NEED INPUT - 02 AV Differential and Suspension Upgrades

rayra

Expedition Leader
Given all that, in your position(s), I'd do the 6.5" lift first, leave the tires / wheels as they are. That way you don't have to worry about the gearing either. Go wheel some more. The rest can wait.
what's the deal with the warranty swap on the tires, something wrong with them?

I presume you've been thru Anzo-Borrego area already? How are things there, haven't been there myself in decades.

Stryder106

Explorer
Pro Comp X-Treme Terrain ATs - they will NOT stay balanced and have gone from 18/32 tread to 7/32 tread in 18K miles - yet they have a 50K mile tread wear warranty. I've spent $400 constantly rebalancing them - to the point that I even had them dismounted and remounted because I thought I had a bent wheel. I'm now buying the new General Grabber x3.

Anza-Borrego yes - that's actually the reason for my snorkel. Did the run from Fish Creek to Plaster City and hit a seriously deep silt bed. My map said it was a trail - this was 2014. My map was from 2006. In 2012 the trail was removed from all new maps as it was deemed impassable due to heavy silt..................Oooooops. I made it through - but had to trophy truck it to do it.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I hate to be a nag, but I'll do it anyway. A lift by itself may improve your approach and departure angles, but it will not give you any more ground clearance unless you run taller tires. If you leave the current size tires, your pumpkins are just as close to the ground as they were before the lift, and they will still drag in the silt or on two-tracks.

Stryder106

Explorer
I hate to be a nag, but I'll do it anyway. A lift by itself may improve your approach and departure angles, but it will not give you any more ground clearance unless you run taller tires. If you leave the current size tires, your pumpkins are just as close to the ground as they were before the lift, and they will still drag in the silt or on two-tracks.

Agreed - I was doing the lift to not only fit the bigger tires - which not only smooth out the smaller stuff, but as you mention, give the differentials a bit more clearance. But, there are additional benefits to a suspension lift with a longer wheelbase vehicle - namely breakover angle with my longer frame rails. Also, I have had to back down from a trail due to a water crossing that was just a tad to high for my comfort level with the stock height of my truck - I do have carpet and electric seats...............

We are preparing for Mojave Road in November and there is water on that so I want to make sure I can do it - unless it is swollen - then I know better.

I took Ducky's Dad's advice to my rig today. Saws, BFH, grinders, etc - now I can fit 35" tires no problem - without HAVING to lift it. I'll get the tires and differential work done - then decide if I want to lift it and if so, by how much.

Also did a really cool mod to the rear bumper. I'll post up on that tomorrow in my Avalanche build thread.

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE INPUT. I do consider ALL of it while weighing my options and determining my best path forward.

Stryder106

Explorer
Sacked up - parts ordered: General Grabber x3 35x12.50-17, G2 4.88 gears for front and rear diffs - along with all new seals and bearings, new axle bearings, ARB Air Locker, ARB Twin Compressor.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We are preparing for Mojave Road in November and there is water on that so I want to make sure I can do it - unless it is swollen - then I know better.
The best way to cross a water obstacle like the Mojave River is ... let someone else go first. :sombrero:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I'd suggest a solid axle conversion. Same suspension design
Similar design, but the H3 is based on the Colorado platform, not the K1500 or Silverado platform. The problem with that H3 is the stupid offset on those wheels. That much leverage would break a lot of trucks.

mccustomize

Explorer
I don't think you would need a solid axle swap for what you are doing, why not go with Cognito's 4" kit? I think the X3's in 35s are a good choice, you'll love the 4.88s. Why not just go with a tru-trac LSD in the rear? I think the ARB was way overkill. I've been through a LOT in 2 wheel drive with just a tru-trac and good tires. Do you already have sliders? Could have some fabbed up with integrated steps if you are concerned about access to the roof of the Avy.

I did a solid axle swap because in Texas we have a lot of private offroad parks and less public trails.

Stryder106

Explorer
I don't need to do the SAS. As far as Cognito, mine's an 02 - they only have a 7" and 9" kit - way too tall for what I do. I already have the G80 and it works great, but everyone keeps telling me since I'm regearing, now is the time to change it since it has 173K miles on it - I'm on borrowed time. So, I went for the strongest I could find. The ARB Air Locker also gives the added benefit - albeit added cost - of adding the ARB Twin compressor - so now I'll have on-board air and can eliminate the weight and space of carrying the C02 bottle.

As for sliders - the answer is "Not yet". This is a one step at a time, I just happened to get to a point where I had to do several steps in rapid succession. Once I get the tires and gears in, I'll re-evaluate if I need to lift it, and if so how high I want to go then I'll fab up some sliders.

mccustomize

Explorer
I agree, it's a progression of mods. I don't know many people that can do it all at once. I think 35s at leveled height will look awesome! The Chevy IFS doesn't have much up travel anyway. I had a lot of hard miles on my G80, never failed me. I look forward to seeing it with the new tires.

Stryder106

Explorer
Quick update: All of my parts are in, just waiting on the tires - hopefully they arrive today or Monday at the latest. I did get some Loc-Tite 4x density spray insulation foam and seal up the gaps in my inner fenders that were created when we did all of the trimming to fit the 35s. Sanded, and painted and it looks much better now. FWIW for GM guys considering an ARB air locker - part number change from the RD84 to RD222 - complete redesign. Less moving parts and 35% stronger. So - that's what'll be going in my rear diff. I also decided to put a front steering stabilizer on it. Order the Ranch bracket kit and my buddy is custom building the shock for it. Can't wait to actually get this stuff on the truck - hopefully by end of next week I'll be rockin' and rollin'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz