Need Opinions on New Rig

Amplyfied

Hello all. Been cruising the forums here for quite a while and finally signed up in order to post a question. So here's the deal... my family and I love traveling, the outdoors, and camping. We consist of two adults, three children, and two dogs. We're currently towing a 25' Airstream, which we enjoy, but are looking to change. As we are not enjoying staying in campgrounds as much as we thought we would and enjoy more of the off the beaten path locations, we need a couple things. Specifically, we need some minor off road capabilities with the room for 5. To be honest, our current trailer is tight as is, and we've tried brining the tent along as well, but everyone wants to sleep in the trailer. We're considering a truck with a popup camper plus a trailer, but not sure on which models. I'm having more difficulty narrowing down a decent off road capable trailer than a good popup. Ideally, we'd like something like the Earthroamer or Tiger Siberian, but it's just not practical for us at this time. So, if you have suggestions, let me know. Some of the requirements are dictated by the wife :)
- Offroad capabilities (not hardcore, but decent)
- Ability to sleep 5 comfortably... need comfortable beds!
- Toilet and shower
- Heat and AC
- Durability and longevity

Thanks in advance for the input!

aausmana

Adventurer
There are many options out there that could fit from a Sportsmobile either the Sprinter or they have some decent used ones that are pretty outfitted depending on your location. You could also build a Tundra or Tacoma up with a flip-up or Tacoma Habitat. Personally if I was in your situation I would build out a Van or truck with a small tow-behind off-road capable trailer for an additional RTT. The other good option would be to build a truck or Land Cruiser up with a RTT and an awning which has awning walls that you could use as an additional enclosed sleeping environment. This would most likely be you cost-effective path (though still expensive if doing it right) which would enable you to consume the smallest footprint while traveling allowing you to go much further off the beaten path and explore. It all depends on what you really want and how in-depth you want to go, whether purchasing pre-built, or building something yourself.

Best of luck to you - sounds like you will be having a lot of fun!

Darwin

Explorer
There are many options out there that could fit from a Sportsmobile either the Sprinter or they have some decent used ones that are pretty outfitted depending on your location. You could also build a Tundra or Tacoma up with a flip-up or Tacoma Habitat. Personally if I was in your situation I would build out a Van or truck with a small tow-behind off-road capable trailer for an additional RTT. The other good option would be to build a truck or Land Cruiser up with a RTT and an awning which has awning walls that you could use as an additional enclosed sleeping environment. This would most likely be you cost-effective path (though still expensive if doing it right) which would enable you to consume the smallest footprint while traveling allowing you to go much further off the beaten path and explore. It all depends on what you really want and how in-depth you want to go, whether purchasing pre-built, or building something yourself.
The problem with those options is they don't address the original posters requirements, specifically the ability to sleep 5, and toilet and shower. He mentioned that even a 25 ft. travel trailer is "tight"

To the OP, I think you are going to have to make some sacrifices and the prices you would be looking at for a truck, trailer plus pop up camper almost puts you in Tiger or Earthroamer territory.

aausmana

Adventurer
The problem with those options is they don't address the original posters requirements, specifically the ability to sleep 5, and toilet and shower. He mentioned that even a 25 ft. travel trailer is "tight"

To the OP, I think you are going to have to make some sacrifices and the prices you would be looking at for a truck, trailer plus pop up camper almost puts you in Tiger or Earthroamer territory.

How so? I have two dogs and have built my rig to be able to fit the dogs, as well as camp 4-5 people with gear and a 90L fridge in the back. With 2-3 in the RTT comfortably especially if one is a child, and some good ground set-ups (Exped mat with bags) you have the capability to have an additional 2-3 people in a wrap-around awning + dogs on dog beds. The other option is to tow a off-road trailer with another RTT on it. IMO RTT's are pretty darn comfortable. Some sacrifices could be made for AC but then you have fans for ventilation in the evening or even a propane heater which would be quite toasty for cold weather outings.

If everyone needs to be in an enclosed camper with beds for each, that has heat and AC, then that is a completely different story... if this is an absolute. Either way, to build/purchase what Amplyfied wants, you are right... you are in the price of an earthroamer. The other options are doable. Just depends what is top on their priority list.

aausmana

Adventurer
Teardrop or other trailer + SUV or Truck

Just wanted to expand a bit on my thoughts here. Amplyfied could have a set-up using a teardrop trail which has a builtin kitchen and some storage, purchase a used 100 series, 200 series, a tundra or tacoma, a jeep or other vehicle depending on budget and function being sought, put a drawer system in the trunk comfortably seat 5 with the dogs in the back on-top of the drawer system and either have an additional RTT on the teardrop or the roof rack of the SUV/Truck and have plenty of room for the whole family. Some pictures below for different setups...there are many ways to accomplish what you're after.

2-DSC_0816.jpg

2ed1597d582e09d6902f1e9a76f3868f.jpg

131_1211_08+trail_hotel_buyers_guide+so_cal_tear_drop_trailer.jpg

1901321_727308480622839_544863914_n.jpg

rooftop-tent-jeep.jpg

Maninga

Adventurer
It'll sleep 4 by default, but I'd be chatting to the Kimberley Karavan guys to see if they can add an extra bed in one. Fits the other criteria

http://www.kimberleykaravans.com/

They've exported a few to the US before and with the currency difference makes it more affordable (not so for us who're bringing stuff to Aus from the US).

Amplyfied

Thanks all for the replies so far. I hadn't thought about a trailer with an RTT... that's quite clever. To some of the other points, I start coming up on Tiger territory pretty quickly with some options, but thinks I'm a bit off from Earthroamer prices still, unless I'm mistaken they seem quite a bit more expensive.

Darwin

Explorer
I think for up to a week long outing just about anything can be made to work. RTT would a "live beside" type of experience vs. a large truck camper or airstream "live in"

Another option to consider if you need a bathroom and sleeping for 5 'inside' would be a large dually truck (they are 4x4) and a large slide in camper. Or go custom on a Ram 5500 like what expo member Healyjet did.

aausmana

Adventurer
I agree with Darwin. It really does simply depend on what your needs ultimately are. There are many options out there. The options I lean most toward are ones that can really take you anywhere, but they are live-beside as Darwin mentions. The convenience of live-in is phenomenal, though you are limited in width to where you really could go. The same would be true with an earth roamer or unimog. Exploring the world mainly on paved roads and fire roads with the occasional trail, absolutely. Being able to do slip rock or rubicon, more limited by width and setup capabilities. Whatever you do, I'd be interested in a build thread if you're up for it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amplyfied

Thanks again for the thoughts. I'd really like to build something, but the time and space are the biggest factors for me... something to dream about though :). If I were to build something I'd go for a something like a Kimberly caravan principle, but a bit more basic. At least something to noodle on.

Lynnrb

Observer
I see a lot of large 5th wheel trailer pulled in remote places here in the west. The trailers are setup with soa, the trucks are 4x4 crew cabs. Going beyond this is big money. Take the trailer as far as you dare. Then the truck is used for the rough stuff. I find going a few miles off the paved roads gets you away from 99% of the world.

sourdough

Adventurer
I see a lot of large 5th wheel trailer pulled in remote places here in the west. The trailers are setup with soa, the trucks are 4x4 crew cabs. Going beyond this is big money. Take the trailer as far as you dare. Then the truck is used for the rough stuff. I find going a few miles off the paved roads gets you away from 99% of the world.
My thoughts too. Check out OLiver trailers. Not for off-roading but you can get it off the pavement. I'm just about ready to order a Elite II, 19' by 7' body about the same as my Tundra. With !8" ground clearance, nothing hanging under the frame, it's about as good as it gets.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
are you looking to buy only or able to build up to what you are looking for.
what is the actual age/demographics of the 5 peoples? 2 adults 3 kids? teenagers or juveniles and infants? boys/girls etc..
vanagon campers often travel in families of 4-5 people. though you better like and accommodate each other. and if you have the means there's a Syncro AWD option.

you can take a full size Chevy Express (AWD) and add a RTT or my preference is a old VW westfalia style top
that'd give you standing room, a bottom bed for 2 an upper bed for 2 and then a cot bed across the front seats for a small one.

add a swivel to the front seats for foul weather flexibility and I'd make the middle seats slide in tracks (like a vanagon passenger van hint,)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haN26wfLcA

DIY versions are done with rope & PVC toggles outside shut thru the door seals.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...ved=0ahUKEwiDjOr7tqXLAhUGFR4KHeChBFYQ_AUIBygC
here's a DIY front childs cot http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4636939#4636939

if you can't DIY and have to buy only, then I fear for your wallet
937acf7f75e261faa0880244970bfa1a.jpg

Amplyfied

Thanks all for the replies. I didn't know about the Oliver trailers. I quite like what I see there. Could do a heavy duty truck, light popup camper, and the Oliver... might be a great fit! Still pondering a build, but don't have the space, more than anything, right now.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Keep an eye out for a 4wd class-C motorhome. I know there's a forum member here using one, but can't remember the screen name. Or find your favorite motorhome and then sent it over to ujointoffroad.com for a conversion!

372_Richards1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94