Need portable power for my CPAP machine

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Found this:
https://www.cpapoutlet.ca/Product/R...ense™-10-and-AirCurve™-10-Machines-37297/1804

Description:
The ResMed DC Converter 24 V 90W for the Air 10 series machines powers the ResMed AirSense™ and AirCurve™ units. Use the DC Converter when away from home or when there is a power outage. This DC power converter powers both the unit and the humidifier so there is no need to turn off your humidification. Take your ResMed unit with you on a boat, in the car, or any place with DC power capability.

john61ct

Adventurer
On your way!

Replace the ciggie port - very unreliable - with a better connector type. I prefer to standardize on Anderson PowerPole, in this case the 15A size is plenty.

Hey everyone,

I need some suggestions for a portable power source to power my CPAP machine.
(It's a breathing machine because I have sleep apnea.)
I need something that is battery powered because I'll be camping in parks that don't allow generators to run at night, and obviously my CPAP runs at night...
Last weekend I thought this would be a good solution so I bought this thing:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-powerbox-1600-0112014p.html

But... It only powered my CPAP for about 3.5 hours and then there was no juice left in the powerbox. I need something that can supply about 7 hours of power.

I also won't have regular access to 120V electricity to charge up this portable power unit, but I could charge it in my vehicle driving around during the day.

So any ideas out there?
The DME company that supplied you the CPAP machine should be able to provide a Battery Powered AC Source also. Unfortunately, because it will be considered medical equipment, it is going to be rather expensive so I hope you have medical insurance that would cover it.

Another avenue would be the UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) boxes that you can get from office supply stores or online. Their primary purpose is to provide backup power to computers in the event of a blackout. They switch over from AC within milliseconds of a power failure. They come in a variety of sizes that should fit your needs well. Their price will be much more reasonable.

You will want to keep your CPAP machine plugged into the UPS Outlet. Then keep the UPS plugged into your generator. The UPS will be self charging (no intervention required) off your generator or any AC source when that's available and then can provide stable power all night while your generator is off. I hope that helps.

Regards,
RestorationRides

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Another avenue would be the UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) boxes that you can get from office supply stores or online. Their primary purpose is to provide backup power to computers in the ev
Be careful if choosing a UPS. Many dont produce sinewave.
Verify if thats acceptable with your medical appliance.
Actually, I think most of them do a pretty good job of creating sinusoidal wave forms. Additionally, COMPUTERS and CPAP machines both use EXTERNAL regulated power supplies, so both have simular AC source requirements and limitations. What's good for one should be good for the other as far as I can see...

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
I use a CPAP and have struggled with lack of sleep on camping and hunting trips. I can do without the CPAP for about 2 days before the lack of a good nights sleep starts to take its toll. I finally decided to look into what it takes to power my CPAP.

The power supply says it draws 7 amps at 12 VDC. So, if I sleep for 8 hours, I need a power source that can supply 56 amp hours of current at 12 VDC.

I purchased a battery from a wrecking yard for $35. It is rated at 110 amp hours (1 amp for 110 hours or 7 amps for 15.17 hours. ***perfect world numbers).

My CPAP uses a transformer in the power cord to convert the AC from a wall outlet into the 12 VDC needed. I have not been able to find another plug to fit my CPAP which would allow me to connect the CPAP directly to the battery. My temporary setup was to purchase a small invertor from Harbor Freight to connect to the battery so I can plug the CPAP into the AC output of the invertor.

This worked fine except the noise from the cooling fan on the invertor was annoying.

The CPAP ran all night for about 8 hours and I slept fine. I have not plugged the battery into my charger to see how low it is.

Hope this helps,

Vince

john61ct

Adventurer
The batts I mentioned in #5 are the way to go if at all possible.

A UPS would be wasteful and unnecessary in a mobile DC context, they are for AC appliances.

Steve_P

The Resmed machines, I use an S9, actually run on 24 volts DC, so using the inverter your switching from DC to AC and back to DC, losing at least 20% of your available power supply. Resmed makes a 12 volt DC power supply that simply steps up to 24 volt, much more efficient. Available through most on line suppliers, like cpap.com, without prescription.

john61ct

Adventurer
If you need a robust bank, just run 4s GC batts, House circuit at native 24V.

Very common on bigger rigs, very easy (cheaper and more efficient) to step down to 12V (buck converter) when needed rather than going the other way.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got the same machine as the OP as of two weeks ago and yep, it's 24v and you need one of Resmed's cables, not a generic, as it requires a "handshake" to operate. Resmed is very proud (overly so I'd say) of their stuff and they don't play well with other manufacturers. I've been researching the same issue and from what I can gather, the best option, though certainly not least expensive or convenient, is probably going to be a battery and DC adapter. Freedom Travel battery and Resmed DC converter The issue is going to be recharging the thing since you're going to need to drive, run a generator for hours or have solar. I tried to get a 12v travel size and my insurance company basically told me unless I was actve duty military I was out of luck- even though they were about the same price. Go figure.

This is an informative thread I found while doing my research as well: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Resmed-Airsense-10-Auto-24-volts-Straight Tons of info on that site.

Lance is very right though- losing weight is not only the best option for better overall health and sleep, it' also cheaper than these dang CPAPs.

john61ct

Adventurer
Sorry that battery is a joke for daily usage, not even 1/20th the capacity, likely a fifth the lifespan, and more expensive to boot.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
You really can't go wrong with a pair (or two) of GC2 batteries. Duracell brand from sams club? Cheap and durable. Just get a good shore power charger with proper float and absorb voltages to recharge when back home. One set will net you 150ah usable at 12VDC. (80% DOD). Should be good for 2-3 nights.

fitt

I used my Resimed Air sSense 10 for our 8 week Alaska trip in our popup truck camper. I used the Resimed 12 volt adapter with 1 group 31 battery in the camper. The cigarette plug is the weak link, like stated above replace it with a good 20 amp 2 ploe plug and you'll have no issues. Also I did a 150 amp concontinous duty relay and #2 awg charge line with a hd power plug in the box to charge the camper batt whenever the truck was running, this worked great. only had to start the truck 2 times in 8 weeks to charge battery when we were parked for more than 2 days running MaxAir fan and lights and my cpap every night!

TWIH

Try reading Amazon reviews on the “portable lithium-ion solar generators” around 400 watts. They are very light (less than 10 lbs) , can be recharged via solar, a/c or your vehicle d/c ports. They vary in cost but are usually under $1 a watt. All are Chinese made and if you look at the images they seem to be coming from just 1 or 2 factories and just getting re-branded.
There’s too many reviews from CPAP users that say they work to have all been faked.
Using the humidifier certainly drains any battery faster however they still seem to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles