Need help on picking a 3/4 ton

D

Deleted member 9101

The 6.2 is an awesome engine. It pulls great and seems to last damn near for ever if you do the basic maintenance.

A close friend of mine has a F250 with the 6.2 and it has zero problems keeping up with traffic while towing a ~9k camper.

The fuel economy isn't horriable when you realize that it will burn the cheapest of gas all day long and never complain.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The 6.2 is great motor.

When shopping for the truck that would replace our old Powerstroke I was looking at 6.8 trucks.
The 2011 with the 6.2 popped up and I had no clue. I jumped into it knowing very little about the motor itself. The rest of the truck I knew well enough to not worry. Everything is overkill. Fortunately, the 6.2 is the motor it is. From where Im sitting, our 2011 6.2 will be the last truck we buy, ever. With our plans, it will last us until we call it quits. And Im perfectly happy with that. Its got good power, runs on regular, mileage is decent, and is dirt cheap to maintain.

wirenut

Adventurer
I wish I could find something like that local. I’ll have to keep looking. Out of curiosity does anyone know how much more weight a service bin bed weighs? I’ve seen two for sale with the service bed.
A 3/4T truck is a poor choice anyway for a TC with "all the amenities" as you said. TC are HEAVY. Now you're thinking of a service bed? A great idea for storage but also HEAVY. My '05 Chevy diesel dually has an aluminum service bed (not steel). With all my tools, equipment, and fuel and just me in the cab the truck weighs about 9,000 pounds. I used it to carry an 11' TC. This is a big camper but it was not a basement model and had no slides. With my family and the camper the truck weighed about 13,000 pounds. The truck's GVWR was 11,400 so I was over that but not over axle and tire limits.
I previously carried this same camper on an '07 Chevy regular cab long bed 4wd diesel. The truck and camper ready to travel weighed in about 11,100 pounds. The truck's GVWR was 9,900 so again, it was over the GVWR but not axle or tire limits.
If you're only looking at an 8 or 9 foot camper you might save 500 pounds or so. I would guess you'll be at between 10,000 and 11,000 pounds if you do go with a utility bed and TC. That's why people are saying a 3/4T, particularly with a heavy diesel engine, isn't the way to go.
Be aware that any TC with a bathroom won't fit on the vast majority of utility beds without modification. I learned that the hard way. There are specialty hauler beds available aimed at TC hauling that also incorporate storage. Or, you can get a flatbed with under bed boxes for storage and above bed boxes for storage. You can size and position the above bed boxes to accommodate the TC.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Most gasser 6.2 super duties will have a legit payload of 3500lbs or so.

My truck, for instance, a super cab, F250 4x4 has a GVWR or 10k and weighed a bit less than 6500lbs before I ripped the bed off to build a flatbed.

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat loading it to 12k full time. These are serious trucks.
Just going by axle ratings my little 3/4 ton Super Duty has a rating of roughly 17,000.
Thats 9700lbs or so for the rear Sterling 10.5 and roughly 7000lbs for the front super dana 60.
Wheels and tires, I'm good for about 16,000 at max PSI.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Beware trucks with service utility beds. Adding a bed to an existing pickup is no problem. But buying a work truck that rolled away from the factory with a service body can be a problem.

Service trucks are often bought de-rated for insurance or licensing purposes. 250, 350, 550, doesn't matter, might only have a 9800# GVWR. You want to buy a F350 derated to only 1500#, "no problem" they say.

Many of my work trucks can't legally hall a slide in camper of any decent size. This way we can buy F350's, that have more beef and reliability, but only have F150-like insurance costs. You can't fix that sticker.

MattF350

Observer
for slide in, Id go f350 minimum. Preferably gas. Foor extra cargo load. My 2011 F350 CCLB has a CCC of 3601. Fiinding one, even an f250 for $15k or less may be a stretch. It may be a bit older.

Chorky

Observer
So here is another perspective for the good of the group that hasn't been discussed yet I don't think. Another thing to consider with vehicle/system choice is weights in the conditions you will operate, or most likely operate. I think, even for myself, so many people get caught up with how much they can tow and haul so they can have everything and don't consider the consequences (or benefits) of that weight in different situations. So for example, you couldn't realistically expect someone in a Earth Roamer with a GVW of 16.5 tons to actually traverse the same sort of ground as a 5 ton F350. Some time ago I watched a video of some guy in a Earth Roamer who camped by some lake getting stuck in just a few inches of mud. The winch couldnt' even help with multiple line pulls because that darn thing was so heavy! Even 5 tons have a tough time with mud, snow, and even just steep grades. And when a big heavy truck gets stuck, your in for some fun.... But sure it has a great interior, and would be fine on paved surfaces. What I'm saying is, maybe before looking at a truck for the sake of how much weight it can physically pack, make a list and assess the true purpose you plan to operate your rig in, being realistic of situations, not some dream world. Then arbitrarily set your limits for what you know what vehicle and combination will traverse those situations, then build a system from there. That's what I did anyway....and sure, compromises have to be made. Otherwise, you may find your actual use of said system will be less than planned and result in you selling it to get a more appropriate system, costing double the money in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior