Need help with an all in one FA Kit.

Jake Lamb

So I am a EMT-B and work for the Fire Department, what I am looking for a FA kit for my truck and one that I can take into the woods with me. The problem I am running into is right now I have a large backpack that is my kit and I am haveing a hard time making it smaller. We run a complete jump bag off the fire truck, so I don't really know what is the need only items. Also what size bag does anyone use?

dakdoc

Observer
Hi Jake,

As you've probably learned in your EMT training, there are limited number of interventions that can be performed in an out-of-hospital setting. Large studies have investigated the number and types of injuries sustained in the wilderness, and most of these injuries are relating to simple GI illness (vomiting and diarrhea), minor aches and pains, small wounds and blisters, and orthopedic problems (sprained ankles). Many people either carry too many supplies (tourniquets, suturing supplies, nasal tampons for bloody noses, etc) or not enough (just a few bandaids). You are already ahead of the curve with your EMT training and aside from the multitude of quick-fixes that can be improvised from other equipment such as hankerchiefs and duck tape, you'll get much milage from a cravate, two safety pins, a 3 inch ACE wrap, one Kerlix style rolled bandage, a package of Steri-Strips, one or two small single use vials of tincture of benzoin (liquid adhesive), a half role of 2 inch medical tape, and 1-2 small blister bandages. Then, a few small zip lock bags with 2-3 tablets of motrin, benadryl, and imodium, and you'll be ready to handle 99% of anything you'll encounter, or at least be able to provide good first aid untill you can get to a hospital.

For more tips, check out www.facebook.com/dakdoc for weekly first aid tips and tricks for outdoorsmen.

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior