Need new shocks - AEV 2.5" DS lift - your thoughts?

jfaz

I had the same 2.5" AEV kit, then upgraded the shocks to the 3.3s, then upgraded the springs to EVO MFG plush ride 3".

I'd be interested in hearing how much more height you gained with the evo coils, did it eliminate the rack that most AEVs running heavy fronts have? Could you share a pic? thanks!

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well today out of complete boredom I removed the rear shocks just to see how they are. They were installed at 19k miles currently have 91k and the shocks are solid. My 160lbs could hardly compress them ended up jacking the the jeep up so they would slip back into place. They certainly have some miles on them and the Jeep does have a little bit of bounce but I think they are fine. Currently running a Pronghorn Front aluminum bumper and soon to be Pronghorn aluminum rear if they ever get it to production. The front bumper went on maybe 4 months ago, prior to that it was a steel bumper with winch and steel cable.

AnchorMTN

I'd be interested in hearing how much more height you gained with the evo coils, did it eliminate the rack that most AEVs running heavy fronts have? Could you share a pic? thanks!

I had a 0.5" spacer in the front with my AEV springs to help with the rake.... it drove me nuts. I removed that when I put on the EVO springs and got roughly an inch more lift the day I put it on all the way around plus it sits level now. I never went back and re-measured for any settling but I bet all said and done it was 3/4" of lift. The way its set up now, its amazingly smooth and controlled. Pretty simple suspension and it does everything I ask of it.
20171015_154458.jpg
20180401_191607.jpg
20180401_185947.jpg

EVO MFG. 3" plush ride coils F/R
Falcon 3.3 Series shocks(2-3" lift) F/R

jfaz

Thanks for the information about the 3" Evo springs. The rake also drives me nuts and I haven't even added a winch yet, which will even further produce front sag on my AEV set-up. I'll be considering these springs when I decide to tackle this. Your rig looks great! Nice Instagram too!

tpreston

I am also looking at replacing the shocks on my AEV 2.5” lift. I have been happy with the Bilsteins. Aren’t they specially tuned to AEV specs? I didn’t think they were the same as off the shelf 5100’s.

JARunning

I have been extremely pleased with the Falcon 3.3's on my jk (with Ursa Minor j30, rear rack and side awning, so relatively similarly weighted).
Wouldn't hesitate to go that way again. The adjustability is a nice-to-have feature, but daily driving is almost always on the middle setting, which seems to be effectively what the Falcon series 2 or 3.1 would get you.

HKLover

I have a Metalcloak 2.5" Overland Elite w/Rocksport shocks on my JKUHR and the ride and handling is by far much better than what it was from the factory. The Rocksport shocks are definitely firm but not spine crushing harsh over bumps. My Jeep is weighted down pretty good though.

I have the factory Hard Rock bumpers, Smittybilt X20 10k winch on the front with a Maximus-3 Stinger. I also have the Maximus-3 72" roof rack and their spare tire carrier with a hi lift jack and high double mount rotopax mount. I also have the Metalcloak Undercloak skid plate system and their exoskins and the rock sliders with the flip step. I also have a Adventure Trailer interior cargo rack and an ARB 50 fridge on a Tembo Tusk fridge slide in the back.

It doesn't sway or "wash" across the road at highway speeds. None of the floaty feeling either. I have had it on logging and gas well trails in the mountains of W.V. and Pa. many times and at high speeds on washboard roads and it handles those with no problems.

I will probably just get another set of Rocksports again whenever these decide to give out. Very happy with them.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had both the AEV 2.5 and 3.5 and I know the owner of the company and the billys are in fact tuned to the coils. That said I now run Falcon 3.1's and they are very nice shocks. Some people worry about drilling the lower rear mount but it is no big deal and certainly not irreversible. they are spendy but once you experience them you forget about the price.

autism family travels

I have had both the AEV 2.5 and 3.5 and I know the owner of the company and the billys are in fact tuned to the coils. That said I now run Falcon 3.1's and they are very nice shocks. Some people worry about drilling the lower rear mount but it is no big deal and certainly not irreversible. they are spendy but once you experience them you forget about the price.

I thought they were, but could not say for certain. Again, that said, the falcons are a huge upgrade!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles