NEED INPUT - 02 AV Differential and Suspension Upgrades

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am looking forward to seing the install Stryder. Please post lots of pics for all us here at Expo. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Stryder106

Explorer
Just dropped my truck off and got a look at my new General Tire Grabber x3 tires - OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Rig should be done by EOB Wednesday - pics on Thursday. Stay tuned..................

Stryder106

Explorer
Picked it up - boy does it look better. Tires feel much better than the Pro Comps I had on it. The 35x12.50-17 actually LOOK like the correct size tire (my 285/70-17s always looked undersized to me). The fenderwell and firewall trimming allows for A LOT of room - I could run a 37" without lifting it if I wanted to. The 4.88 gears get it moving much better and only add 200 RPM at 70PMH compared to my 4.10/285/70 combo. And the ARB Twin Compressor is REALLY nice. Plus, got rid of the stock street tire off of my dual swing out - now it looks much mo betta. Overall - I'm really happy and money well spent. I will post the bulk of the pics in my Build thread - but here are some pics for ya:

Sun's on the wrong side, but the 35"s fit well.
New Tires 2.jpg

The ARB air compressor - I was shocked they were able to find room under my hood. Of course, I'm glad I just changed my plugs and wires a week ago.
ARB Compressor.jpg

The swingout now looks like it's supposed to.
New Tires 8.jpg

Attachments

• New Tires 7.jpg
    New Tires 7.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Stryder106

Explorer
Thanks. To fit 35"s (easily - shockingly) without lifting the truck (though mine is leveled). My front bumper is highly modified, but in addition, for the front fenderwells: Trimmed back the cladding and cut metal back to the point that removed anything excess beyond the seams. Also cut the lower portions of the plastic inner fender liner, but put the liner back in (I figured if it would fit back in it would seriously cut down on crud in my engine bay. For the rear: trimmed the cladding and some metal both forward and rear. Tried to keep the lines of the rig as much as I could given my skill level (or lack thereof). Once we were satisfied that a 35" tires would fit with no issues whatsoever, then I used Loc-Tite 4x density insulating expansion foam (note - this stuff neutralizes with Acetone - if uncured. Once cured, good luck with that) to seal up the openings due to the cutting between layers of metal and plastic. Once it cured, I sawed that down and shaped/smoothed it sandpaper. Then, painted it semi-gloss black. It came out really nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94