need help

sidewys xj

Observer
Just bought a 700 watt invertor from harbor freight this weekend in the manual it says to use #4 AWG wire for the battery leeds could someone put in to english for me. what gauge wire should I use

Thank you

luke

njtaco

Explorer
#4 AWG is the gauge...but depending on how far from the battery you mount it, you may want to go larger...like #2 AWG for example. Welding cable is also popular for the higher strand count for a given gauge, IIRC.
(AWG means "American Wire Gauge")

Post up some additional information, like battery make and model, inverter make and model, and where you plan to install it, and I'm sure you will get more help than you can handle!

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I would use a 4 guage Amplifier hook up kit the car audio guys use. With the car audio set up it places a HD fuse within inches of the positive terminal to prevent fires.

sidewys xj

Observer
Thanks

Thanks for the reply the specs on the inverter are
peak surge power 1800w
Continuous use 700w
input12v Nominal 10-15v DC
output 115V AC
My battries are dual yellow tops 700 cca amps
And its a 1991 jeep xj what I was thinking is to put it in between my drivers seat and the door the xj has some good room thare and to use some heavy jumper cables for my leeds What would you guy think of that.
Luke.

njtaco

Explorer
I'd be concerned about using jumper cables. Why? Because I have not seen many "good" cables for sale lately. Most seem to be a lot of insulation, of low quality, with not a lot of copper in them. That is to say, they are 8 ga wire made to look like 2 ga wire. Stick with wire designed for what you are using it for...continuous loads, with a low voltage drop across the length of wire.

The car audio kit suggesteed by Wil is a good idea, designed to carry continuous loads (amplifiers).

Just my opinion, though...

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
njtaco said:
I'd be concerned about using jumper cables. Why? Because I have not seen many "good" cables for sale lately. Most seem to be a lot of insulation, of low quality, with not a lot of copper in them. That is to say, they are 8 ga wire made to look like 2 ga wire. Stick with wire designed for what you are using it for...continuous loads, with a low voltage drop across the length of wire.

The car audio kit suggesteed by Wil is a good idea, designed to carry continuous loads (amplifiers).

Just my opinion, though...

:iagree: You could pick up an amplifier kit at best buy, or any car audio place. I would say Wally world, but I think the largest they have is an 8ga.

sidewys xj

Observer
Ok

Cool guys I will check best buy I am trying to keep the thing as close to my batteries as I can but I am running out of room I will let you guys no how she goes

Thanks again Luke

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
flyingwil said:
:iagree: You could pick up an amplifier kit at best buy, or any car audio place. I would say Wally world, but I think the largest they have is an 8ga.

x2 :iagree:

Amp kits are ideal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94