Need help picking an antenna for a Midland MXT400 to mount on my Subaru Outback.

MiamiC70

Need help picking an antenna for a Midland MXT400 to mount on my Subaru Outback.
Comet SBB-5
Comet SBB-7
Larsen NMO 2/70
Midland 6dB Gain MXTA11
Browning BR-1713-B-S
Diamond Antenna NR770HBNMO

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
This should probably be moved to the other thread. But of the ones you're looking at only the Midland is intended to work on GMRS. All the others are amateur radio antennas and so might cover GMRS but you'd have to check the specifications or actually test them to see if they're tuned for it.

The two services use different range of frequencies but they are close enough that an antenna might work alright for both or can be modified to work for GMRS. The main concern is if an antenna isn't tuned well it can damage your radio during transmit.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Higher is better. You can do a mag mount on the roof and not have to drill. I'd recommend getting an antenna with some gain to increase your output.

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
My recommendation is to google LMR 450-470 antenna or UHF 450-470 antenna

There are a ton of them and a lot of varieties available. If you can live with the downsides, the ubiquitous "phantom antenna" makes you look like an FBI vehicle.

Last edited:

Billoftt

If you can live with the downsides, the ubiquitous "phantom antenna" makes you look like an FBI vehicle.
And it doesn't annoy my wife as much when I use one on her minivan.

I haven't really experienced any downsides yet. I did have a 5/8 wave antenna on there and I honestly haven't noticed any difference in range. Realistically, a person isn't going to get too much extra range with a high-gain antenna that is only 5 feet above the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94