Need portable power for my CPAP machine

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Hey everyone,

I need some suggestions for a portable power source to power my CPAP machine.
(It's a breathing machine because I have sleep apnea.)
I need something that is battery powered because I'll be camping in parks that don't allow generators to run at night, and obviously my CPAP runs at night...
Last weekend I thought this would be a good solution so I bought this thing:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-powerbox-1600-0112014p.html

But... It only powered my CPAP for about 3.5 hours and then there was no juice left in the powerbox. I need something that can supply about 7 hours of power.

I also won't have regular access to 120V electricity to charge up this portable power unit, but I could charge it in my vehicle driving around during the day.

So any ideas out there?

bearman512

Adventurer
That jump pack is not going to work. You need to figure out what the amp draw is of the CPAP and my guess is you will need at least 50 amp hours usable and a 500 watt inverter. Not a good way to do it. Check out the folks in the popup portal as there are many folks there that boondock and use a CPAP, most have at least a group 27 battery and a 45-100w solar system to recharge daily. You can go to cpap.com or someplace in CAN and purchase a 12v adapter which would work much better than any inverter setup.

Jeffer949

Observer
Im pretty sure my dad has a battery operated one. Id search that option first. If his isn't a battery operated one I know its at least 12v as he uses it in his camper without the generator running. Depending on insurance they may cover it for you also

bearman512

Adventurer
The batteries don't last long so I'm told by some of my camping buds and would still need at least a group 27 to power it with the 12v adapter pack.

john61ct

Adventurer
Cheap but good quality deep-cycle bank

like a pair of Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club

Make sure you don't run them too low (not likely) and get them back to 100% Full at least a few times per week, takes maybe 4-6 hours with large enough current source.

Can last 6-8 years or more.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So please don't get crazy angry at my comments....please
I work as an ICU RN and the majority of people who need a CPAP machine are overweight. Not saying you are and there are skinny people who have a very relaxed airway and need CPAP, however if you can honestly say you need to lose a few pounds then do that instead of looking for portable power.
I also had to look hard at myself due to my snoring issues...and at 200lbs I didn't consider myself fat, however I do have excess tissue around my neck and so before I go looking outside I have started June 1st to work on the inside.
Of course you will realize huge other benefits from getting in better shape that will let you enjoy the outdoors much more.
Again I am not trying to piss anyone off, just telling you what I see and have learned from talking to many many doctors and years working ICU.

bearman512

Adventurer
OKAY 1leglance you have just solved the longterm how about advice on the current issue? Good advice though!

john61ct

Adventurer
IMO bordering on inappropriate, certainly very condescending.

Those who are overweight are constantly reminded they "should" lose weight.

Easier said than done.

Even if possible, takes time.

Meantime the device needs powering off-grid, which is the topic.

Sheeeesh.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I too use a CPAP. I have a Philips. I use a Goal Zero Yeti 400. It is not the lithium model. I can get 16-18 hours of use before needing to be charged. I do not use the heater on the humidifier chamber as that draws to much power. I do fill the humidifier chamber with distilled water and it delivers a limited amount of humidity. I can charge the Yeti using a 12volt DC cord, solar panel or direct 110v wall charge. This gives a lot of options. The Goal Zero delivers pure sine wave energy so it won’t damage the CPAP circuitry or computer.
I would not go camping without my CPAP. I have tried and lost a lot of sleep. Better sleep-better trip.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I am overweight, now.
But I have had sleep apnea since I was quite young, and quite skinny. The weight gain certainly hasn't helped, but even if I was my old skinny self, I would still snore very loudly, and would stop breathing multiple times per hour. (Last sleep evaluation 10 years ago was in the 40-60 times per hour.)

Anyways, back to the more immediate issue - battery power for my CPAP machine.
I'm more than a little reluctant to hook it up directly to a battery and bypass the inverter. How safe is it? I was thinking the inverter would add a level of prevention to an overload due to too much power going to the CPAP.
The machine costs about 2 grand, and my insurance only covers a new one every 4 years or so. (I'm into year 3 on this one.)

I was thinking about mounting a couple deep cycle batteries in my Jeep, with an inverter in there and just run a long extension cord to my tent.
I've already got a good sized inverter mounted in the cargo area of the Jeep and I was thinking about disconnected it from the vehicle battery, and connecting it to the two new batteries I would get.

The CPAP suppliers do sell a specialized battery for these devices, but it's single use and can't use it to power anything else. And they are about $450.

This is the machine I use for reference:
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/products/devices/airsense-10-autoset.html

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Oh also, that specialized battery they sell, it doesn't have a very high capacity.
To get more than a single night from it, you have to turn off the humidifier on the CPAP. Without that feature I wake up several times a night from dry mouth, so it won't work for me.
With the humidifier on, I would only get 4, or maybe 5 hours of run time from a single charge.

john61ct

Adventurer
I have a Philips. I use a Goal Zero Yeti 400. It is not the lithium model.
Grossly overpriced IMO, certainly compared to a pair (33 AH compared to 200+)

or even three pair of GCs.

Especially since it is unlikely to last even 2 years if deeply cycled that frequently (NMC not LFP)

But since you already have it, you'll get longer use by running it off DC rather than the inverter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94