Need new Backpack

jgaz

Adventurer
Yes, that's my only experience with packs. I'll take a 2-3lbs pack over one that's 2-3x that. It's very rare I see an external frame out hiking.

Agreed, you don’t see many external frames anymore.
I sure did like like the side pockets when it came to organization.

GB_Willys_2014

To my knowledge, the advantage once offered by external frame packs (compared to internal frame) of heavy weight comfort and control is no longer the case.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I’m wondering if we are still talking about hiking or hunting. Because (many of) the reasons for an external frame pack still hold true in the latter.

For example, the deer I posted a picture of resulted in a ~140 pound pack which even my largest Gregory expedition pack would have had trouble handling.

If we are talking about going in light and coming out heavy, the external frame pack still draws a lot of water.

That’s not to say there aren’t some companies coming around with internal frame packs suitable for great hunting like those mentioned above. But there is a reason Barney’s is still the king for hunting pack duty.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
So I don't hunt.
I'll caveat with that as a lead off; I don't hunt since I'm now at >20 years in the Marine Corps, starting out in the Scout Sniper world and then going from there...thus I do kinda hunt I suppose, but that sounds cliche.

I also end up hauling around way too much stuff on my back, or at least I did back when I didn't age myself into desk jobs.

Thus load bearing stuff was a place I sank $ into, and to get this to a real point-take a look at Kifaru (http://kifaru.net/) I've got one of their packs that I took all over Afghanistan without it flinching. The rest of their gear is superb too (love their pockets and such).
r-
Ray

NomadQ

From a hiking standpoint, I love Osprey packs. I sweat a lot, and Osprey keeps the pack off and allows for plenty of breathing. The belts also fits me, which is a plus. I've hiked 7+mi with it loaded 55#, so it can take weight. I have Atmos 65 and Talon 22; my wife has the women's versions of mine.

Osprey, Gregory, and Deuter are the best packs for keeping the pack off the back, allowing ventilation.

+1 for Deuter. Super well balanced and breathable. Check out the Freerider Pro 30, the exterior pockets may fit your scope/tripod needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior