Need help to I.D a trailer

wasnt me

Time to stop lurking and finally joined, been absorbing info on here for quite some time now. (great forum)
I bought an expedition trailer project I plan to lift and modify to our liking.
1st I need help identifying the trailer since the title says special construction and although the bumper is scripted with willys overland I have yet to find any infoon this trailer after weeks of searching.
I just want to make sure I don't have something special before modding it.
I think it's from the late 40's to early 1950's.
Posting pic's in hopes someone can help figure out what I have here before the axle flip etc.

Thanks and on with the pic's

Last edited:

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
The rims are from a LUV truck. The truck body is typical of the late 40s / early 50s maintenance or telephone truck produced by various companies like Oakland, Service, and the like. Pretty neat!

wasnt me

Just looked up chevy luv wheels and sure enough 6 lug and they look the same.
What I want to know is how in the world did you know that. HaHa.
You must be a walking encyclopedia.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
I'd say that I was awesome, but I've had 3 LUVs and still hanker after them. They are roundy and sexy, not angular or wind tunnel approved.

The truck body may indeed be on a Willys chassis, but I've seen similar bodies on Dodge, Ford, Chevy, International, etc. with varying lengths between 6 to 9 feet...even a '59 dually Power Wagon W300. They were used in military and civilian setting.

wasnt me

It's little over 6ft long measured at the sloped bottom, 5' 10'' @ the top rack area and exactly 3 ft tall.
Did an axle flip and wound up a bit high even for the planned 33 to 35'' tires.
Going to start a build on it over the winter.
Thank for the help.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like it!
It would look cool with custom delivery graphics on the side.
Are you planning on keeping the current fenders?

When the body company mounted there on the cab and chassis they used the makers fenders.
I have seen ford, dodge, and studabaker models.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've never seen that trailer, basically, in any US military service, being a semi-army brat I go back to the 50s and later served being around all services. Not the telephone trailers I've seen either. Style looks to me as mid 50s and on but the drip rail, hinges are screaming early mid 60s to me. That license plate bracket and light say earlier 50s though, might have been scrounged later. Handles could be as well. Could well be a specially fabricated trailer by a local trailer manufacture, for various utility uses. Fenders aren't original, wheels, lights, bet the rack isn't either or the cup holder fold down shelf. A pic of the frame should help.

Regardless, you scored big with that if it's not reeeeeal heavy, doubt it could be toooo heavy. That will be a great trailer!

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I've been watching that trailer on CL for the past few months. I secretly wanted it. It's in better shape than the pics in the ad showed it to be. Good score!

Welcome to the Portal..

wasnt me

I've never seen that trailer, basically, in any US military service, being a semi-army brat I go back to the 50s and later served being around all services. Not the telephone trailers I've seen either. Style looks to me as mid 50s and on but the drip rail, hinges are screaming early mid 60s to me. That license plate bracket and light say earlier 50s though, might have been scrounged later. Handles could be as well. Could well be a specially fabricated trailer by a local trailer manufacture, for various utility uses. Fenders aren't original, wheels, lights, bet the rack isn't either or the cup holder fold down shelf. A pic of the frame should help.

Regardless, you scored big with that if it's not reeeeeal heavy, doubt it could be toooo heavy. That will be a great trailer!

Found pic's and it's a 50's telephone utility trailer mounted on a c channel frame from Willys or other ?
Not too heavy, built mainly out of light gauge steel, maybe 1k lbs or less.
I think I will bob the rear aprox 4'' to lighten and shorten it up.

I've been watching that trailer on CL for the past few months. I secretly wanted it. It's in better shape than the pics in the ad showed it to be. Good score!

Welcome to the Portal..

Same here and took the dive. Got it at a price I couldn't pass up.

Looks like a Bungalow Bar trailer...lol

I see 35"'s no fender flares....
Was used as a hot dog trailer at one time lol.
I would remove the fenders but not legal where I live.

I like it!
It would look cool with custom delivery graphics on the side.
Are you planning on keeping the current fenders?

When the body company mounted there on the cab and chassis they used the makers fenders.
I have seen ford, dodge, and studabaker models.

Agreed, so far i found 3 pic's of similar beds used by telephone service co in the 50's.
Looks like they came in different length's and fenders.
The panel's are far from straight so graphic's may be a solution to hide some of it.
Not sure which fenders to go with but the ones on there need to go.

Sad

video with a similar one in it from the 50's...pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw00oTferM4

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Josh at Manley trailers has a nice 12.5" fender he sells. Check with him.

Here are some Service body models I found.

Good score on this trailer.

What are your thoughts on taillights? Vintage would look cool.

Attachments

• aftrailer2.jpg
    aftrailer2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 00100065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d9-0000-0000-000000000000_20120815223319_Bell-Ph.jpg
    00100065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d9-0000-0000-000000000000_20120815223319_Bell-Ph.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 26
  • 2886686534_3b1f7a75b0_z.jpg
    2886686534_3b1f7a75b0_z.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 26
  • aftrailer1.jpg
    aftrailer1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 173
  • imagesCAIJ5C99.jpg
    imagesCAIJ5C99.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 173
  • $T2eC16FHJGgFFm0K+WoUBRwKgh4VVQ~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16FHJGgFFm0K+WoUBRwKgh4VVQ~~60_57.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 26

wasnt me

Those fenders look like they will fit the bill nicely.
Green shortbed truck looks like the one I have.
For taillight's I was thinking something recessed in the rear doors or ?
Thanks

wasnt me

Finally going to start building this thing since spring/summer wheeling season is around the corner.
Ordered a new 6 lug alco 3.5k axle and sliding ultimate jack.
Found a set of fjc steelies and 255/75/17 bfg mt tires on cl for reasonable prices.
Fenders will be ordered soon and will be priming the exterior tan but leave the top white.
Might have a paintless dent removal co tackle the dents..... or not.
Dents add character, right ?
The frame is 2x3 channel and I think I will just add gussets one additional cross brace and call it good.
That still leaves the hitch coupler and cant decide which way to go.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
I'm a hot rod builder by trade and like it has been mentioned before that is most likely a service bed off of a 40's and 50's commercial truck. They are making a come back in the Hot Rod truck world. Just saying if ya go to get rid of it you might be able to get a great price for it if advertised in the right area? But personally I think it will make a sweet expo trailer. Great find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles