Need some Gen 3 Montero Tire Advice

pwjazz

I'm about to close on a 2006 Gen 3 with a 1.5" Ironman lift, and I'm starting to plan out my build. It's going to need new tires, so that's first up on the list.

I'm planning to daily drive the thing and use it on local Kansas trails on the weekends, with occasional longer trips to the Ozarks and Colorado rockies. Kansas gets snow in the winter, but it's not constant, so I'm hoping to avoid switching to winter tires. That means I'm looking for something that'll do well in a variety of conditions both on and off road. Also, I'm sensitive about payload and unsprung weight, as well as wear on suspension components. I'm also planning on sticking with the stock 17" wheels that came on the later Limiteds.

That leaves me pretty much looking at passenger load rated all terrain tires. After a bunch of research, I've narrowed it down to two choices and could use ya'lls feedback on the decision.

General Grabber ATX 265/70R17 - Gives me a 0.5" inch more ground clearance than stock, will definitely fit, and seems to be a really well regarded all-around AT tire. Unlike it's LT siblings, it doesn't weigh too much.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S 285/70R17 - Gives me another 0.5" ground clearance, a bigger contact patch, and even weighs a hair less than the General Grabber. On the downside, the side biters are much less aggressive/robust, and the overall performance reviews are less impressive than the General Grabber. Being even taller, it maybe starts to get into the territory where I'd want to consider a 4.9 diff swap. It's also on the edge of what's recommended for fitment on the stock 7.5" width wheels (not sure if that's an issue or not?). Plus, it may rub a bit(?) when the suspension is fully compressed.

So, the decision comes down to excellent smaller tire vs okayish larger tire. I'm leaning towards the General Grabbers, at least until I get more experience under my belt with the vehicle. Thoughts?

plh

Explorer
BFG TA A/T KO2 LT285/70R17. Need the lift and still will need the front inner fender (plastic) trimmed for clearance on stock wheels. I have no experience with General ATX or Cooper AT3 but this chassis is very picky about tire choice and noise. BFG KO2 were acceptable to me from a noise perspective. Falken Wildpeaks (AT) were very loud. Are you going with Koni Reds? I wouldn't go with a P-metric tire for anything you plan to offroad even on trails.

pwjazz

BFG TA A/T KO2 LT285/70R17

The C load range version of that tire was something that has crossed my mind, as it's much lighter than most LT tires. Are you running that one or the E range one?

I wouldn't go with a P-metric tire for anything you plan to offroad even on trails

I've gotten conflicting messages on this. Puncture resistance seems to be up in the air, the softer P rated tires are said to mold around rocks and such better, but the LT tires are said to tolerate lower pressures better without debeading. What's your thought?

plh

Explorer
The C load range version of that tire was something that has crossed my mind, as it's much lighter than most LT tires. Are you running that one or the E range one?

I've gotten conflicting messages on this. Puncture resistance seems to be up in the air, the softer P rated tires are said to mold around rocks and such better, but the LT tires are said to tolerate lower pressures better without debeading. What's your thought?

I no longer own a Gen 3, but after 12 years and over 120K miles... as well as several tire sets on it previously, I'd stick to the E rated LT. Last set (and my favorites) were LT285/75R16 KO2 on anniversary wheels. P-metric are made for the streets.

Some history of mine:

Came with when I bought it - 265/65R17 Bridgestone Dueler HT
shortly after purchase I put on LT265/75R17 Falken Wild Peak A/T - from day 1 very loud - but was heading into winter - very excellent winter traction
7 months later I came upon a set of used great condition 265/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler HT on Toyota steelies - I wanted the steelies for another project, so these tires became the Montero summer tires.
By the time the Falkens got to 30k =/- miles they were unbearably loud and I swapped to LT235/85R16 KOs on 2001 wheels, great traction and quiet, but made the Montero handle terrible on the highway, ran them a few years. Next up were LT285/75R16 KO2 on anniversary wheels at this time I added the OME medium springs - best riding, glued to road and quiet. These tires were sold with the truck in late 2021 with upwards of 50K miles and still had excellent tread and handling characteristics. One key is to rotate tires front to back every 6K miles, for me that was every other oil change.

Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Between those 2, I would choose the Cooper AT3.

However, I have put the Toyo Open Country AT2 on everything with 4WD in my family. I've had a set on my 05 for 50k miles and plan to get the new Toyo Open Country AT3 as their replacements.

I only run 265/70R17 so I can't speak to larger sizes, but there was a hum on smooth roads. Not as bad as the Goodyear Wranglers.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I am currently running P rated tires. I've had 1 puncture during normal driving, but that was last year on a tire that was wearing uneven towards the inside (Need new springs/struts). I plugged it and it has been fine. That section of the tire was almost bald so it went to the rear door. Road handling has been good, offroad performance is great. I never had a puncture from rocks or other offroad obstacles, including a large oak tree. I believe my puncture was from the many railroad tracks on my way to work.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
If your rig is going to see off highway driving, going with an LT is a more reliable option IMHO.
As others have said, P-rated tires are for highway driving.

A 265/75/16 LT is a good compromise on weight and durability.

I'll only run LT's (3-ply sidewall) on the Montero after witnessing many puncture issues on rigs throughout the years. ...got lucky on one trip when my brother blew a tire, then his spare...thankfully there was another Toyota on the trip with the same lug pattern and size tire.

Cheers

plh

Explorer
Being tire prices have really shot up like everything else, you just need to ask yourself if an LT "E" (KO2 @$258) is monetarily worth $50 per corner more than a "P" (AT/X @$204).

Last edited:

pwjazz

Now I'm looking at LT255/80R17's. Narrower section width saves some weight, and this gives me a true 33...

pwjazz

Since the Grabber ATX is available in both SL and E load ranges, and both have 2 ply sidewalls, I decided to ask General Grabber for advice.

Here's what I asked:

I'm looking at your ATX tire for use on a 2006 Mitsubishi Montero SUV. I understand that the ATX uses 2 ply construction in both the SL and the E load ranges. I don't need the E range capacity for load carrying, but I do intend to off road these tires. Aside from the slightly thicker tread depth, are the sidewalls on the E version of the tire going to be any more puncture resistant than the SL, or should I be fine with the SL range tire?

And here's what they said

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at General Tire. There will not be a significant difference in durability between the SL and LT tires. We recommend selecting the SL version.

Between that, ya'lls advice and this thread, I think I have my answer! Lived experience will surely teach me more, but this seems like a reasonable starting point.

Cheers!

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
General makes some decent tires. One of my kids has the Grabber A/TX (C-load) on her pickup and I've got the the A/T3 (C-load) on my Geo Tracker.
No complaints

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier