Need help quick, what thickness steel for flooring

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I did a little searching, but I need help fairly quick as I have to go buy steel today for the flooring of my trailer project.

What thickness steel should I use? I was thinking 16 gauge, is this too thin? I certainly dont want any more than 14 gauge, but want to get some opinions.

My trailer is floor section is 5' x 6', and here you can see a few pictures if it matters. I dont mind adding some support bracing.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34786

~James

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
I have my build posted a few threads below yours. You can see what my frame looks like and what sections I'll have to clear. I was recommended by many fabricators/builders who do this type of thing for a living, that 14gu would be PLENTY and I could probably get away with 16gu. I went with 14gu for the floor and 16gu for my sides. A lot depends on what you'll be loading and carrying in your trailer-if you'll be dumping a lot of big rock for instance, may want to go a little heavier, or go diamond tread. -just quoted from what I was told. I have not yet put mine down. It looks pretty thin when you're handling full size sheets of it, but at the same time, 14gu is definitely much more robust than 16gu when you're sliding full sheets through your garage. When cut to size of my trailer 50"x74" (full 72" inside when tailgate is up), then full welded, I think it will be more than stout enough.

For what it's worth, AT uses 14gu, but different setups all together.

Best of Luck,

Mike

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Thanks Mike, I actually just got back from the steel place. I picked up two sheets of 14ga. 5'x8' and two sheets of 16ga. 4'x 10'. Thats the only way I could get the 16ga. and I need 5' wide for the floor, so I will use the 14 for the floor and lid, and 16 for the sides.

On a side note, its a LOT of fun driving through downtown Atlanta with 450 pounds of 10 foot long sheet steel strapped to the roof of a Jeep Cherokee. Good times....not.

Im off to do some welding.

~James

Airborne Lee

Observer
If you use your trailer like I use mine. use 14 on the floor if it does not cause any other issues. but 16 would be the thickest I would ever use on sides...

I used 14 on my lid and I can jump on it without any give. It is truly solid!

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
My 02 cents

Only you can answer your question. I know that sounds stupid, but there are many variables to consider. In a camping trailer, it is not uncommon to see 3/4" marine grade plywood used. Helps with the insulating factor and removes that "hollow" sound you will get from straight sheet metal.
As far as thickness goes, it will depend on the span of your structure below.
Remember, weight can be your enemy.
Try using plywood the first time and build a removable box on top for when you change your mind.
Enjoy, these things are a tinkerers paradise! Changing things is the way to make it perfect for you.
Lots of pictures.
Jeff

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
It had 3/4 treated ply on it originally, I hate wood floors on trailers, so that wasnt an option for me. Now that I have the steel all welded in on the floor, I am very glad I went with 14 gauge instead of 16 in the floor. Much more sturdy. The same size 14 gauge sheet as the 3/4 ply marine grade flooring that was originally in it cant weigh more than 20 pounds compared to the wood. That much extra weight I can spare to never have to worry about it.

Got it all welded up, will get some pics in my build thread soon.

Holy crap its hard to move a 4'x10' sheet of steel by yourself! Took me almost an hour to get the extra 3 sheets in the garage.

thanks for the advice everyone, James

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I was going to say 14ga if you ever intend to carry landscaping materials or something like that. 16ga if you never plan to carry rocks or hardood, and it's well braced. 18ga could be done with light camping loads, but risks getting divots. I have 18ga on my roof, and I can walk aroud up there no problem, but it would dent if hit with a rock, bouncing heavy camping gear, etc.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Out of curiousity, did you full weld, or stitch it? Top and bottom side both, or what exactly? Looking forward to your pics. I THOUGHT I was going to start sheeting mine, but then realized if I did, I wouldn't be able to fit my drill into the then-to-be tight spots, so back to drilling and burning in more DOM tube for wiring later, water lines later, etc., etc. So, my sheeting waits for another day... Glad the 14gu worked good for you. I think it will work well for me too-it better anyway, I have all my sheet up in the garage and have for a while now, patiently waiting...

Best of luck,

Mike

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Mike, I stitch welded it about every 6 inches or so. Top side for now, but will flip it over and definitely do the bottom next week. Seems to work fine so far. The reason I needed the floor asap is that we are taking a couch to my Sister-In-law's place in Birmingham this weekend, so I will get a quick little road test out of it.

Was a little sooner than I anticipated putting the floor in, but with my lift, I should be able to get to the underside fairly easy. When my wife said "you should go get the steel sheet you need to put the floor in the trailer so we can use it..." After getting up off the floor, I did just that. Those opportunities are rare!

~James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne