Need ideas where to mount a charging base for two handheld radios

drabina

I have a 1st gen Sequoia and would like to mount (pretty much permanently) a charging base for two handheld radios. Just looking for ideas where to mount. I do have a drawer system in the back that I built but would rather keep the radios accessible for when I need them on the trail without digging thru some other stuff. The base is wired so the radios would charge while driving and be ready when I need them. I can do wiring regardless of location.

This is what I have:

cobra.jpeg

kidphc

This is all my opinion. So some of it may not even be factual.

Personally, I would mount them towards the drawers. Make sure to secure the radios in a sense, if they break contact with the charger they won't be charged when you need them, hence why a lot if flashlights (rechargable) clip into the charging base. This can be just a bump or something resting against the radios.

I would then just toss one into a cup holder before the trip or a ht mount on the dash. Then it is in reach.

There are other issues with keeping the radios on the charger full time. Most batteries tend to have degraded performance if let on chargers.

I have a ham 2/70 (caps modded for gmrs/murs) radio permanently installed in my truck. So haven't had the need to carry hand units with any regularity.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
What I have seen a number of people do is mount them on the sill of the rear side windows, within easy reach of the rear hatch

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Personally, I would mount them towards the drawers. Make sure to secure the radios in a sense, if they break contact with the charger they won't be charged when you need them, hence why a lot if flashlights (rechargable) clip into the charging base. This can be just a bump or something resting against the radios.
Would make one suggestion regarding your (correct) assessment of holding the radios in place.

I submit what has always struck me as a kludge solution but one that has worked fine for years with commercial radios.

nntn7616c.jpg

The strap or tie-down being various things, sometimes barely more than a bungie cord. Point being if the cradle is reasonably secure it could be just as simple as adding a length of whatever elastic-type sort of thing.

Variations of this I've seen with Motorola and Kenwood, maybe others, for years. And it's used in tough situations, like cop cars and fire engines and lumber trucks.

Now slots like this and the charging interface is designed to be robust in the first place, so there's a fundamental leg-up over more delicate consumer stuff. But it surely can be adapted to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles