Need help on picking a 3/4 ton

zooroadbaja

Adventurer
Quick search online shows 2011 f350 ext cab 4x4 6.2 gas motor 111k miles asking 15900.00. Probably get it under 15 and its twice the truck as an old 99 f250 with leaf springs.
Have a link? To my understanding 1 tons require and extra fee because of the weight or something?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
zoo, I'm thinking a gas truck also with your budget in mind. But beware of the '90's to 2005 Ford frames. Too much flex. Not good for a truck camper,especially if you are going to XTC it. As recommended by a poster above, look for an already built up unit: truck and camper already mated. There are a lot of old men getting out of the TC biz, who are willing to let their complete package go.
If you get one of the lightest, full featured hardside campers; and with a little suspension/tire/wheel tweeking, there is no problem carrying the load. At least that's been my experience. Off road in Death Valley: Note no air conditioning. Too much weight up high.

fishnski

Have the seller send you a picture of these stickers. This is for a diesel 3/4 ton. Gas will have more payload capacity because they weigh less.

Attachments

• 963D6C3E-F558-4D87-8F90-C373C4F5A96B.jpeg
    963D6C3E-F558-4D87-8F90-C373C4F5A96B.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 55

UHAULER

Explorer
Right now i'm doing something similar, putting together a truck/camper on a budget . I picked up a clean 94 f350 crewcab with a 460. For your budget you should be able to get a clean 2008-2012 f250/350 with either the v10 or 6.2
For the camper try to look for the smallest and lightest within your budget. Lance made a narrow camper, 86" wide, the 165 and the 815.

BajaSurfRig

I got a clean 96 F350 7.3 4x4 CCLB Grandpa edition for under your budget with 212k. If you sit and wait patiently (took me 4 months of CL hunting) you can find one if that is the route that you want to go.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I like that green one above, what kind of MPG do those v10's get. My 6.0 chevy gets 13-15.

zooroadbaja

Adventurer
I got a clean 96 F350 7.3 4x4 CCLB Grandpa edition for under your budget with 212k. If you sit and wait patiently (took me 4 months of CL hunting) you can find one if that is the route that you want to go.

I’m in no rush. I have a 2014 Silverado that’s paid off so it’s getting me by for the time being.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Regarding the big gasser mpg question and also that last posting above on the 2011 F350.....

FWIW, I’ve got a Tiger fully self contained camper built on an ‘11 4WD F350 body with the 6.2. Great truck, great powerful and responsive engine...and my best mpg during our zig zagging fall 4,000 miles trip from AZ to Georgia and back was 15.9, but overall I averaged probably more like 13 on the highways and back roads we traveled.

Last edited:

dreadlocks

If you want a good deal on a truck you should settle your self to the fact that your going to need to fly to the midwest and drive it home.. or is importing a non-cali car into cali too much hassle?

I've flown all over the country to acquire the vehicle I want at a price I'm willing to pay, the market I live in makes it worth the trip.. plus nothing like putting a couple thousand miles on a brand new truck to prove its worth further investment and not a bag of issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles