands straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles