Need help with wheel width/backspacing for 98 cherokee

WV Jeeper

Observer
Not exactly expo related but since I'm a member here, I hoped someone out there in the jeep section could help me out.

My son has 1998 cherokee with 6" long arm lift, currently running 285/75R16 tires, bushwacker flares and some wheels and spacers (to account for different bolt pattern on the wheels). We have inspections here in WV and the tires cannot stick out past the fender flares which they currently do by about an inch+. This is even after recently installing the aftermarket bushwacker fender flares that are supposed to add 4.5" of coverage. So, we need to get different wheels to address the problem. I'll admit up front I'm a gal and I know a little but when it comes to the correct wheel backspacing that wont cause a problem with his lift and not stick out past the fenders I need some help. I know we are looking for a 16" wheel but what width wheel and backspacing is recommended given the info I have provided? I know he likes the "stance" look so not looking to tuck the tires way up in there and certainly dont want issues of rubbing on anything but we need the fender flares to cover the tires completely. I'd appreciate any help please. Thank you!

boykinjw

Is WV so strict that a cop would give you a ticket for your current setup or do you just need to make the inspector happy? If its just the inspectors I would go to a junkyard and buy 4 XJ or KJ wheels and tires that would pass and take it in for inspection. Then you can run what you want after it passes.

WV Jeeper

Observer
The current wheels are 16x8 (f150 wheels) with approx. 1.5" adapters. He has not gotten a ticket yet and we already play the game of switching out wheels/tires for inspections on most of our vehicles but its a pain so just really looking to fix the issue. He wants new wheels so now is the time to get something that works.

Mitch502

Explorer
I'd say he's pushing it by going with any less backspacing in terms of rubbing. A 7" rim might work, but it's going to take you in...if you measure straight down from the edge of the flare, how much of the tire is sticking out right now?

KelticXJ

16x8 with 3.75BS should put the tires right at the edge of the flares. I run that setup with Napier flares and the rears are tucked nicely still, fronts are at the edge

WV Jeeper

Observer
I'd say he's pushing it by going with any less backspacing in terms of rubbing. A 7" rim might work, but it's going to take you in...if you measure straight down from the edge of the flare, how much of the tire is sticking out right now?

Hes at school with it right now to get an exact measurement but after he put the bushwacker flat flares on, the tires looked to be between 1-2 inches out past. We were hoping the flares would have been enough but no luck. Its his birthday next week so just trying to figure out what I should be looking at in terms of ordering new ones. Theres not alot available in 16" with his bolt pattern. Seem to be 16x8 with 0 offset coming up the most? Thanks everyone for the advice.

WV Jeeper

Observer
Follow up....been doing some searching and for 16" wheels (again not alot of choice in the bolt pattern), I'm seeing 16x8 and 16x9....offsets of 0 and -12 mostly. Does the width really affect things and would a 0 or -12 be better for him? Thank you!!

Mitch502

Explorer
Width matters in relation to backspacing, I learned that recently myself. Let me see if I can find the explanation that helped me understand a lot

Mitch502

Explorer
I'd get the track bar in, center up the axle and flex the Jeep a bit and see how much clearance you've got at various points in the suspension travel. Go from there when determining whether you need to change anything else.

Also, for this case, it's probably easier to look at wheels in offset, rather than backspacing (especially if you're looking at 8" wide wheels, which would fit the 285s a bit better). Backspacing is the distance from the mounting surface to the inside of the wheel, so a 7" wide wheel will sit further in on the Jeep than an 8" wheel with the same backspacing. Offset measures how far from centered the mounting surface is, so a 0 offset will sit in the same place regardless of width.

As an example, going from a 7" to 8" wheel while maintaining 3" backspacing adds 1 inch to the outside of the wheel and none to the inside, so overall, the tire moves outwards. But if we target to maintain -25mm offset (equivalent to 3" BS on a 7" wheel), going to an 8" wheel adds a 1/2" inside and a 1/2" outside, so the overall position of the tire doesn't change.

Basically, backspacing is an easy measurement to work with on something like a TJ, where you have limited inner clearance and can get as much outer clearance as you want. But on something full bodied like a ZJ, it's easier to worry about where the wheel sits overall, rather than just how far from the inner edge are you.

From this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/155658-ZJ-Wheel-Question

cdn_xj

Observer

In addition to this, keep in mind that (if I read it correctly) he currently has 1.5" spacers to accomodate the different bolt pattern of his current wheels. When shopping for new rims, get rid of the spacers and get rims that will fit on the original bolt pattern (5 x 4-1/2" or 5 x 114.3mm). Ideal rim specs would be an 8" wide rim with 3.75"-4" backspacing. That works out to +6mm to 0mm Offset

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles