Need Jerry can mounting help.

slooowr6

Explorer
The original post is deep in my mod thread post it here hope I can get more suggestion.

Need to help from ExPo crew, I'm going to add CO2, Hi-Lift and a Jerry can on the back of the camper. A setup like what Turtle Exp did on their weekender.
13WW_FWCrear.jpg

Hi-Lift will go where the axe is.
I'm wondering what Jerry can holder option do I have? The ones I'm aware are:
AT:
1_yellowjeep.jpg

Northerntool:
19561_lg.gif

Expeditionware:
DSC06537340.jpg

Only the one from Northerntool can be mounted on the side. Is there any other option out there the can be mouted from the side of the holder?

Thanks!
Alex

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Ive looked at several. Honestly the ONLY one built tough enough for what we do is the AT. No sharp edges, heavy guage, and I like the fact that they are stackable. IMHO of course.

slooowr6

Explorer
Colorado Ron said:
Ive looked at several. Honestly the ONLY one built tough enough for what we do is the AT. No sharp edges, heavy guage, and I like the fact that they are stackable. IMHO of course.

Can the AT be mounted on the side without support on the bottom? I don't want to put the Jerry can on top of the camper. It's not easy to climb up there and with 50lbs of gas in hand I don't think I can get down safely. Wife is only 100lbs so ask her to catch the can below is not an option.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions

slooowr6

Explorer
ATs are nice, looks like they can hold the can pretty securely. The weight is the only draw back I can see, at 19# it must built like a tank. My Taco with camper is already above GVWR, so I hope to keep the weight on any add-on as minimum as possible.
Keep the suggestion coming! :ylsmoke:

flyingwil

slooowr6 said:
ATs are nice, looks like they can hold the can pretty securely. The weight is the only draw back I can see, at 19# it must built like a tank. My Taco with camper is already above GVWR, so I hope to keep the weight on any add-on as minimum as possible.
Keep the suggestion coming! :ylsmoke:

How secure do you want them to be? Lockable?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I echo the thoughts about the AT design and quality. It's a great choice.

Steer clear away from the Northern tool version. Not nearly as stable and really tough to work with in frozen weather (plastic cams freeze).

slooowr6

Explorer
mountainpete said:
I echo the thoughts about the AT design and quality. It's a great choice.

Steer clear away from the Northern tool version. Not nearly as stable and really tough to work with in frozen weather (plastic cams freeze).

How about this military surplus, it has extra strap for stability.
gasholder.jpg

I'm in California so freezing is not a major concern yet :ylsmoke: But I do have plan to visit Alaska in Sep 08 so I'll keep that in mind!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
slooowr6 said:
How about this military surplus, it has extra strap for stability.
I'm in California so freezing is not a major concern yet :ylsmoke: But I do have plan to visit Alaska in Sep 08 so I'll keep that in mind!

Not sure about that one... I'm not really a fan of any the strap ones. They are just not as reliable and with gas prices going up this summer jerry cans are going to start to disappear more frequently.

Have you thought about making one yourself or having someone make one out of alumimum?

Maybe along this line (Hannibal version):

sngljerry.jpg

Pete

slooowr6

Explorer
mountainpete said:
Not sure about that one... I'm not really a fan of any the strap ones. They are just not as reliable and with gas prices going up this summer jerry cans are going to start to disappear more frequently.

Have you thought about making one yourself or having someone make one out of alumimum?

Maybe along this line (Hannibal version):

sngljerry.jpg

Pete

Don't have the skill to build one.:coffee: I don't trust myself in welding.
Saw that one it's nice and light weight but it has to be mount at the bottom. The Jerry can is going to be mount on the back of the camper on the left so it needs to be mount on the side.
133892918-M.jpg

Not sure how much it's going to be to have one made.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
What about the Con-ferr blitz can style mount?

con_ferr_blitz_can_carrier.jpg

No personal use - so hopefully someone else may chime in with how stable it is. But it should be light.

Pete

slooowr6

Explorer
That was high on my list until I read most people has problem with blitz can. It seems everyone say they leak a lot. Any one has good things to say about Blitz can??

flyingwil

I got the answer... We are test one out right now (before we sell 'em) But the company that makes quickfists now has a QuickFist XL...
JerryTankFinalSm.jpg

You would have to find a way to lock it to the camper, but that could easily be done with an eye hook.

slooowr6

Explorer
flyingwil said:
I got the answer... We are test one out right now (before we sell 'em) But the company that makes quickfists now has a QuickFist XL...
JerryTankFinalSm.jpg

You would have to find a way to lock it to the camper, but that could easily be done with an eye hook.
Sweeeeeettttt, What's holding the can at the bottom? Or it's meant to mount in the truck bed or roof top basket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94