Need help: Which trailer works best for us?

goodol

My negatives on the Opus? Made in China assembled in California (where I live). Heavy though not a TV issue for me at 9200lb capability. Its too tall for the garage so the short popup aspect mehh just unnecessary cost and weather weakness vs hard wall. Break or bend something on the suspension and your fabricating it your self to fix. Pre pandemic it was $35-40k.
Same investment group then spun up some other brands and brought over different versions of the same trailer from China at stupid prices. No thanks I’ll take Indiana US garbage over expensive Chinese garbage lol
Yes, some of the negative feedbacks online about Opus products hold me off.

billiebob

If storing outside is not a problem, what options you think we have?
Storing outside.... Definitely start with a factory built cargo trailer. They sre indestructible..... and easy to modify.... and cheap compared to all the other choices. Buy used and you will worry even less.

And don't add bling to the exterior. Let it weather. Buy a big enough unit to fit ALL the toys, bikes, kayaks, BBQ INSIDE..... the natural patina of an old cargo trailer will guarantee no one will steal it.

10 years later, I can drop this at any trail head for a week without a worry.
trlr 002.jpg

Last edited:

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Storing outside.... Definitely start with a factory built cargo trailer. They sre indestructible..... and easy to modify.... and cheap compared to all the other choices. Buy used and you will worry even less.

And don't add bling to the exterior. Let it weather. Buy a big enough unit to fit ALL the toys, bikes, kayaks, BBQ INSIDE..... the natural patina of an old cargo trailer will guarantee no one will steal it.

10 years later, I can drop this at any trail head for a week without a worry.
View attachment 739240

The thieves won't touch that for fear of a man with a broom popping out!

Used cargo trailers are frequently "camperized", and are also frequently available on the used market. If going down that path, buying something that someone else has already put effort into seems like the best bang for the buck.

I've recently seen several options here in BC in the $7.5-9k CAD range. All insulated, with interior bedding and basic amenities in place. OP would need a fairly large one to fit two adults and two kids, though.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Thank you for the suggested options. We will take a look. I like EOS 12 a lot, but my husband really wants to store it in our garage for protection. I’m still working on him.
Out Gladiator has 7000+ tow capacity, but we don’t want to tow a bigger box, we would like to keep it small and nimble to tow, and easy to store in garage or on our driveway ( our driveway is tight too) if that makes sense.
Like I said, we live on the east coast, so nothing too serious about the terrain, we just want a trailer taking us to a little bit more remote places, like dispersed sites, instead of packed campsites.
We don’t mind living small, as long as sleeping situation works.
Thank you.

Getting it in your garage and 4 (3.5) season camping is the problem. You could go Taxa Mantis- you need to see one and decide if you like the vibe of it with milk crate drawers and the queen bed cushion are not sleepable. Very small wetbath.

Arktos - new CA company.

Revcon R4- AU import

Mission overland is working on the Approach

All canvas pop ups.

All the Elkhart mass produced trailers and Fiberglass stand ups will not fit in garage.

The Boreas eos12 is 100" w/o AC. Assuming your garage 95 ". It would fit if you pulled wheels off and rolled in on dolly. So much better then a Taxa. I am sure you could find a way to insulat the canvas area better.

If you can park outside this one might check your other boxes. It's expensive, probably 4,200 lb dry and probably won't be available until 2023

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Boreas eos12 is 100" w/o AC. Assuming your garage 95 ". It would fit if you pulled wheels off and rolled in on dolly. So much better then a Taxa. I am sure you could find a way to insulat the canvas area better.
Looked at it. Too small for family with two kids. Money vs out growing it doesn’t work. Bunk options could have been better thought out.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Getting it in your garage and 4 (3.5) season camping is the problem. You could go Taxa Mantis- you need to see one and decide if you like the vibe of it with milk crate drawers and the queen bed cushion are not sleepable. Very small wetbath.

Arktos - new CA company.

Revcon R4- AU import

Mission overland is working on the Approach

All canvas pop ups.

All the Elkhart mass produced trailers and Fiberglass stand ups will not fit in garage.
Arktos camper looks interesting
I could easily rig a bunk bed for two kids on the bench.

The problem I run into is ideal gear stowage preferably inside enclosed space. Taking me back to anything with a rear hatch or door.

Many of the dads I know who bought the typical small bunk house have all sold them due to no good way to carry bikes, boats etc. Which makes the Mantis an interesting idea it’s flexible enough to accommodate gear during road mode. I just hate the mehh quality and stupid price. Axle setup should be way better for 40k trailer. Tent top should also be far superior materials etc
If the mantis was in the 25-32k range I could stomach buying one then spend another $3500 building it into a decent family rig.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
If you can park outside this one might check your other boxes. It's expensive, probably 4,200 lb dry and probably won't be available until 2023

I just returned from Overland Expo and this trailer is almost as good as the KImberley. It was by far the best built trailer that I have seen in the US.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just found out the MSRP is 125k. No freaking way this rig is worth that.
Definitely not. I’m watching Yacht prices in Croatia replacement of my 1986 sailboat with a 2021 larger by 4ft and super modern has me currently in the $130,000 range shipped to the west coast… A box on wheels for $120,000 with no engine and no 44ft mast, no carbon helm wheels etc yeah inflation is high but not that high.?

Definitely not. I’m watching Yacht prices in Croatia replacement of my 1986 sailboat with a 2021 larger by 4ft and super modern has me currently in the $130,000 range shipped to the west coast… A box on wheels for $120,000 with no engine and no 44ft mast, no carbon helm wheels etc yeah inflation is high but not that high.?

Demand has been out of control these past couple years… hoping for a fire sale on campers in 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior