Need help with value?

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/1976-chevy-pathfinder-van/6544879143.html

Hi guys new here. I know nothing about these old 4x4 vans but I'm really loving the idea of getting one. I really like the super short wheelbase ones as well... Well this is the only one I can find right now and I'm considering buying it. But the guy "doesn't need to sell it" and will only let it go if he gets 6500. Trsut me tried to make an offer of 6 flat and he said no. Anyway I don't know what these are worth...I come from the Toyota landcruiser world so excuse my ignorence. But I just don't want to buy a marked up van find out I don't like it and go to resell it and end up losing money. (not a flipper but just want to be able to get what I bought it for if I do sell it.) So I came here to hopefully find someone who knows more about these than I do and will hopefully tell me that this is either too high or a decent price? I went and checked it out. The rhino liner is cracking in places. He said they didn't prep the van before paint so it's not sticking well. That doesn't bother me to much as it will probably be repainted at some point. The underside is pretty clean. Only some seepage around transfer case. Nothing dripping (probably just needs a new seal). Engine miles are unknown since the Speedo cable is out. But he estimates between 80 and 100k. And I have to agree engine seemed really clean and strong for it's age. Drove straight A's an arrow. Brakes seemed fine. Any way any thoughts would be helpful. But if this is the wrong spot for this let me know and I'll remove it.
Thanks for any help.

grampswrx

Observer
You definitely couldn’t build something similar for the money. Even if you got the van for free, the sum of the parts are probably more than $6500. And they are hard to find. How local are you. I would go look at it if you can and figure out if you think it’s worth it. The group of people wanting a similar van is pretty small, so it’s a crapshoot on price. But I don’t think it’s a horrible price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks yes I am local and I already went to see it. I do like it but 65 just leaves me with less than I would like to redo the interior. But thanks that's definitely the answer I was looking for!

MotoMind

On the other hand it will take many thousands more to make it more than someone's project. So the market is indeed small and the price is directly proportional to how long you can wait for a buyer. If you look at it in context of what people might wish to get for 6500 that isn't a gross old van, you might think about it differently.

My strategy to knowing if something is a good price or not is just wait a few weeks. If it sells in a few days, it was a good price. If it takes a month, not so much. Sometimes people come to their senses and lower the price.

Good suggestion. And I agree that's exactly why I don't want to pay 6500 for it. I basically have 10k to spend on a project and 3500 isn't enough to make the van the way I want it. He definitely won't come down. He was pretty adamant that he "doesn't need to sell it" and if he didn't get 6500 he would be giving it to his son who really wants it. He was just kind of testing the waters to see if he could sell it. With the whole. I would have gladly paid 5k right then and there. But yeah he seemed really not interested so I didn't even bother to ask. Today I asked if he would consider 6k flat and he said for me he would consider 6250. So I think I'll go back to my original plan of trying to get and fj60 landcruiser. I love the idea of an adventure van but only if I could find a short one like this... Thanks for the advice!

Also he's had it posted for almost a week and I was the first person to contact him. After I met him he said he had 5 other people interested and still no sale... So i guess it's definitely not a good price..

apalazzolo

My strategy to knowing if something is a good price or not is just wait a few weeks. If it sells in a few days, it was a good price. If it takes a month, not so much. Sometimes people come to their senses and lower the price.

Right. Or, as Lord Byron would say, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

Choff

Adventurer
I Bought a 1976 Chev Van (not a 4 x 4 ) brand new with 12 miles in 1976 and paid $4,500 with 2 seats and empty in back.
Wow have they held in price!!!
should have kept it

r27d

Cumulative inflation since 1976 is 337% so your $4500 1976 dollars is actually $19,691 in 2018 dollars.

Choff

Adventurer
Should of keep it for sure!!
but after 4 other Vans we now have a 2005 GMC AWD, the best I have ever had!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior