Need ideas for sleeping platform with fridge

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
My friend Steve built a great setup in his Tacoma that maximizes cargo space. When camped, the fridge swings outside of the vehicle, and then his bed platform unlatches and drops down from the ceiling.

This first video shows the fridge and bed being deployed: Click for video on Google

And the second video shows them being stowed:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxilysHjHbw"]YouTube - SteveS TacoBed Unfold[/ame]

He's using a 60L fridge - a 40-45L would be even easier. What could be a challenge though, is the more dramatic contours of the 4Runner body and rear hatch vs. a standard camper shell. Food for thought, though :)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I'd love to see the mechanism behind the bed stowage ?

the fridge does not look a smooth an operation but it obviously functions !

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
That's pretty slick. I like it.

The only issue may be finding proper mounting points in the 4Runner.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Wouldn't that cause the roof to bow in due to the weight of fridge or while on rough trails??

Mr. Leary your idea gave me an idea. Couldn't you install a 1st gen rollbar (something similar, bolt in of course) and attach some sort of track system to that, which would allow the fridge to be suspended and then slide back and forth (or slide out of the vehicle?

I don't think the roof would bow in if you mounted it to the crossmembers. These are designed to protect passengers in a rollover accident and are relatively stout... unfortunately the same cannot be said for the front, which tends to cave in...

A 1st gen rollbar would work as well.

shellb

Adventurer
Here is a set-up the "Ramble Writers" used on a trip down through South America. Not sure if it would work for you, but another idea...

Hope they don't mind me posting a pic!

http://www.ramblewriter.com/

Btw, we love our OzTent (RV5), but it is sort of a pain to store/carry...

Attachments

• Sleeping Platform.jpg
    Sleeping Platform.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 229

97kurt

Adventurer
rt.JPG

Engel and 2 dogs down stairs, wife and I are up stairs. I know its a big investment but I sleep better in the RTT than I do at the house.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
I have watched this thread, before i start to buy and mod my car. I think now it is time to share my build, maybe it helps to a prove the setup of another one - who plan something like this.

We put two Engel Cooling Boxes (Fridge&Freezer) below of the sleeping platform. To save the limited available height - we use the 15L Box:

innen1.jpg

Aluminium Drawers:

innen2.jpg

An 85L Water Tank

DSC_0261.jpeg

IMG_1203.JPG

We have lived two months inside of this setup - it has worked well for us :) But you see: it is not much place inside - for something else than sleeping. But sleeping - like at home.

IMG_4006.JPG

More Pictures you will find in my Blog

VATACO

Adventurer
In my 2011 double cab short bed tacoma I sleep in the bed with the gate up, granted it is just me and I don't mind sleeping in the fetal position to an extent. I pull my chuck box out pelican 1600? and set it on the ground under my awning and then place my ARB fridge in top of that. If the rain is bad I'll take my rain jacket and bungee it over my ARB63 fridge. Honestly now that I'm single and my friends rarely camp with me these days I could go to a much smaller fridge and not even need to remove it from the bed.

I put a wool blanket down and then put my thermarest in top of it with the top folded over to act as a pillow. I use my ARB hozuki lantern as a light hooked onto one of the bars of my softopper. To give myself some privacy I can hang a towel over the rearmost support bar to block the window. I also always carry the screen insert windows for the front and rear so I can get plenty of air circulation on nice nights. I'd like to move to a smaller fridge and then build a permanent platform over a set of lockable drawers with recessed tie downs for the fridge so that I can drop it in the cab overnight and not worry about things getting wet.

You could always do the drawer fridge and then platform on top. A buddy of mine has this setup and it gives him more head room across the the whole bed of the truck.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
You could always do the drawer fridge and then platform on top. A buddy of mine has this setup and it gives him more head room across the the whole bed of the truck.

I had evaluate the drawer cooling boxes (from the WAECO brand). But i just found normal "fridge" as drawer, no capable freezer. When you dont need a freezer this is a great way to save height.

We had 56cm height between matress and roof - this was enough to sleep comfortable. To have more room - 10 to 20cm additional height dont give you much more comfort.

You still cant cook inside or spending your time more comfortable during heavy reain.

If you just want to sit - use you driving / codriving seat.

Hamer95USA

My friend Steve built a great setup in his Tacoma that maximizes cargo space. When camped, the fridge swings outside of the vehicle, and then his bed platform unlatches and drops down from the ceiling.

And the second video shows them being stowed:

He's using a 60L fridge - a 40-45L would be even easier. What could be a challenge though, is the more dramatic contours of the 4Runner body and rear hatch vs. a standard camper shell. Food for thought, though :)

Hey BajaTaco,

My first post. I've been lurking on this website for awhile to gain some ideas for a sleep platform. I really like how your friend Steve mounted his bed platform to the ceiling and has his refrigerator swings with the tailgate open. Would your friend Steve or anyone else be kind enough to show how you would mount the sleep platform to the ceiling and the swing out arm for the refrigerator?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke