Need help with a power window (doesn't move)

mike5

Adventurer
A few days ago I noticed the rear left window was down and would not roll up. Upon examination I could hear the motor working (and struggling) but very little window movement. Once I had the door apart, I was again playing around with the power window to see if I could see what it was doing. I could see some movement and hear the motor. Then it stopped. So I figured the motor was toast too. So I ordered a new motor and regulator.

Fast forward to today and the parts came in. I swapped out the regulator and motor, and before putting everything back decided to test it quickly. Nothing. No motor sound and no movement. All the other 3 windows are fine. Here is what I've done so far:

- Per manual, there is a window fuse under the hood and another under the dash. Checked both and they're good. (Plus I would expect all the other windows to not work if it was a fuse issue).
- Connected door card with switch and tested again from both driver's door as well as rear passenger door...nothing.
- Hooked up multimeter to plug that goes into motor...no voltage when operating either window switch. (Note door lock motor is fine).

It is getting dark and I don't have time to further examine today. But the obvious conclusion I think is that power is not reaching the motor. Any other possibility? If my hunch is right, any specific place I can check for power or do I need to tear interior trim apart and check the wire?

I'd appreciate the help.

TheMole

Adventurer
Have you tested if the new motor/regulator work? I remember getting a new one off of ebay for my friend's car and had everything installed only to find out that the motor was DOA.

Have you checked if the wiring from/to the plug is not pinched or severed?

I was thinking maybe the front driver's window lock button was accidentally pressed, but then the other windows work wouldn't work at their own switches.

mudraider

Adventurer
If you grab the harness in the opening between the door and the body, inside the rubber boot, and gently wiggle it while activating the switch, you might find you have a break in there.

sent from my pretty good Android phone

mike5

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice guys. My plan is to connect direct power to the motor to make sure it works. If it does, then it must be a wiring issue. I'll try and wiggle to see if its between the door and body. Otherwise I think I have to tear it apart and trace the wire. Anyone know where the wire terminates?

lchavez

Observer
I just disconnected the motor and screwed the window brackets in the raised position and called it good:) But this was a back window, so no big loss.

mike5

Adventurer
Problem fixed.

The issue was the connectors on the rear window switch. I realized this after taking the switch out of the door and checking. The contributing factor was that in order for the motor to function (even when testing from the driver's door) the switch on the door with the issue has to be connected.

TheMole

Adventurer
Good to hear you got it fixed! Sorry didn't mention that the door switch had to be connected as I must have misread the first post.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Sorry to bring up an old thread but my driver side power window is to the point where it will not go up. It stops then I hit the button and it goes up, repeat until all the way up. 2003 Gen 3 Limited. I read through this thread, not sure what to check first, any advice? Other Gen 3’s having this happen? Thank you-

mike5

Adventurer
So either something is getting in the way or the regulator is bad. Open up the door and do a visual. If all looks good, replace regulator.

ljzxup4

That happened to my windows, I was able to spray silicone spray inside the tracks of the windows and dry lube on the cable assembly. It helped out a little but eventually I had to replace the motor. I would raise the window, then it would stop, then I would have to wait a minute or two before the window would start rolling up again. it would take a few minutes to get the window all the way up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offroadmuch

Explorer
That happened to my windows, I was able to spray silicone spray inside the tracks of the windows and dry lube on the cable assembly. It helped out a little but eventually I had to replace the motor. I would raise the window, then it would stop, then I would have to wait a minute or two before the window would start rolling up again. it would take a few minutes to get the window all the way up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. Do you recall the part number for the motor. Some of these parts are getting hard to find...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online