need input on drawer system requests for JK

bodynmotion

Adventurer
We need your input. After looking at all the high end drawer systems and wanting to make something that is cost effective, durable and modifiable we are going to make our own. We are looking at building a modular drawer system that will be based off of a large aluminum plate for the back of the vehicle. Basically there will be a "master plate" that bolts down to existing holes. The plan is to leave access to the cubby only when the drawers are fully extended.

Using accuslide drawer slides with lock in/out. You can use any standard overlanding type fridge or ice chest that will fit. Additionally we are going to make it so you can use the partner steel stoves in 16", 18" and 22" as an "off the shelf" item. You can order with gas input for the left or right side depending on how you want to configure your vehicle.

Additionally we are going to make different depth and width drawer combinations. These will be made from aluminum cut with a CNC machine so they can be repeatable. We want to be able to ship flat for you to be able to assemble on site with standard hardware. Think Tuffy with the ability to be modular. We are going to look at making the following to use standard items but would like your input on what sizes you would like to see as well:

Fridge Slide: to accept any fridge less than 14" wide x 24" long. Tie down points will be incorporated into the tray.
Fridge/Stove combo slide: See above and accept a cook partner stove in 16", 18" and 22".

We are working on a table that will mount to drawer slide and have a single adjustable leg that will offer more of a cooking surface as well.

Drawers in 6", 8", 10" and 12" deep
Maybe multiple widths as well to have some versatility.

Additionally we would like to make shelf the you can slide out as well that mounts between the roll bar at about the seat height.

tarditi

Explorer
That all sounds great - what input are you looking for. Affirmation of a good idea? Good idea! :)

There seems to be a broad gap - the nice ones are very expensive and there are only a few manufacturers that have templates them out and have commercial offerings. DIY often looks less finished or requires a ton of time and fitment to get it right. I'm not arguing that the commercial ones are not valued, but that the barrier to entry is quite steep for many people. $3000 - $5000 is a tough pill to swallow for some of us. Perhaps the problem is an economy of scale, perhaps the cost of heavy duty slides and other hardware drive up the price - I am just offering my opinion.

bodynmotion

Adventurer
Dustin, thank for the response. We are trying to get an idea of what sizes people would want. We have a number of years of lean manufacturing experience and think we can make the cost much more bearable. The hope is create a model that is repeatable easily and can ship very affordable. Unfortunately we cannot make them for cost but we should be able to do them with a reasonable mark up. We would like to get input from people on sizes widths, height requests (how tall the sides are) and how deep to make them (length of the drawer as they slide in and out of the vehicle.) Again we are in the R&D stages and probably won't be able to get anything to market until after the first of the year.

rayra

Expedition Leader
you'd probably do better on design, material costs, shipping costs and final market costs if you forget the big base plate and instead go with smaller 'shoes' or plates, which are attached semi permanently and which the modular drawer / tray components mount to, with some sort of latch or catch method. Two plates to a module. Allowing the modules to be readily put in and taken out as needed, or even reconfigured.

Speaking as someone that's handy and having a hard time in this phony economy, I won't be buying a manufactured system. However 'lean' it might be, it's not as lean as my wallet.

The topic at the top of this subforum is a veritable cornucopia of design ideas and styles. Easy for anyone to go thru and pick out the elements they desire to emulate. That goes for the handy and for those looking to bring a product to market.

/about to build my own

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Speaking as someone that's handy and having a hard time in this phony economy, I won't be buying a manufactured system. However 'lean' it might be, it's not as lean as my wallet.

Very few low volume products will ever be cheaper than doing it yourself, assuming you use the same materials. DIY simply doesn't have the overhead to absorb, or the labor to pay.

Perhaps the problem is an economy of scale, perhaps the cost of heavy duty slides and other hardware drive up the price -

Those two issues certainly are a challenge. It takes a lot of time to build the first piece (and if your product has a lot of pieces . . .), but if you don't have imminent sales, it's hard to tie up $$$ on the shelf just for the sake of bringing the unit labor cost down. It's also easier to justify lesser quality components when it's your personal project. If something fails, you don't have customers calling & wanting a refund or warranty repair.

And speaking of labor - it's far more expensive than most think. As a general rule of thumb, if you pay a guy $20/hour, he actually costs you closer to $30/hour (taxes, benefits, etc). Even if you are doing your own labor, you lose 30 - 40% to taxes (your marginal rate + self employment tax).

Honestly - I'm consistently amazed at how inexpensive many small batch & one-off products are. Durable goods is a tough market when you don't have a massive footprint.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I might also suggest the idea of a design service, with plans for sale. There's a few ways to protect your intellectual property / value somewhat, and the investment is much smaller to generate a revenue stream. And this is one interest area where the average 'handiness' could be expected to be higher. So not just a market to sell to, but a 'do it yourself' market to sell plans to.
In fact it would be a low cost / low risk entry into it and use customer feedback to refine and improve your design(s), in essence using the marketplace as your R&D, akin to this topic itself. And when your designs are improved you switch over to manufacturing by order. Make a modular system that's readily modified to work in different vehicle designs. The basics are the same, for the most part. But focusing on the most prevalent models first would help accelerate the process. Although the more expensive niche models might yield more money in the short term, as their owners more typically have the money to spend on such things. Your market research / targeting is at least as important as your technical design research.

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
I am very interested in this idea. For me, two drawers, maybe with some side storage where things are not square, would work well. Locking drawers/compartments is a must and the more secure, the better. Weight is always a concern in the JK so keep it slim wherever possible. Using aluminum is a good start.

Oh and no rattling please.

And if it could make me pancakes in the morning, too, that would be great. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke