Need help trying to diagnose rattle in dash. 05 z71 burb

autism family travels

I have a rattle/clunk in the drivers side dash, I have looked at everything, taken the speedo out and looked around and cannot find anything. The only thing I did find is some sensor on the steering shaft moves, but it does not make the sound I’m hearing. Any ideas, clues etc what it could be? This is the only thing now that make my interior crappy feeling.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Could be the intermediate steering shaft. The slip joint is under the hood. Try reaching down and wiggling that to see if there is play. Pretty common.

autism family travels

I know that noise and feeling, I had it go in my JK. This is in the upper left hand side of the dash, behind the vent/speedo/4wd selector area. I had it all apart and could not find anything. What is in that area? somehting is loose and rattling, not clunking like the intermediate shaft would do. I will try to get a video of it today and post it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
yep, steering shaft clunk, common issue. Easy 'free' fix, is to unbolt the intermediate shaft and just move it in and out to redistribute the grease on the shaft.

Bojak

Adventurer
If u got an 05, it's there. U might have another noise from another issue also but this is a pretty typical deal. I replaced my shaft while I was at it with a borgeson and new bearing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94